PDA

View Full Version : KNS Hammer Cage tool

Ned Christiansen
03-19-15, 17:41
I have a dollar for each one of you who looks at this and doesn't say "Now why didn't I think of that"?

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/gun-parts-and-accessories/ar-15-parts/hammer-cage.html

Somehow I ran across this last week and ordered one, thinking it might help out in classes. It is to make re-installing an AR hammer easier. I have my own little trick that works well but that's easy to say when you've done it so many times. I know many of you will say "I never had a problem", but in class there's always a guy or two who has trouble getting the hammer back in. It does take some finger strength and a high pain threshhold. I thought this might be worth a look.

I just got it and have only tried it on one rifle but as I fiddled with it I kept smiling and kinda shaking my head thinking, "cool".

In a nutshell you put the hammer in it, hook the hammer spring legs into it, and poof, you're not fighting the spring tension while getting the pin to line up. Once the pin is in you unhook the spring legs (a tool is provided but anything from a small screwdriver to a butterknife will do), and let them snap into their place on top of the trigger pin. I'll post some pics later.

StainlessSlide
03-19-15, 19:24
Danke, Ned.

What's your trick? Bind the hammer spring legs to the hammer itself, in some way?

I tried contouring some plastic jaw pliers to hold the hammer. The pain problem was eliminated, but it was clumsy.

This tool looks great.

polydeuces
03-19-15, 19:50
I ABSOLUTELY HATE installing triggers WITH A PASSION!!!and yes have wondered many times after ending up with nicks cuts bruises and all-around sore fingers out of breath cursing up a storm 'now why don't someone figure something out'...Looks like they finally did?
Saw it earlier and didn't have much faith considering how useless much of their stuff is, but yeah with your endorsement I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

SeriousStudent
03-19-15, 21:22
Thanks, Ned! I'm always looking for stuff that makes builds easier.

Ned Christiansen
03-19-15, 22:44
My trick is rock the hammer in until it'll stay cocked, even without the pin in place. In that position the holes are 90% lined up In you can finesse it from there. being cocked, it actually is holding the spring pressure for you so you're ot fighting it, but BEWARE, the hammer is dyin' to hit you in the bridge of the nose if it decides to come flying out. And those spring legs are sharp. Imagine waling into the E-room with an AR hammer hanging out of your eye-- so wear your glasses.

The Hammer Cage looked like something worth looking into and once looked into I thought it needed sharing.

Iraqgunz
03-20-15, 05:36
Gordon at KNS sent me some when they first came out. I said the same thing after I saw it. The responses thus far from everyone have been positive.

markm
03-20-15, 08:01
I'd have to see it in action to get it. But I've never had a huge problem getting hammers installed before. I guess if I was doing several at a time, a tool would be nice.

Ned Christiansen
03-20-15, 10:04
Yeah, that's where it would come in the handiest, when a guy had a bunch to do, or a room full of guys could pass a few of these around.

If I were the hammer-putter-inner at NedArmCo putting in a hundred hammers a day, I'd insist on having one!

markm
03-20-15, 10:19
Does it work with Geissele triggers? Those can be finger busters sometimes.

Ned Christiansen
03-20-15, 10:40
That I don't know. Here's a pic:

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo125/NedChristiansen/DSC01123.jpg

SOTAR
03-20-15, 13:00
Thanks for posting Ned. I'll be getting some of these for a build class. Students always struggle with Hammer Installations.

3 AE
03-20-15, 14:21
Found this on "YouTube". Around 2:08 he get's into showing how to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67_nKfgTe6E

jackblack73
03-20-15, 14:34
Looks like it would work with a Geissele. Geisseles, with their narrower hammers, are a bit rougher on the fingers than mil spec triggers.

StainlessSlide
03-20-15, 16:24
Tools that ease the routine stages of assembly help keep your gumption up for the real challenges that sometimes occur (as Robert Persig would say).

Berserkr556
03-20-15, 17:47
I'm a novice compared to most of you guys when it come to assembling an AR but I've never had a problem installing any FCG. Most of my ARs have Geissele SSA and I put them together in my lap like Bill shows in his videos. I am a tool guy and so I will buy at least one of these to test and who knows maybe I'll buy more because I like to have spares.

