PDA

View Full Version : 300 Win Mag

williejc
03-21-15, 08:35
I associate this caliber with big game hunting and have absolutely zero first hand knowledge of the caliber. I'm curious about how shooters here have their 300 WM set up. For example, are muzzle brakes or porting used to control recoil? Sound suppressers for blast? Favorite ring and mounts? Scopes? What say you, Markm?

Devildawg2531
03-22-15, 11:06
I associate this caliber with big game hunting and have absolutely zero first hand knowledge of the caliber. I'm curious about how shooters here have their 300 WM set up. For example, are muzzle brakes or porting used to control recoil? Sound suppressers for blast? Favorite ring and mounts? Scopes? What say you, Markm?

For years I had a Rem 700 Sendero set up as a long range precision rifle. I had Badger rings and a Leuopold scope. I had no muzzle brake or suppressor so recoil was stiff. I would lose interest in shooting it after 15 or 20 rounds. I like the caliber and the potential but grew less fond of some shortcomings with the 700. I considered upgrading the rifle but decided to sell it and buy a higher end rifle in 300 mag but haven't done so yet.

MadcapMagician
03-22-15, 19:22
A muzzle brake and/or suppressor is the way to go. I've got a Titan-QD about ready to pick up for mine as I don't care for the concussion of a brake when shooting more than a handful of rounds.

I'm kinda biased, but I like the Nightforce ATACR 5-25xs for the magnum calibers.

turnburglar
03-28-15, 23:25
7mm rem mag has similar ballistics to 300, but with less kick. Something to consider if you want to actually shoot the gun a lot.

Watrdawg
03-30-15, 14:27
I have a Rem 700 that has been completely rebarreled and worked over by Hill Country Rifles. It is a hunting rifle but I could easily use it as a precision rig. I had HCR install a muzzle brake on it and that is the only way I will shoot it. I hate recoil and with the muzzle brake recoil is about equal to my 7mm08. I've seriously considered turning this into a precision rig and it wouldn't take much. As is I can keep about any standard hunting ammo at .5" 5 shot groups +/-. HCR did an amazing job on this rifle. Like I said though without the muzzle brake I'm not fond of shooting it.