PDA

View Full Version : Yugoslavian M24/47 Mauser

Slater
03-21-15, 19:27
Picked this up at a gun show today. All matching and with a minty bore. These Yugos can still be found occasionally in great condition, and I'm kind of a sucker for old battle rifles.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/HPIM1608_zps77zlxoyc.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/5757_photos/media/HPIM1608_zps77zlxoyc.jpg.html)

BG1960
03-22-15, 11:23
really nice, congratulations on a great find.

ralph
03-22-15, 16:38
Picked this up at a gun show today. All matching and with a minty bore. These Yugos can still be found occasionally in great condition, and I'm kind of a sucker for old battle rifles.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/HPIM1608_zps77zlxoyc.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/5757_photos/media/HPIM1608_zps77zlxoyc.jpg.html)

The nice thing about those (If I remember correctly) is, that that's a full size 98 action...The more common M-48's are a "intermediate action" meaning that compared to a '98 the M-48's action is a 1/4" shorter.. So, few parts will interchange.. Even well after 100yrs since it's introduction, parts for a '98 Mauser are still easy to find.. Now go get some 8mm and take it to the range!

RazorBurn
03-23-15, 18:47
That's one of the nicest M24/47's I've seen! Very nice! I like old battle rifles too!

GunnutAF
03-23-15, 23:59
Yep great looking rifle! I have a K98 and two G98/40's . Great rifles! Love shooting them alot! Though 8x57mm milsurp is getting harder to find a at good price . Get some reloadable brass and load your own . I do a lot of cast bullet shooting with mine . Cheap and fun and just as effective . Just went milk jug hunting the other week at 200 plus yards with my cast 205gr NEI's ! So much fun watching them blow up with a cast bullet I made.;)

T2C
03-24-15, 08:35
Welcome to the club. Mausers are beautiful rifles and everyone should own one, two, three, ......

I own two M24/47 rifles, one with a pitted bore and another with a like new barrel. The one with the like new barrel looks like yours. I use the one with the pitted barrel to shoot corrosive ball ammunition and the one with the good bore to shoot reloads. I use them to compete locally at club offhand 50 meter matches and they are fun to shoot.

As gunnutAF pointed out, reasonably priced milsurp ball ammunition is getting hard to find. If you can't locate boxer primed brass for reloading, you can resize and trim 30-06 brass. If you want a cast bullet target load that recoils like a .22 Magnum, PM me. It's not a tack driving load, but you can break clay birds at 100 yards with it.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for your M24/47?

That is one sharp looking rifle.

brickboy240
03-24-15, 11:03
I have three 98 Mausers.

A Czech VZ-24, a German WWII K-98 and a Columbian long rifle in 30-96. All are good shooters.

(although the Swedish M96 Mausers I have will all easily out-group the 98s from the 100yd bench)

There is some really good 8mm ammo out there made by S&B and Privi Partisan in Serbia. Every now and then you will get lucky and find some of the early 70s Yugo surplus 8mm but it is not easy to find and not nearly as cheap as it used to be.

I really like Privi Partisan's 8x57 loads. They are very close to original specs.

Stay away from 8mm Mauser from the US big 3 makers - it is underloaded with smaller diameter bullets and awful.

I still have a few cases left of Turkish and Yugoslavian 8mm surplus. Wish I had bought more when it was cheap and everywhere. At one time it was cheaper than 7.62x39!

Slater
03-28-15, 15:45
Welcome to the club. Mausers are beautiful rifles and everyone should own one, two, three, ......

I own two M24/47 rifles, one with a pitted bore and another with a like new barrel. The one with the like new barrel looks like yours. I use the one with the pitted barrel to shoot corrosive ball ammunition and the one with the good bore to shoot reloads. I use them to compete locally at club offhand 50 meter matches and they are fun to shoot.

As gunnutAF pointed out, reasonably priced milsurp ball ammunition is getting hard to find. If you can't locate boxer primed brass for reloading, you can resize and trim 30-06 brass. If you want a cast bullet target load that recoils like a .22 Magnum, PM me. It's not a tack driving load, but you can break clay birds at 100 yards with it.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for your M24/47?

That is one sharp looking rifle.

This was $275 OTD.

T2C
03-28-15, 19:25
At $275 you did not get hurt at all. I paid $300 for one with a like new barrel and accessories. I bought it from a friend's estate, so the widow could pay bills.

A 24/47 with a rough bore brings $200-$230 in my area and I think it is worth the extra money to get a shooter with a nice barrel.

Yugo ball has been the most accurate military round I have fired. Naturally reloads do a bit better.

I am glad you found the rifle and not me. Buying Mausers is getting to be a habit.

GunnutAF
03-28-15, 21:44
T2C

Nah I usually convert .270 brass to 8x57! As I have no use for such a cartridge!:rolleyes: Although it takes two steps first to '06 then trim then, run through the 8x57mm die.

brickboy240
04-02-15, 13:44
Yes...Mausers are like 1911s.