Sparky5019
03-20-15, 18:28
I'd have to see it in action to get it. But I've never had a huge problem getting hammers installed before. I guess if I was doing several at a time, a tool would be nice.

This. I have to admit that it does look good and the price is right.

Iraqgunz
03-20-15, 18:30
Not only is it good for installation but for removing as well. I have people struggling in the class while installing and removing hammers. This makes it pretty effortless.

jaxman7
03-21-15, 13:46

Amen to that.

-Jax

Iraqgunz
03-21-15, 15:12
It works with Geissele SSA trigger and the QMS, so my guess is that it works with most all.

78Staff
03-24-15, 01:00
Ordered one last night, and just happened to install two triggers tonight (mil spec types), both went quick with no issues lol....figures. Still, Geissele triggers are a bit of a hassle as already mentioned, so I'm sure it will come in handy.

556BlackRifle
03-26-15, 10:26
What a great idea. I'm going to order one. Thanks Ned!

SOWT
03-27-15, 19:40
Been meaning to order one, they are up the road from where I live. Guess I should ask if I can visit.

Iraqgunz
03-27-15, 20:52
You can go their place during the day. I don't remember the exact hours.

Been meaning to order one, they are up the road from where I live. Guess I should ask if I can visit.

Joe Mamma
03-28-15, 08:28
I'm a tool junkie, but I don't like the idea of having a tool to do something so simple. On the other hand, I never really liked installing the hammer assembly (with their springs and pins). It seems like you could egg out the holes in the lower receiver if you wrestle with the hammer pin (really the hammer and spring) too much to get everything lined up.

I am always been extremely careful with this step. I often use a slave pin which works great for me. But even a little wiggling or realignment of the hammer and pin can't be good for the lower receiver holes. If it's an SBR'd lower or one you just really like, this tool would nice to use.

Joe Mamma

Iraqgunz
03-28-15, 17:52
There are quite a few people that do not have the hand strength or dexterity to install the hammer. I have never found a slave pin to work at all for the hammer. This tool actually takes the spring tension away, and then allows you to simply drop in the hammer and push the pin in. It also allows you to remove the hammer in the same fashion.

I'm a tool junkie, but I don't like the idea of having a tool to do something so simple. On the other hand, I never really liked installing the hammer assembly (with their springs and pins). It seems like you could egg out the holes in the lower receiver if you wrestle with the hammer pin (really the hammer and spring) too much to get everything lined up.

I am always been extremely careful with this step. I often use a slave pin which works great for me. But even a little wiggling or realignment of the hammer and pin can't be good for the lower receiver holes. If it's an SBR'd lower or one you just really like, this tool would nice to use.

Joe Mamma

tommyrott
03-28-15, 18:15
I've tried to use a punch to help align the holes, went to this after getting hit in the face trying the cocked method, it is still a bear to keep it all aligned to start the pin. as stated several times this is one of those why didn't Eugene think of this definitely getting one

556BlackRifle
03-28-15, 21:35

Ordered mine on the 26th. Shipped same day and it arrived in today's mail. :) Also ordered some selector and pivot pin detente pins. Great company. If I lived nearby I'd visit often.

Edited to add:

I just finished putting together a lower with the cage and trigger pins. I wish I would've known about this sooner. Easily (for me anyway) best AR tool money ever spent!

78Staff
04-23-15, 10:22
Ordered one last night, and just happened to install two triggers tonight (mil spec types), both went quick with no issues lol....figures. Still, Geissele triggers are a bit of a hassle as already mentioned, so I'm sure it will come in handy.

Just a followup, definitely makes short, easy work of skinny, pointy Geissele hammers. Definitely a nice tool to have, imo. :moil:

StainlessSlide
04-26-15, 22:22
I also like the included spring tool. It's a rod with a transverse conical hole that picks up the end of the hammer spring. It makes it easy to remove the cage from the hammer, and also to make sure that the spring legs go into the notches on the trigger pin.

I was expecting some kind of dental pick, but it's much easier to use than that.

lysander
04-27-15, 06:09
I have a dollar for each one of you who looks at this and doesn't say "Now why didn't I think of that"?
Nice idea, but I have never found the spring of an M16 hammer spring stiff enough to pose difficulty during installation.

SteveL
04-27-15, 22:09
IG had a couple of these in his class last weekend. I thought it was neat so I ordered one. It came in a couple of days ago but I haven't used it yet.