PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of FNH USA FN-15

fowler
03-20-15, 06:34
Would this be a good M4 clone ? http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/carbines/fn-15-series/ I prefer Colt,but these seem well made too. Has anybody shot one ?

Unreconstructed
03-20-15, 11:23
I used both Colt and FN in the Army and I consider them equal.
I have a few Colts and I haven't used a civi FN.

If you buy a Colt, you will get a rifle that is equal to rifles Colt builds for the military.
That is not the case with FN. They cheapend the "civilian" line of rifles.
Therefore, easy decision to buy Colt between the two.

Ryno12
03-20-15, 12:33
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?143446-Is-FN-preparing-to-release-their-own-AR

Dead Man
03-20-15, 12:44
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?143446-Is-FN-preparing-to-release-their-own-AR

That thread is 40-something pages long. Mind summarizing?

Ryno12
03-20-15, 12:51
That thread is 40-something pages long. Mind summarizing?

So not only are people unwilling to search a particular subject, they also need it read to them??

Slater
03-20-15, 13:18
I recently bought one of the FN-15 rifles (20 inch barrel) but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. They've gotten good reviews as far as overall accuracy and build standard (fit and finish), but most would not consider them in the same league as Colt or BCM. They're probably more of a "middle of the road" AR, not quite top tier but better than Oly/Windham/etc.

For most of us range/plinking types they'll be fine, but you do get the big "FN" billboard on the side.

Dead Man
03-20-15, 15:00
So not only are people unwilling to search a particular subject, they also need it read to them??

I'm not the OP. I'm also not responsible for your bad day. Nor the 40-something pages of worthless comments that drowned out the topic and made that thread an impractical source of information. Apparently m4carbin.net's "signal to noise ratio" failed that day.

DWood
03-20-15, 15:41
This thread won't turn out any different. There will be very little support for the FN here.

Slater
03-20-15, 16:12
This thread won't turn out any different. There will be very little support for the FN here.

Maybe Jack Bauer will use one in a future episode and there'll be instant credibility :D

FNshooter
03-20-15, 17:14
I have one. Ive put roughly 3000 rds through it and it hasn't missed a beat. Nothing to complain about other then the Colt followers always seem to snub them....lol

Berserkr556
03-20-15, 17:15
I'm not the OP. I'm also not responsible for your bad day. Nor the 40-something pages of worthless comments that drowned out the topic and made that thread an impractical source of information. Apparently m4carbin.net's "signal to noise ratio" failed that day.

Kind of like your post. All noise and no meat.

OP buy the Colt.

WickedWillis
03-20-15, 17:37
I have one. Ive put roughly 3000 rds through it and it hasn't missed a beat. Nothing to complain about other then the Colt followers always seem to snub them....lol

Yeah no bias here lol

MountainRaven
03-20-15, 19:11
My LGS has some of the newer, more expensive models and they look better than the older, less expensive, more basic guns.

By which I mean: Castle nuts are staked, full-auto BCGs, H-marked buffer weights, barrels marked 5.56mm, 1:7" twist, cold hammer-forged, chrome-lined. And the gun that I handled was a mid-gas government contour. Had an MLOK handguard of unknown (to me) make. Was priced about what I'd expect to pay for a BCM or Daniel Defense with comparable features. Of course, I don't know what materials they're using (and as I was looking for curiosity's sake and not because I want one or anyone I know wants one, I don't care). And I'm not superfond of the Timney triggers they're using in the fancier models - I would prefer Geissele.

So I think the higher end, newer models are on par with BCM and Daniel Defense. But, because I haven't shot the crap out of a random selection of them and am not familiar with the materials used, I don't know that.

Offer not valid in all locations. Results not typical. Professional driver on closed course. Do not attempt. Your mileage may vary. Check your dealer for details.

Slater
03-20-15, 20:08
They came onto the market with 1:7 barrels marked 5.56mm that were chrome lined (I'm pretty sure). As far as price, mine (full length rifle) was $975 from Bud's. Dunno if that's typical or not.

POB
03-20-15, 20:52
Kind of like your post. All noise and no meat.

OP buy the Colt.

Simply amazing

MountainRaven
03-20-15, 21:32
They came onto the market with 1:7 barrels marked 5.56mm that were chrome lined (I'm pretty sure). As far as price, mine (full length rifle) was $975 from Bud's. Dunno if that's typical or not.

Meh. I didn't pay much attention to them. I assumed they were 1:9s based on the general consensus that they were hobbyist-grade.

TacticalMark
03-20-15, 22:12
From the link Ryno posted: Post 371
C4IGrant
C4IGrant is offline Dealer

Feedback Score
32 (100%)

I looked them over.

1. Castle nut isn't staked.
2. RE isn't 7075.
3. Car buffer
4. The one gun I looked at had misaligned barrel extension and feed ramps.
5. Selector is the same one DD uses.
6. FCG is unknown to me. Trigger had a lot creep and was heavy.
7. Gas key was staked fine.

Fit and finish looked fine. This a cheap AR that isn't built as well as a BCM or Colt. If that is ok with you, cool. Make no mistake about what you are getting though.

Post 363:
Iraqgunz
Iraqgunz is offline Industry Professional/Moderator

Feedback Score
85 (100%)

Here's my observation. I picked them up and looked at them to include opening them up.

