PDA

View Full Version : Using Earmuffs while shooting your AR looking down scope? How do you make this work?

falconman515
03-21-15, 22:12
I am using a very thin pair of Peltor Tactical 100 earmuffs and no matter what I do I cannot get a good cheek weld and still be able to see down the center of the scope at the same time.

I have tried just using a pair of SureFire Sonic Defender EP5 earplugs and it doesn't feel like it's enough for me so I like using earmuffs.

BUT I cannot use a scope hardly at all while using muffs shooting from a range bench ... If I do get a good sight I have to pull down my shooting glasses cause I am looking at the top of the frame once I find a good spot with muffs on.

If I take the muffs off I can see down the scope perfectly with my shooting glasses on no problem.

Anyone else have this problem?

I thought about getting the higher AD Recon mount which is 0.5" higher .... But I wanted to see what that would be like so I molded a plastic piece that was about 0.45" thick and placed that under my mount to see where that would put my scope and the dang thing was just to high then and my cheek weld was almost gone ... so that kinda blew that thought out of the water for me.

How do you guys shoot from a range bench using a scope on a standard 1.5" mount with your muffs on and still be able to see down the pipe of the scope?

Thanks! :)

hotrodder636
03-21-15, 22:20
I wear doubles when I shoot rifles. Doubles as in foamies with electronic muff over the top. I can get a good cheek weld with a bit of a loss of seal on my right ear. The left ear remains completely sealed and there is still a good portion of the right ear covered by the muff with the foamie underneath. I hope that made sense.

F-Trooper05
03-21-15, 22:23
You call your parents and sarcastically thank them for giving you a freakishly shaped head, then pony up $200 and pay for a tax stamp. Or do what he^ said and stuff.

Wake27
03-21-15, 22:34
I've only seen it as an issue when the muffs are HUGE, or more often, when the shooter is laying his head over top of the stock instead of keeping his face vertical.

sidewaysil80
03-21-15, 23:18
Have you guys tried the Howard Leight "Impact Sport" electronic muffs? I tried Peltors at first but found them too cumbersome. The shape of the Howard Leight muffs are very conducive to establishing cheek weld when shooting a rifle. Do not let the low price point scare you away either; they are made very well. They function as well as my Peltors did and are every bit as robust.

Uprange41
03-21-15, 23:24
Using plugs and muffs will go a long way in keeping your ears safe if the muff happens to come up just a bit.

Have you guys tried the Howard Leight "Impact Sport" electronic muffs? I tried Peltors at first but found them too cumbersome. The shape of the Howard Leight muffs are very conducive to establishing cheek weld when shooting a rifle. Do not let the low price point scare you away either; they are made very well. They function as well as my Peltors did and are every bit as robust.
I've been using the same two pairs of Howard Leight's at least once a week for about three years now... Never had a problem with them in the rain, snow, unrelenting heat, etc. I trust them as much as any other piece of gear upon which I stake my safety.

MegademiC
03-21-15, 23:32
I've only seen it as an issue when the muffs are HUGE, or more often, when the shooter is laying his head over top of the stock instead of keeping his face vertical.

This was my thought reading the OP. Can you post a pic of you aiming? I have the same earpro and I don't even notice im wearing it. I have a 1-4 in a larue 104 mount so it should be an identical setup for all intensive purposes. ;)

Edit: just checked - I have .75" of clearance between bottom of muffs and stock - std m4 stock. Maybe your eye/ear relationship is unique?

SpeedRacer
03-22-15, 00:37
As others have said, I solved the same issue by switching to the Howard Leights. Great electronic ear pro for the price.

T2C
03-22-15, 00:45
Doubling up is a great idea to protect your hearing. Over the years I purchased several pair of earmuffs, while searching for the perfect pair to shoot M1 Garands, 1903 Springfields, etc. Two pair I found work well when shooting rifles are the Howard Leight Lof and a pair of Caldwell electronic muffs I purchased from Menards Home Improvement Store.

falconman515
03-22-15, 00:47

I have tried many ways of laying my cheek on the stock ... trying to get more vertical is not easy to do.

As others have said, I solved the same issue by switching to the Howard Leights. Great electronic ear pro for the price.

I had the Howard Leight Impact Sports and they are MUCH worse then the Peltor Tactical 100's I have now ... They have a larger over cub and they are longer as well so they hit the stock much sooner then the Peltors I have now.

