PDA

View Full Version : Daily rifle carry in public

JulyAZ
03-18-15, 22:58
If possible, and while in some locations it is, how many of you would want to carry your rifle with you at all time throughout your day? To work, Wal-Mart, anywhere else you might travel. Slung over your shoulder. Not concealed. Never to be left unattended in a car or such. With you at all times.

Hypothetically if it were socially acceptable how many of you would do this?

Sometimes I would feel a lot better if I could (at times I do take it in a discrete bag). Although I live in Arizona, to my knowledge legally I could do this (but don't due to the hassles it may/will cause on a daily basis), I am not an open carry advocate to make a statement like you see on YouTube or other media outlets causing more negative attention than anything. This is just a question if it was more socially acceptable in our society would you?

I did OC a pistol from 18 until I was 21 since legally that was the only way I could carry, but the month after I turned 21 I already had my CCW and haven't OC'ed since.

So for myself I would say yes I would. How about you? And reasoning for your answers please

Edit:in the scenario Gun Free Zones do not exist.

SilverBullet432
03-18-15, 22:59
They do it in israel. Swiss do it too I believe.

Dienekes
03-18-15, 23:22
Good grief.

JulyAZ
03-18-15, 23:25
Good grief.

Just a "what if"

Not let's all go out and do it.

MountainRaven
03-18-15, 23:42
I'd do it if it were socially acceptable and there were no "Gun Free Zones" (including employers).

Hell, I'd carry a sword (or an axe) if it were socially acceptable and the only reason I wouldn't go nude in public (were it socially acceptable and weather allowing) is because I don't think anybody would want to see it!

Why would I? Why wouldn't I? If you can carry a rifle instead of a handgun, you carry a rifle instead of (or in addition to) a handgun. Seems like a no brainer to me.

SteyrAUG
03-19-15, 00:46
I did a poll several years ago asking the same question and IIRC about half the membership said they would.

For me personally, it would be based upon perceived threat / risk assessment. Having carried a rifle for weeks on end, the novelty wears off after the first couple days. I can't imagine trying to go get lunch, do some shopping and day to day stuff with a slung rifle. It would become a pain in the ass pretty quick. Also you have to have CONSTANT muzzle control awareness. People are already pretty stupid with handguns, I hate to think how many people would get muzzle swept if every dickhead with a M70 AK went to the grocery store or sat down in a restaurant booth with his rifle.

Based upon what I typically see at gun shows it probably wouldn't be pretty. I support open carry, but it would come with a full set of luggage.

Moose-Knuckle
03-19-15, 02:32
Negates my gray man modus operandi.

SteyrAUG
03-19-15, 02:48

Yes, but if / when there was a situation where it would be the most practical thing to have, I'd prefer to have the option. When they tried to whip up a Michael Brown riot near my wife's job I brought a MP5K-pdw in a discrete case that looked like a laptop bag in addition to my SIG handgun when I picked her up from work. I'd have preferred to have slung a Colt 6945, but that wouldn't have been a legal option.

The only reason I'd daily sling a rifle is if I lived back in Iowa and decided to walk to my "plinking spot" for a little relaxation.

Moose-Knuckle
03-19-15, 02:54
Yes, but if / when there was a situation where it would be the most practical thing to have, I'd prefer to have the option. When they tried to whip up a Michael Brown riot near my wife's job I brought a MP5K-pdw in a discrete case that looked like a laptop bag in addition to my SIG handgun when I picked her up from work.

With the recent troubles I've been EDC'ing a side folder SAR-1 in a BFG Denied Area bag to and from work.

11B101ABN
03-19-15, 05:21
Only if I was assigned a foot beat. The citizens would s**t themselves, though.

Eurodriver
03-19-15, 05:27
Only if I was assigned a foot beat. The citizens would s**t themselves, though.

If we were all carrying rifles, it would be you that would be shitting yourself homie.

jpmuscle
03-19-15, 05:32
Well if nothing else crime rates would tick downward.

Koshinn
03-19-15, 06:31
I wouldn't, I'd still CCW a pistol because carrying a rifle everywhere is a pain in the ass, even now you'd be extremely unlikely (as in most people would never use it in their entire life) to use it and in your scenario, you'd be even less likely to need it since there will be many good citizens carrying rifles to deter crime.

usmcvet
03-19-15, 07:48

This is my thought. I know many of us carry when ever and where ever legal. I also do it for a living. It is work, you need to be vigilant. I would much rather the bad guy have no idea I have a weapon until it is too late for them. I do have a sneaky bag with an SBR in it and a Head tennis racket bag with another in it. Problem is I don't much look like a tennis player :cool:

SomeOtherGuy
03-19-15, 08:14
If possible, and while in some locations it is, how many of you would want to carry your rifle with you at all time throughout your day? To work, Wal-Mart, anywhere else you might travel. Slung over your shoulder. Not concealed. Never to be left unattended in a car or such. With you at all times.
Hypothetically if it were socially acceptable how many of you would do this?

