PDA

View Full Version : Question for FL Cops

BAC
07-09-08, 19:57
... and those who know the laws that govern them.

So far as I (thought I) knew, my great state of Florida has deemed college campuses to be gun free zones. In fact, it's also been made clear to me that police aren't supposed to be armed on campuses. Recently, though, there's been a bigger push to up-arm cops on campuses, especially in the form of special response teams, or at least training for them, for when the worst happens on a college campus.

Florida law is pretty plainly written and spelled out nicely online, but for the life of me I can't find where cops are exempt from the laws barring firearms from schools. My concern is that as cops arming up becomes more public (as it's doing), we're going to see a backlash of 'antis' expressing their opinions, and I definitely want to be sure the law is on our side.

-B

tinman44
07-09-08, 20:44
nevermind

Drummer
07-10-08, 16:44
I'm not sure that I understand the question correctly.

A sworn law enforcement officer can carry a firearm on a college campus. A sworn officer can carry a firearm pretty much anywhere unless dictated otherwise by agency policy, with some exceptions, such as jails or some Federal property.

Detective_D
07-10-08, 16:47
As far as I know you are right drummer. I can carry mine anywhere I want to including college campuses.

ZGXtreme
07-10-08, 17:32
In Oklahoma it works the same as mentioned by Det_D, my commission allows for carry anywhere within the state. You make look at statutes which pertain to the commissioning of officers within the state to find wording which allows officers to carry anywhere. While in Oklahoma, is is spelled out as an exception in the statue which prohibits carry as specfic places, it may just be listed somewhere else in Florida's statutes.

Palmguy
07-10-08, 17:49
Not a cop or a lawyer, just a lowly private Floridian, but wouldn't this cover LEOs for college campuses?

FS 790.25 (3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(d) Sheriffs, marshals, prison or jail wardens, police officers, Florida highway patrol officers, game wardens, revenue officers, forest officials, special officers appointed under the provisions of chapter 354, and other peace and law enforcement officers and their deputies and assistants and full-time paid peace officers of other states and of the Federal Government who are carrying out official duties while in this state;

BAC
07-11-08, 00:48
Not a cop or a lawyer, just a lowly private Floridian, but wouldn't this cover LEOs for college campuses?

FS 790.25 (3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(d) Sheriffs, marshals, prison or jail wardens, police officers, Florida highway patrol officers, game wardens, revenue officers, forest officials, special officers appointed under the provisions of chapter 354, and other peace and law enforcement officers and their deputies and assistants and full-time paid peace officers of other states and of the Federal Government who are carrying out official duties while in this state;

Wow, missed that completely. That's what I was looking for, and that's exactly what it does. Thanks.

-B