PDA

View Full Version : Optic set up for my 14.5" LMT

JAYTEAM
07-09-08, 17:56
Here are the set ups I'm considering. Which ones would you recommend for a SHTF/Home Defense carbine, and why?

*Trijicon Accupoint TR21R
*Trijicon TA33R-8 ACOG
*Aimpoint Comp ML3-2MOA w/ 3X Magnifier

Jay

theJanitor
07-09-08, 17:57
aimpoint or irons. no need for a magnifier for HD.

C4IGrant
07-09-08, 17:59
Aimpoint.

C4

JAYTEAM
07-09-08, 18:53
aimpoint or irons. no need for a magnifier for HD.

Yes, but I can see where it would come in handy for a SHTF situation.

Jay

GLOCKMASTER
07-09-08, 19:05
The Aimpoint setup that you have listed in some LaRue mounts is a good choice. I have a few along with a magnifier and really like them. ;)

tinman44
07-09-08, 19:52
aimpoint m4 and maginifier, as the AA batteries will be available if food is.

LOKNLOD
07-09-08, 19:59
I think the Aimpoint makes the most sense based on what you've said. You can always get the optic now and the magnifier later if you still want it.

I've got an ML2 and a TR-21R. I don't have much time with the Accupoint yet, and while I'm impressed so far, the Aimpoint is more versatile. If I had to give one or the other up...well I'd have to keep the Aimpoint. Much better suited to a 14.5 that might be used indoors for home defense.

JAYTEAM
07-09-08, 20:29
I guess I should have stated that I used to run a 4MO Aimpoint and LMT BUIS on this LMT, but I put that Aimpoint on my AK. I'm trying to upgrade when I replace it. I don't know if that would change any of your thoughts, but I thought it was pertinent information to the discussion.

Jay

Soulrack223
07-09-08, 20:59
Aimpoint, though I'd prefer another T-1 or M4 over the M3.

Robb Jensen
07-09-08, 21:11
Aimpoint.

kjo
07-09-08, 21:45
i'm also going to add a vote for you considering the T-1 -- it just don't get no better.

kjo

Seagrave7
07-09-08, 23:12
I am going to vote for the *Aimpoint Comp ML3-2MOA w/ 3X Magnifier.

MX5
07-10-08, 14:31
Aimpoint with no magnifier. Spend your hard-earned money on ammo and practice with it. You should be able to make consistent hits out to 200 - 250 yds. with a good RDS and no magnification. Just my $.02.

JAYTEAM
07-10-08, 21:24
Aimpoint with no magnifier. Spend your hard-earned money on ammo and practice with it. You should be able to make consistent hits out to 200 - 250 yds. with a good RDS and no magnification. Just my $.02.

300 w/ irons

Jay

USMC03
07-10-08, 22:12
Here are the set ups I'm considering. Which ones would you recommend for a SHTF/Home Defense carbine, and why?

*Trijicon Accupoint TR21R
*Trijicon TA33R-8 ACOG
*Aimpoint Comp ML3-2MOA w/ 3X Magnifier

Jay

Home defense / Sh*t hit the fan, will most likely involve close engagements and the use of a white light.

Having used both an TA31 ACOG and a TA21R Accupoint for SWAT missions, I can tell you that both are a no-go in a CQB enviornment for several reasons.

The biggest problem you will face with an optic that is powered by fiber optic / tritium (Accupoint and ACOGS are powered by fiber optic and tritium) in a CQB home defense enviornment is that the use of white light will "wash out" the reticle (ie. white light washes out the tritium / fiber optic and the reticle turns black).

A black reticle is extreemly slow in a CQB enviornment......and a dark colored clothing will hide a black recitcle. More info here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4209

A couple things to consider when dealing with a non-illuminated reticles or black reticles (I was talking about the black reticle in a Leupold CQ/T, but this would also apply to the TR21R or the ACOG if the reticle is washed out (turns black) due to the use of white light):

-Consider going up a stair well with your CQ/T a bad guy has on dark colored clothing. You and a couple other members all have your 9 volt surefire lights aimed in on him. He won't listen to commands. You can't find your reticle because the lights are bright enough to wash out the illuminated reticle and the black reticle is blending in with his clothing. This happened to an Officer I know who use to use the CQ/T.

-Often times, when it's bright outside bad guys, like cockroaches, they like to hide in dark areas (barricaded gunman inside a dark house, suspect hiding in a salvage lot under a pile of wrecked cars, under a sheets of plywood leaned up against a fence, in a dark secluded breezeway, etc). If you are under the bright sun light in the middle of the day and the suspect is in a dark area, you may not be able to see the reticle as the sun light will wash out the illumination and it's extreemly difficult / sometimes impossible to see / find a black reticle against a dark background.

For the use listed above, I would choose the Aimpoint (T1 or M4S in a LaRue mount if you are going to be purchasing a new Aimponit) if close quarters and / or the use of a white light were involved.

If I were going to run an Aimpoint 3x magnifier, I would run it in a LaRue flip mount, as you won't need it a majority of the time, and the LaRue flip mount will keep the Aimpoint 3x magnifier out of your viewing plane until it's needed: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11504

S/F,
Jeff

JAYTEAM
07-10-08, 22:42
Thanks for everyone's feedback. It looks like my best bet may be my original thought before I started over thinking things. I'll probably just go back to running another Aimpoint, just a 2 MOA one this time, in front of an LMT BUIS. Here is a picture of how it was before.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2799/dscf1296smallgj5.jpg