No interest. WAY too much hassle and I simply don't live in or want to be anywhere close to areas where the threat level is high enough that it would be useful. It also marks you as the first target for any bad guys if not everyone is carrying a rifle. I'd rather spend an hour practicing handgun every single day than have to carry a rifle 12+ hours of every day.

markm
03-19-15, 08:25
I absolutely WOULD NOT do this unless we were in a total collapse of some sort.

skijunkie55
03-19-15, 08:46
Backpack SBR. Problem solved :)

Averageman
03-19-15, 08:50
I would rather conceal or open carry a pistol and be able to get to my SBR in the truck.
I hated it in the military, I made every effort to do it well and in my experience it isn't always easy. Those around you who are less vigilant also make it harder for everyone else.
I could do it if the situation ever called for it again, but it isn't something I would enjoy doing again.

markm
03-19-15, 08:54
I would rather conceal or open carry a pistol and be able to get to my SBR in the truck.

Exactly this.

Big A
03-19-15, 15:38
No thank you. The majority of new gun owners these days make me extremely nervous.

brickboy240
03-19-15, 15:55
I don't plan on open carrying a pistol now that it is legal to do so in my state...ditto for open carrying a rifle.

I prefer nobody know a damn thing about what I have or own or my financial status. No flashy cars, watches, clothing and yes...no nice expensive guns out for everyone and his dog to see.

I think you are just begging for trouble by doing this but I do not want to impede your choice to make bad decisions at all so go head on if you wish.

cbx
03-19-15, 16:22
I'll say no thanks. If it's to the point that you may actually need a long gun, I'd say shtf is well past and it's dog eat dog....

That would suck, so very badly.

Even in a society as usual, that would still be a pain. I'd carry a long gun broken down or folded in a back pack long before open carry a long gun.

Don't give your threats Intel on what your capable of.

I could see it now. About the time someone press checks their colt ar15 in the applebees everyone would freak the **** out.

sevenhelmet
03-19-15, 16:32
Despite the PITA factor, I know I'd carry a rifle in addition to a concealed handgun if a bunch of other people carried rifles openly. The minimum would be a rifle and spare mags in my truck, and a pistol either open or concealed, depending on the situation. I would do that now, except that state and work rules prevent me from doing so.

I think the only way that socially acceptable rifle carry would be realistic is during some kind of major unrest, disaster, or disruption in the normal order of our society, which would change everything, especially our routines and perceived threat level.

Business_Casual
03-19-15, 19:39
If possible, and while in some locations it is, how many of you would want to carry your rifle with you at all time throughout your day?

Isn't that called being "in the Infantry?"

sevenhelmet
03-19-15, 19:42
I think he means possible as in legal. It's legal in a lot of places, but not necessarily considered accepted behavior.

JoshNC
03-19-15, 21:09
I would carry a rifle, but not in the open. I would carry a concealed handgun and keep a SIG 553 or HK53 in a very discrete courier/laptop bag. The only way I would openly carry a rifle would be if society had completely collapsed.

26 Inf
03-19-15, 21:11
As many have mentioned, carrying and keeping track of a rifle 24/7 gets old quick, it isn't like a pistol.

If you skyline yourself by OCing anything, unless you intend to trust your safety to the goodwill of all you meet, you always have to be walking around in condition orange, which is more stressful than always being in yellow. You in essence up the penalty for any lapse of awareness if you are OCing.

I'd do it but only if I also got to wear a tactical ball cap with a 'I'm A Sheepdog' morale patch and a t-shirt that said 'Sheeple - I'm Your Savior'

SeriousStudent
03-19-15, 21:18
Isn't that called being "in the Infantry?"

Been there, done that, got out.

I worked three jobs for two years, so I could put a down payment on a house in a really nice suburb. I now pay property taxes so that the local PD can issue SBR's to the guys on patrol. And I'm perfectly happy with that.

If I need to hump a rifle everywhere I go every day, I'm moving again. Screw that grunt stuff, I have the bad back and knees to show what a pain that was.

If I think I need a rifle someplace, I just don't go there. (See the Rule of the Three Stupids) I ain't a Lance Coolie anymore, they can't order me to go someplace I don't want to be.