Before you know it - you have a safe full of the bastards! LOL

I have 2 Czech Mausers, a K98k, 3 Swedish Mausers, a 30-06 Colombian long rifle and a 22-250 sporter built on a 1935 German 98 Mauser action. Do the two 03 Springfields count - I got two of those as well? They are sort of Mauser knock offs.

LOL....it is an addiction...be careful.

Watrdawg
12-28-15, 16:02
I know this is a fairly old thread but my son came into a few dollars for Christmas and he really wants a Mauser. We know nothing about them really. We've looked on Gunbroker and there are a ton of them. Looks like it is easier to find a good condition 24/47's compared to the K98's. We are reading up on them but I figured with the wealth of knowledge here I'd ask for everyone's advice. What should we be looking for when we see a particular gun online. What should we stay away from? Does anyone have any good sources of weapons other than Gunbroker? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SurplusShooter
12-28-15, 16:07
^ Also consider the M48's. Some really good condition for cheap, but I've been out of the market for a year or two.

Slater
12-28-15, 16:31
I would check that at least the receiver and bolt have matching serial numbers. Better chance of decent headspace that way.

SurplusShooter
12-28-15, 18:19
Yeah, The condition and quantity available of these rifles (Yugo Mausers) is such that there is _no excuse_ for anyone trying to sell you one with a non-matching bolt. It should just be expected: Bolt # matches receiver #.

T2C
12-28-15, 21:58
Yeah, The condition and quantity available of these rifles (Yugo Mausers) is such that there is _no excuse_ for anyone trying to sell you one with a non-matching bolt. It should just be expected: Bolt # matches receiver #.

I agree. If the numbers on the bolt and receiver don't match, walk away and buy another rifle.

RazorBurn
12-29-15, 13:56
Check out Aimsurplus.com, Southernohiogun.com and Classicfirearms.com, the first two I know have ample supplies of different grade M48 Yugo Mausers as I'm looking for one myself. I can't remember the last time I've seen a reputable seller with a 24/47 in stock though. Good luck!

ralph
12-29-15, 17:12
Watrdawg:

Also check out Empire arms www.empirearms.com He usually has some interesting stuff, and has several Mausers for sale, right now. He has a M48 that's a bit unusual, in that it has a Teak stock.. The story behind these was, as I understand it, at one point after WWII, wood suitable for stocks was in short supply in Yugoslavia. The teak logs came from the docks, shipyards. Freighters would use the teak logs as ballast, and when they got where they were going would often off load them, if they were no longer needed, and leave them for the next boat to use. They liked them because they didn't attract termites, and the stood up well to salt water, and didn't get waterlogged and rot, and they were dense (heavy). Well, the Yugo's need wood, and the teak logs were there for the taking, so some of the M48's ended up with Teak stock sets...

Slater
12-29-15, 19:00
The "teak stock" story has been a subject of contention for many years. I suppose it's possible, but I take it with a grain of salt. The vast majority of M48-series stocks are beech, elm, and (rarely) oak.

Slater
12-29-15, 19:58
From "Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles" by Branko Bogdanovic (researcher/writer for the Zastava Arms factory):

"Postwar rifle developments led to the use of different woods. The Model 1948, Model 1948A, and Model 1948B rifles were fitted primarily with beech stocks, although some were also fitted with stocks made of elm. But the entire first series of the M1948 rifle had walnut stocks."

There is a rumor that a certain African country ordered a quantity of M59/66 carbines (Yugo SKS variant) and specified that they be stocked in teak. They then provided the teakwood for this contract.

Yugoslavia also exported M48 kits containing only the metal parts of the rifle. The customer would then presumably assemble the rifles with whatever stocks they desired (or had available), assuming these weren't used for repair parts kits, etc. So I guess it's conceivable that a third party could be the source of some teak-stocked M48's. Don't know how likely that is.

ralph
12-30-15, 09:08
The "teak stock" story has been a subject of contention for many years. I suppose it's possible, but I take it with a grain of salt. The vast majority of M48-series stocks are beech, elm, and (rarely) oak.

Oak? I had one, once, (ended up selling it because it shot about 3' to the left) and I swear the stock looked like oak...Hmmm, now I wonder... But I guess it doesn't matter that much..In order to fix that rifle it would've required disassembly, pulling the barrel from the receiver, taking the receiver and putting it in a lathe, and refacing the face of the receiver, and then shaving about .008-.010 off the rear of the barrel, reassembling the receiver/barrel and resetting the headspace... The reason for all this is because the face of the receiver was probably slightly out of square. When the barrel was screwed into the receiver, the shoulder of the barrel hit the high side of the receiver face first, and literally pushed the barrel to one side. From what I've read, there's supposed to be about a .005 gap between the receiver face and the barrel's shoulder, but I've never actually seen that on M48's, usually the barrel's shoulder is butted up against the receiver's face, and that's not a problem as long as both surfaces are square. When they're not, you can get some serious accuracy problems. Compared to German or Czech Mausers, the Yugo's are kinda crude...