PDA

View Full Version : Big Thanks to Sabre Defence

RRMan03
07-09-08, 13:24
I would like to put in a big thanks to Sabre Commercial sales director for answering many questions I ask in a rather lengthly email about Sabre AR's.I now know about everything I need to know about their guns.The only thing I did not like was no M16 Bolt Carrier option on Semi guns at all.M16 BCG only on F/A guns.Also commercial specs on stock tube not mil spec.For the good they have exceptional barrels and many different configurations and are all ISO 9000 certified which is real good if you are into engineering specs.They do make about everything in house except pins. I also ask about cusyomer service as far as repair and was told they would make any problem right unless you blew you gun up being stupid. I will be placing a big order shortly for about 4 different models.

markm
07-09-08, 13:37
That's great to know! I have an upper that's giving me grief. I'm going to give it one last shot with a different buffer this weekend before I have to contact them.

Lumpy196
07-09-08, 14:52
That's great to know! I have an upper that's giving me grief. I'm going to give it one last shot with a different buffer this weekend before I have to contact them.

What is it and what is it doing?

Paulinski
07-09-08, 15:04
If I remember correctly it won't lock the bolt open after last shot. ;)

markm
07-09-08, 15:13
It's a long story....

I bought one of the 11.5" flat top shorties. While I was waiting for my NFA approvals, I put it on MudBug's SBR lower so I could get it zeroed ahead of my papers. He runs a 9mm buffer because his SBR doubles as a 5.56 and a 9mm. In any case it ran fine on the limited number of rounds I put through it.

Since I did two SBRs at the same time, this one kinda sat around for a few months before I brought it out for some serious shooting. So I finally get it out, and I start getting failures to lock back. At this time, I'm shooting my handloads which are somewhat mild. I suspect the ammo so I bust out a box of XM193.... same problem.

So then I get to thinking it's the buffer/spring combo. I put the shorty on my other, fully functional lower. It locks back with some AE 55gr FMJs on the first pass. So I try XM193, and it fails to lock back. I switch back to AE, and it fails on the second try. In all of this swapping shit around nonsense I also try a wide variety of mags, and two different BCGs. Nothing helps. It's something unique to the upper assembly.

Now all of the failures are happening with H buffers. Both guns have them installed, and I haven't been out with MudBug again to try the heavy buffer. The gun seems to recoil nice and hard like it's running well, and the brass ejects normally. No trickling out of the port or anything.

I plan to try an H2 buffer, and a rifle buffer system this weekend before I give Sabre a shout.

Lumpy196
07-09-08, 15:22
And the lower doesn't do this with other uppers?

markm
07-09-08, 15:26
And the lower doesn't do this with other uppers?

I didn't check that.

I'm assuming that my non NFA upper will run the lower, but I have not confirmed this.

Great. :rolleyes: I'll add that to my research list. :p

I drove all the way out to Superior TWICE last weekend to try and crack this case. This shit is costing me a fortune in gas and ammo!

Lumpy196
07-09-08, 15:37
Pop a new bolt catch, plunger and spring and see what happens.

shrug

markm
07-09-08, 15:43

shrug

That's what I thought it might have been when it locked back the bolt on my other lower with that round of AE.

Then it failed a couple of times after that, and I got crapped out again. It's a slippery God damned problem. Every time I think I've isolated it, it acts up again.

markm
07-12-08, 12:44

shrug

Don't shrug! You were RIGHT! I popped out the bolt catch. Smoothed the shit out of it, polished the plunger, and clipped a coil off of the spring.

The gun ran flawlessly this morning. I ran a lot of 2 round mags through the gun, and it didn't miss a beat. It's just a fluke that the second lower I tested this upper on is gritty and has TOO much spring tension.

I'm glad I didn't send the upper back to Sabre or bother them. I really wanted to be certain before I started contacting them. Shit! I'm happy to get this ass ache behind me.