SeriousStudent
03-19-15, 21:20
As many have mentioned, carrying and keeping track of a rifle 24/7 gets old quick, it isn't like a pistol.

If you skyline yourself by OCing anything, unless you intend to trust your safety to the goodwill of all you meet, you always have to be walking around in condition orange, which is more stressful than always being in yellow. You in essence up the penalty for any lapse of awareness if you are OCing.

I'd do it but only if I also got to wear a tactical ball cap with a 'I'm A Sheepdog' morale patch and a t-shirt that said 'Sheeple - I'm Your Savior'

No 5.11 pants?? What about your fixed blade knife with the giant sawteeth on the back?

MountainRaven
03-19-15, 21:21
I think he means possible as in legal. It's legal in a lot of places, but not necessarily considered accepted behavior.

Unless it's socially acceptable - barring total societal collapse - I wouldn't open carry a rifle.

Now, in a discrete case or tennis racket case? Different story.

SteyrAUG
03-19-15, 22:02
No 5.11 pants?? What about your fixed blade knife with the giant sawteeth on the back?

If I'm slinging a rifle, I'm putting a katana in the belt. That should buy me LOTS of discretion while people wonder about my exact mental state.

You might go mess with somebody who has a slung rifle. You might go mess with somebody with a katana. Nobody messes with a somebody who has a slung rifle AND a katana.

J8127
03-19-15, 22:16
No way. I barely want to carry the damn thing deployed.

l8apex
03-19-15, 22:51
If I'm slinging a rifle, I'm putting a katana in the belt. That should buy me LOTS of discretion while people wonder about my exact mental state.

You might go mess with somebody who has a slung rifle. You might go mess with somebody with a katana. Nobody messes with a somebody who has a slung rifle AND a katana.

Lol. Walking Dead.

Unless your very very very remote i.e. your own remote ranch property CONUS or Alaska you will probably draw the wrong kind of attention.

11B101ABN
03-19-15, 23:55
If we were all carrying rifles, it would be you that would be shitting yourself homie.

Not likely.

Ever.

SteyrAUG
03-20-15, 01:42
Lol. Walking Dead.

Unless your very very very remote i.e. your own remote ranch property CONUS or Alaska you will probably draw the wrong kind of attention.

I have a plan...

To quote Sasaki Kojiro "This sword came back from Master Honami's only yesterday...It's sharp"

After that if they give me any crap I show them my "Turning Swallow Cut."

Moose-Knuckle
03-20-15, 02:16
This is my thought. I know many of us carry when ever and where ever legal. I also do it 40+ hours a week. It is work, you need to be vigilant. I would much rather the bad guy have no idea I have a weapon until it is too late for them. I do have a sneaky bag with an SBR in it and a Head tennis racket bag with another in it. Problem is I don't much look like a tennis player :cool:

Just wear some of those Magnum P.I. Navy SEAL short trunks and it'll throw people off . . . :lol:

Iraqgunz
03-20-15, 05:48
It is completely 100% legal to open carry any firearm in AZ. Nullum crimen, nulla poena sine praevia lege poenali. The police may stop and ask questions if you are walking about, but that depends on whether or not they received a call.

I carry one in my vehicle when practical, but walking around with it simply because I can is silly.

brickboy240
03-20-15, 10:09
If you feel the need to sling your AR, AK or whatever for your trip to work or shopping...maybe it is time for you to move?

nova3930
03-20-15, 10:38
I got nothing against it if it floats your boat, but me personally, I'm just damn well not gonna hang out places where I feel the need to tote a rifle every day. If I wanna hang out in places where you need to tote a rifle, well, there's a couple outfits I know of that will pay me to do it, in exotic locations even....

sevenhelmet
03-20-15, 11:09
I'm curious what prompted the OP's question in the first place. Personally, I think having the option for OC is great, but so is CC, and it's a hell of a lot easier to blend in. I like blending in and avoiding any known hotspots until it becomes more advantageous to be overt, which in most situations here in CONUS, it isn't.

But again, hypothetically if I'm in a situation where people around me are carrying rifles, I will sling up too, if for no other reason than to keep things on the level. Having only a pistol when everyone else has rifles is better than having nothing, but still kind of sucks.

markm
03-20-15, 11:11
Personally, I think having the option for OC is great

This is very true. I mean if things are deteriorating rapidly, you may want that option without having to worry about getting arrested for being armed.