1. Putting Loc-tite on the castle nut and not staking it, with the explanation that people may want to change the endplate out is ridiculous.

2. Using a standard buffer rather than an H buffer makes no sense.

3. Unknown fire control group parts. Not Schmid like Colt or ALG triggers.

4. Rifle had an F marked FSB. Why?

5. Not having the rollmark thing straight before the show. Makes little sense.

Overall with the price point that has been mentioned I don't see this as great value at all and someone looking for a similar M4 will be better served looking at Colt, BCM or others.

TacticalMark
03-20-15, 22:15
Would this be a good M4 clone ? http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/carbines/fn-15-series/ I prefer Colt,but these seem well made too. Has anybody shot one ?

The general consensus is they are not on par with Colt, I posted above a few SME's opinions on these rifles as I myself have never looked one over.

Stickman
03-21-15, 01:26

Seems to be a fair assessment.

GregP220
03-21-15, 09:30

In the age of Obama this surprises you how? :cool:

FNshooter
03-21-15, 12:05
A lot of the supposed downfalls for the FN are pretty lame in my eyes. So what if the castle nut isn't staked....we're big boys...if we want it staked then well stake it...pretty simple. Bottom line is that the rifle works...and works well. I have not had the pleasure of firing a Colt rifle but Im sure its a great rifle that you cant go wrong buying.

Iraqgunz
03-21-15, 15:46
Because it's so simple, there is no excuse no to do it.

A lot of the supposed downfalls for the FN are pretty lame in my eyes. So what if the castle nut isn't staked....we're big boys...if we want it staked then well stake it...pretty simple. Bottom line is that the rifle works...and works well. I have not had the pleasure of firing a Colt rifle but Im sure its a great rifle that you cant go wrong buying.

Turnkey11
03-21-15, 15:51
Availability is better for the Colt rifles and price is same or better than the FN's, seems like a no brainer.

PaLEOjd
03-21-15, 18:39

If it's that simple, why is it they insist on cutting corners and not properly staking it themselves? If you want to spend your money on something that is not assembled properly, you have every right to do so. Just don't be in awe when things start going wrong with your choice of corner cut AR.

FNshooter
03-21-15, 19:04
Why would you call it cutting corners? Maybe they know a lot of guys are going to put an aftermarket end plate on? For me the locktight is an acceptable alternative. Maybe both of these companies should install strap ready staked end plates and be done with it?

Im not here to fight..Im new to all this and have a pretty open mind. I think the Colt as well as the FN are fine rifles.

scottryan
03-21-15, 22:11
Why would you call it cutting corners? Maybe they know a lot of guys are going to put an aftermarket end plate on? For me the locktight is an acceptable alternative. Maybe both of these companies should install strap ready staked end plates and be done with it?

Im not here to fight..Im new to all this and have a pretty open mind. I think the Colt as well as the FN are fine rifles.

Most firearms sold in stores such as Cabelas, Scheels, your local dealer, etc are manufactured as a disposable consumer good made to generate as much profits as possible. They are intended to sit it a night stand drawer or gun cabnet and seldom if ever get used.

Firearms made to a professional quality standard (Colt, HK, Steyr, etc) are intended to kill people straight out of the box.

Zirk208
03-21-15, 22:24

Don't just focus on this one thing (staking). There were a half dozen other things mentioned in the previous post about short comings. Obviously FN knows how to build rifles for the military to a given standard. Why then do they change things up for their civy line and use parts/pieces/processes that are seen as lower quality or cutting corners? Answer...Cost savings.

FNshooter
03-21-15, 22:35
Don't just focus on this one thing (staking). There were a half dozen other things mentioned in the previous post about short comings. Obviously FN knows how to build rifles for the military to a given standard. Why then do they change things up for their civy line and use parts/pieces/processes that are seen as lower quality or cutting corners? Answer...Cost savings.

What parts do they change?

Ryno12
03-21-15, 22:41

That supposedly useless thread that I linked earlier explains your comment.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1805193

You'd benefit from reading it too.

FNshooter
03-21-15, 22:56
That supposedly useless thread that I linked earlier explains your comment.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1805193

You'd benefit from reading it too.

I see a lot of speculation about a gun that hadn't been offered to the public yet.....and most of it is from a Colt dealer....lol

FNshooter
03-21-15, 23:01
I have the rifle right here.....if anyone wants me to check anything IE parts/part numbers/markings let me know and I will let you know what it is or even text you a pic.

Iraqgunz
03-22-15, 02:55
Do yourself a favor. Read the information posted in those mentioned threads.

FNshooter
03-22-15, 05:20
Do yourself a favor. Read the information posted in those mentioned threads.

I did.

Its full of speculation and regurgitated mis-information by people with no hands on time with the rifle. Am I missing anything else?

Iraqgunz
03-22-15, 07:19
No actually it's not. You are persisting in being obstinate.

I did.

Its full of speculation and regurgitated mis-information by people with no hands on time with the rifle. Am I missing anything else?

C4IGrant
03-22-15, 08:08
I see a lot of speculation about a gun that hadn't been offered to the public yet.....and most of it is from a Colt dealer....lol

That Colt dealer knows quite a bit about the AR world, TDP and what FN can LEGALLY do. The fact is that the FN built AR is not up to the same quality as Colt.

If you like your AR, then great! No one is trying to get you to sell it. Only sharing the truth with you.

C4

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk