PDA

View Full Version : Swapping charge handle latch?

Jeffy
07-09-08, 18:00
I just received a PRI BigD latch and I need to take the old one out. Is the hole tapered? I've tried tapping it out and it has only moved 1 mm.

Azrael2004
07-09-08, 18:35
It's a straight hole with a 1/16" roll pin.
I have a block of wood I do mine on that has about a 1/2" hole in it so I can drive the pin and the punch through. Then you can put your finger over the latch and remove the punch. (No flying spring!)

markm
07-09-08, 18:53
Oh crap! When I first read this I thought you were trying to tap the charging handle assembly OUT of the upper receiver. :eek:

RD62
07-09-08, 18:59
Nope, no taper. I used a bench block. You can make one pretty easy. Mine can apart and went back together surprisingly easy! But I've only done one.

That reminds me I need to get another for my other AR....

Good luck! You can do it!

-RD62

Jeffy
07-09-08, 19:02
Oh crap! When I first read this I thought you were trying to tap the charging handle assembly OUT of the upper receiver. :eek:

No, I'm not that bad! I need to go get a 1/16" flat end punch though. :p

Jeffy
07-12-08, 19:42
Just to conclude this post. I bought a 1/16" punch and it knocked out the roll pin easily. So easily in fact it shot off someplace under my bench!

Getting the PRI on was a bit of a PITA but wasn't too bad. I think it was harder then those dedents everyone seems to lose.

Thanks again!

Iraqgunz
07-12-08, 19:51
Just an FYI. You shouldn't reuse roll pins, especially little ones like that, I have seen them work themselves loose at the worst times. Get a new one and do it right.

Just to conclude this post. I bought a 1/16" punch and it knocked out the roll pin easily. So easily in fact it shot off someplace under my bench!

Getting the PRI on was a bit of a PITA but wasn't too bad. I think it was harder then those dedents everyone seems to lose.

Thanks again!

Jeffy
07-12-08, 19:56
Just an FYI. You shouldn't reuse roll pins, especially little ones like that, I have seen them work themselves loose at the worst times. Get a new one and do it right.

The old one was trashed and did shoot off into the abyss of my garage, lost forever. :p The PRI came with a new roll pin and I did use it.

Thanks!