JulyAZ
03-20-15, 11:58
I'm curious what prompted the OP's question in the first place. Personally, I think having the option for OC is great, but so is CC

Actually what prompted the question was simple and less about carrying in the everyday. I was just planning some hiking trips in areas where I have personally encountered mountain lions and bear.

And in some area the trails have lots of human activity more city folks who aren't used to firearms yet want to be in secluded areas of the state with no protection. And give me strange looks knowing the dangers, and although I wouldn't be there for hunting I refuse to be out there unprotected. As since most my trips I travel alone.

I was just thinking if these people give me looks in the middle of nowhere what would they do if it were to be everyday thing, and how many would partake before they become numb to the sight of firearms.

Some of these trips I can choose a discrete carry bag, vs others where I need supplies and have no room for a SBR in a bag and have to have it slung over my shoulder.

So it just got me wondering about daily carry so I thought I'd ask who if any would want one with them. As the saying goes a pistol is good to get you to your rifle, and if I had a choose id rather a rifle than a pistol, but from a common sense view a rifle is not a good or practical choice, for multiple reasons, yet at times I wouldn't mind one with me. So for me it's a G19 for my daily carry.

markm
03-20-15, 12:06
If I'm out in the sticks hiking or whatever, I've got a rifle with me no matter what. I try to discretely carry it at my side or something if I come across others. But I don't care if they're unhappy with it.

We used to carry long guns at a Peralta Trail here in AZ.... then went back after several years and the trail had become high traffic and had a full parking lot and gobbs of kids and stuff... so I didn't like having my AR with all the people around.

prdubi
03-20-15, 12:19
I did an experiment for one week wearing my Mauser C96 with the wooden stock holster. I walked everywhere and biked everywhere. Noone batted an eye in Oregon, not even the cops. 99.99999 percent the people didn't even know what it was. The only person that recognized it was an old taiwanese guy who was a former Nationalist soldier in Chi and then immigrated. He wanted to buy it from. me right away. One curious hipster asked if it was a gun and I told him yes... and was stating it sure looked like a carpenters belt with a hammer.

Seagunner
03-20-15, 13:10
I just keep seeing episodes of the Rifleman in my head. Seemed perfectly normal carrying a rifle, going about your business with your 9 year old boy. I think people can't wrap their head around the AR-15 platform. It's never seen as a "winchester". Usually only as a battle rifle. Not enough "normal" exposure as a plain old rifle.

SilverBullet432
03-20-15, 14:13
Am I right to assume that (here in TX) if you carry an AR "pistol" in you backpack, you'd need a CHL to carry it?

26 Inf
03-20-15, 18:58

Well, describing the whole get up would have bogged down the servers. :D

sevenhelmet
03-20-15, 19:09
Am I right to assume that (here in TX) if you carry an AR "pistol" in you backpack, you'd need a CHL to carry it?

Yes, I believe you would.

SeriousStudent
03-20-15, 22:25

Carry, yes - a CHL is needed.

Travel in your car, no. One may carry a loaded concealed pistol in their vehicle without a CHL. But if you want to bebop down the avenue with it, ya need the magic laminated card.

SeriousStudent
03-20-15, 22:29
Well, describing the whole get up would have bogged down the servers. :D

LOL, true. Just the description of the ankle holster for the Hi-Point would be 6 pages alone.

MountainRaven
03-20-15, 22:40
I just keep seeing episodes of the Rifleman in my head. Seemed perfectly normal carrying a rifle, going about your business with your 9 year old boy. I think people can't wrap their head around the AR-15 platform. It's never seen as a "winchester". Usually only as a battle rifle. Not enough "normal" exposure as a plain old rifle.

I don't think it was actually normal outside of TV land, but I wasn't around in the 1880s, so I don't know.

SteyrAUG
03-20-15, 23:29
I don't think it was actually normal outside of TV land, but I wasn't around in the 1880s, so I don't know.

In my grandparents house used to be a picture of my Dad and his brother when they were maybe 12-14 years of age walking down the sidewalk with slung rifles ('03 Springfield and 1917 Enfield). Every weekend they would walk from their house to a local shooting gallery on the edge of town. This would have been in the 1950s.

MountainRaven
03-21-15, 15:39
In my grandparents house used to be a picture of my Dad and his brother when they were maybe 12-14 years of age walking down the sidewalk with slung rifles ('03 Springfield and 1917 Enfield). Every weekend they would walk from their house to a local shooting gallery on the edge of town. This would have been in the 1950s.

But did they carry their rifles everywhere? Did their parents? Or were they just carried to and from the range with the occasional stop at the drugstore for a soda or ice cream?