So as far as earmuffs go I have the best thinnest and minimalist cups size and diameter there is for this issue. I have tried many and these are the best ... But still not good enough.

quackhead
03-22-15, 02:56
I would try thinner profile electric muffs as already suggested. I run Sordins, and don't have any issues

kwg020
03-22-15, 10:41
I didn't see it mentioned but maybe you need to raise the scope/sight. I prefer to be a little more "heads up" than to struggle with getting my head down low enough. But, that's just me.
kwg

hotrodder636
03-22-15, 10:53
OP,
Can you post a pic of your setup so we can see what you are working with? Sounds like it may be technique or setup issue.

I use the Howard Leights with foamies myself.

Inkslinger
03-22-15, 11:02
I have tried many ways of laying my cheek on the stock ... trying to get more vertical is not easy to do.

I had the Howard Leight Impact Sports and they are MUCH worse then the Peltor Tactical 100's I have now ... They have a larger over cub and they are longer as well so they hit the stock much sooner then the Peltors I have now.

So as far as earmuffs go I have the best thinnest and minimalist cups size and diameter there is for this issue. I have tried many and these are the best ... But still not good enough.

Try placing the stock over your pec more. If you have it out in your shoulder pocket it can cause you to have to tilt your head more.

ScatmanCrothers
03-22-15, 11:25
Try placing the stock over your pec more. If you have it out in you shoulder pocket it can cause you to have to tilt your head more.

I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like you need to bring the rifle in closer towards the center of your chest to where your cheekbone comes down directly on top of the stock when shouldering. Also turn your head slightly to the point that your nose is or almost is pointing at your charging handle. I can shoulder a rifle wearing the thick Howard Leight L1's, Impact Sports, and Peltor 100's with no issues this way.

If you're already doing that and your optic is already in a somewhat high mount then I'm going to guess you've got some really low sitting ears and this is just how it's going to be for you.

atomic41
03-22-15, 13:01
I wear doubles when I shoot rifles. Doubles as in foamies with electronic muff over the top. I can get a good cheek weld with a bit of a loss of seal on my right ear. The left ear remains completely sealed and there is still a good portion of the right ear covered by the muff with the foamie underneath. I hope that made sense.

Same here, haven't found earmuffs that fit right when trying to get a cheekweld on any rifle. I consider them more of a pistol use earpro. So when shooting rifle, I use plugs underneath electronic muffs.

falconman515
03-22-15, 13:53
OP,
Can you post a pic of your setup so we can see what you are working with? Sounds like it may be technique or setup issue.

BCM 16" ELW Barrel with 13" KMR, Primary Arms 4-14X FFP mil/mil scope mounted in a American Defense Recon with STR stock, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/aUVFmoC.png

MegademiC
03-22-15, 17:55
BCM 16" ELW Barrel with 13" KMR, Primary Arms 4-14X FFP mil/mil scope mounted in a American Defense Recon with STR stock, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/aUVFmoC.png

Can you post a pic of yourself aiming it?

Edit: Peltor tac100 and m4 stock.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/vinnyraf870/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03-22%2019.14.48_zpsnztmoeoo.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/vinnyraf870/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03-22%2019.14.48_zpsnztmoeoo.jpg.html)

mpom
03-22-15, 20:04
Have you tried a narrower stock? No need to buy, just borrow, to see if that would solve your problem.

falconman515
03-22-15, 21:33
Thanks for so many great replies guys

Keep in mind as well I haveno issue aiming standing up like Megademics picture shows above ...

My issue is sitting and shooting from the bench at the range (or table etc.)

I used to have the CTR stock on before the STR so it still is the same as theearmuff hits really the top most part of the stock regardless of stock width.

I think I may need to try and readjust somehow

It seems many guys wear plugs for the exact reason I'm talking about so it's nice to know its not just me ... But others have no issue, so hopefully there is a way around this.

T2C
03-22-15, 23:16
If you are having issues shooting off the bench, raise the sandbags or rest you are using so that you can sit up straighter. Usually that takes care of issues with pushing a thin set of headphones up when acquiring a stockweld.

Raising the rest for your rifle may require something higher to rest your elbows on.

GH41
03-23-15, 05:28
If you are having issues shooting off the bench, raise the sandbags or rest you are using so that you can sit up straighter. Usually that takes care of issues with pushing a thin set of headphones up when acquiring a stockweld.

Raising the rest for your rifle may require something higher to rest your elbows on.

^^^^ or lower the seat and bring the rifle closer to the edge of the bench nearest you. Also try shooting from behind the bench instead of beside it. Run the rear bag (or ball up your fist) under the pistol grip for support.

platoonDaddy
03-23-15, 06:05
I reversed the right earmuff, therefore the fat part isn't in the lower position.