PDA

View Full Version : Reducing pretravel via set screw in grip screw hole?

onebohemian
07-09-08, 16:35
I found a set of posts on another forum in which the owners of the particular rifle being discussed were reducing the pretravel/creep of their triggers by installing a set screw into the hole of the grip screw. The rifle was configured like an AR in that the "bottom" of the grip screw hole was located inside the fire control group and right underneath the rear of the trigger. The idea was to replace the grip screw with a slightly shorter one, but then before installing the grip, screw in a short set screw all the way through the grip screw hole and up into the FCG so that it would lift the rear of the trigger slightly to reduce the pretravel required to drop the hammer.

I can't find anyone talking about this type of mod on any of the AR forums I visit. The closest I've come to finding a similar set up is the Superior Arms lowers that are said to include a set screw for trigger adjustment. The second closest is a double screw thing that Brownell's sells which replaces the grip screw with a longer, hollowed out grip screw that has a set screw inside of it (at least that's the way it looks in the picture at Brownell's site).

Has anyone here done the same kind of thing with an AR? It seems like such a simple mod, and as long as the mod doesn't cause the rifle to fail a bump/drop test, or cause it to double, etc., I would think this would be o.k. to try-- at least for paper punching, etc. (i.e., no SD). I replaced my stock springs with a JP set and that reduced my pull weight significantly, but I'd like to remove some of the pretravel if I could without having to buy a replacement hammer and trigger.

Your thoughts?

RD62
07-09-08, 18:52
Not sure, but I think I'd just go with a new trigger myself...

But that's just me.

-RD62

scottryan
07-09-08, 19:50
I found a set of posts on another forum in which the owners of the particular rifle being discussed were reducing the pretravel/creep of their triggers by installing a set screw into the hole of the grip screw. The rifle was configured like an AR in that the "bottom" of the grip screw hole was located inside the fire control group and right underneath the rear of the trigger. The idea was to replace the grip screw with a slightly shorter one, but then before installing the grip, screw in a short set screw all the way through the grip screw hole and up into the FCG so that it would lift the rear of the trigger slightly to reduce the pretravel required to drop the hammer.

I can't find anyone talking about this type of mod on any of the AR forums I visit. The closest I've come to finding a similar set up is the Superior Arms lowers that are said to include a set screw for trigger adjustment. The second closest is a double screw thing that Brownell's sells which replaces the grip screw with a longer, hollowed out grip screw that has a set screw inside of it (at least that's the way it looks in the picture at Brownell's site).

Has anyone here done the same kind of thing with an AR? It seems like such a simple mod, and as long as the mod doesn't cause the rifle to fail a bump/drop test, or cause it to double, etc., I would think this would be o.k. to try-- at least for paper punching, etc. (i.e., no SD). I replaced my stock springs with a JP set and that reduced my pull weight significantly, but I'd like to remove some of the pretravel if I could without having to buy a replacement hammer and trigger.

Your thoughts?

What type of shooting are you doing?

Ridge_Runner_5
07-09-08, 19:52
My Superior Arms receiver has the trigger adjust...I turned it all the way in (primarily to facilitate the install of the pistol grip) and its a hair trigger...there is maybe 1/16th of an inch of travel before going bang...

DMZ666
07-09-08, 21:08
Has anyone here done the same kind of thing with an AR?
Yes
It seems like such a simple mod, and as long as the mod doesn't cause the rifle to fail a bump/drop test, or cause it to double, etc., I would think this would be o.k. to try-- at least for paper punching, etc. (i.e., no SD).
Fine for range and paper- it is not a substitute for a proper trigger or technique.There have been stories of failures using it (Bump fires, doubles etc)
- I haven't found any "real" proof in use but I haven't pushed it either.
I replaced my stock springs with a JP set and that reduced my pull weight significantly, but I'd like to remove some of the pretravel if I could without having to buy a replacement hammer and trigger.
I did the short grip screw/set screw/JP spring with my first lower. It worked ,but I really don't trust it for anything more than me alone at the range.

Your thoughts?
Buy a real trigger