SteyrAUG
03-22-15, 02:01
But did they carry their rifles everywhere? Did their parents? Or were they just carried to and from the range with the occasional stop at the drugstore for a soda or ice cream?

Of course not, those were heavy rifles. :laugh:

I'm not trying to say it was like the wild west were everyone had a rifle. But back in the 1950s junior high kids could walk through town with rifles and a back pack of ammo and nobody would raise an eyebrow. Even during the late 70s and early 80s most of the main street diners and coffee shops had a rack where you could store your cased firearm during hunting season.

There was also the short lived time my father owned a Derringer and carried it in his coat pocket to go shooting at another spot on the edge of town. There was a hill overlooking a lake (with thankfully nothing behind it but woods) and my father (in his early teens) went prone on top of the hill with a saucer and teacup hold and fired at a floating leaf in the center of the lake (perhaps a 25 yard shot) and missed by a few inches.

Duly impressed my father was amazed at the accuracy of such a small handgun. He double cocked the hammer to take another shot at the leaf and completely missed the lake. He later sold the Derringer.

Iraqgunz
03-22-15, 06:58
Had you mentioned this early on, you would have received different responses. The scenario you laid out is much different than bopping down the avenue to Chipotbucks.

Actually what prompted the question was simple and less about carrying in the everyday. I was just planning some hiking trips in areas where I have personally encountered mountain lions and bear.

And in some area the trails have lots of human activity more city folks who aren't used to firearms yet want to be in secluded areas of the state with no protection. And give me strange looks knowing the dangers, and although I wouldn't be there for hunting I refuse to be out there unprotected. As since most my trips I travel alone.

I was just thinking if these people give me looks in the middle of nowhere what would they do if it were to be everyday thing, and how many would partake before they become numb to the sight of firearms.

Some of these trips I can choose a discrete carry bag, vs others where I need supplies and have no room for a SBR in a bag and have to have it slung over my shoulder.

So it just got me wondering about daily carry so I thought I'd ask who if any would want one with them. As the saying goes a pistol is good to get you to your rifle, and if I had a choose id rather a rifle than a pistol, but from a common sense view a rifle is not a good or practical choice, for multiple reasons, yet at times I wouldn't mind one with me. So for me it's a G19 for my daily carry.

Turnkey11
03-22-15, 13:14

Every time I hit the trail I have an AR. SW Missouri has more than enough reasons to do so, the expansion of aggressive feral hogs or the abundance of backwoods meth labs to name a couple. You would be a fool to romp around the ozarks without one.

Eurodriver
03-22-15, 15:46
Every time I hit the trail I have an AR. SW Missouri has more than enough reasons to do so, the expansion of aggressive feral hogs or the abundance of backwoods meth labs to name a couple. You would be a fool to romp around the ozarks without one.

The Duggars dont bring ARs and they seem to do just fine. ;)

RMiller
03-22-15, 16:09
Pistol concealed. Rifle in the car.

SilverBullet432
03-22-15, 21:10
Yes, I believe you would.

Carry, yes - a CHL is needed.

Travel in your car, no. One may carry a loaded concealed pistol in their vehicle without a CHL. But if you want to bebop down the avenue with it, ya need the magic laminated card.

Confirmed. I always have the 9mm in the truck.

TF82
03-23-15, 06:34
Under the original scenario I suppose I would because I'm not going to be the only guy NOT carrying a rifle. That being said, I hope that never happens because it seems like it would be a huge pain in the ass. Where I live I don't think I'll ever have the fortune of any weapons becoming more socially acceptable though.

GunBugBit
03-23-15, 12:13
Carried a rifle for a living, don't want to again. If you think it would float your boat, carry one around for 18 hours and let me know how that works for ya.

pinzgauer
03-23-15, 14:10

On the 70s I routinely rode a 10 speed across town with an M1 carbine slung on my back. And usually a Smith model 13 with handloads from a Lee "hammer" loader. Hollow based wadcutters and unique were cheap. Shot several time a week all summer for under $10!

Never was stopped, did have SO come by the sandpit once, asked me how I like me ear pro (hard earned David Clark's), talked handloads, and drove on.

Turnkey11
03-23-15, 14:32
The Duggars dont bring ARs and they seem to do just fine. ;)

They're like a school of fish, just don't wanna be the slowest runner...

Iraqgunz
03-23-15, 14:50
Maybe you didn't read the post. No one is talking about carrying a rifle around for "18 hours" and certainly not day in and day out.

Carried a rifle for a living, don't want to again. If you think it would float your boat, carry one around for 18 hours and let me know how that works for ya.