PDA

View Full Version : Which barrel do you guys prefer nitride or chrome lined?

DNS
03-22-15, 13:03
Both are the same price, can't decide.

Leuthas
03-22-15, 13:48
It greatly depends on application. 99.99% of people will never notice the difference between Nitride CMV, CL CMV, Stainless or Nitride Stainless.

Here's some good discussion on the topic: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?128324-Barrels-Nitrided-Stainless-vs-Chrome-Lined-4150CMV

At the end of the day, it really comes down to application. Longevity? Accuracy? Price? Corrosion/abuse?

Blak1508
03-22-15, 14:33
That's like asking what kind of underware we all prefer ? What's your intention? What do you shoot ? How often ? Too many variables to discuss until you get specific. Your general question is covered here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?756-Barrels-101

But for everyday, go to use I choose CL

snakyjake
03-22-15, 15:56
Longevity? Accuracy? Price? Corrosion/abuse?

I'd like to know the comparison in intermediate and CQB distances.

Battle gun = It will be abused. Will be fed premium (until I run out) and milspec ammo (my backup supply). Needs to be combat accurate. Needs to last until a replacement can be installed.

Competition = accuracy, and life doesn't depend on the other variables.

I haven't seen CHF + nitride barrels, only button + nitride. Not sure why. My guess is the CHF need the chrome lapping to make the barrel smoother and accurate, while button doesn't need the lapping layers. But the button rifles aren't as heat stressed, and may not be durable when firing a lot in combat.

For combat I think I'd choose CHF + thick chrome lining.

GH41
03-22-15, 15:57
Both are the same price, can't decide.

Two post today asking barrel questions today. It's looking like you are shopping based on price alone. What the barrel is supposedly treated/lined with means nothing if it is a shitty Chi-com barrel.

DNS
03-22-15, 17:13
Ordered the barrel suggested in my other post. I knew you guys would point me in the right direction, thanks

samuse
03-22-15, 22:00
I'd like to know the comparison in intermediate and CQB distances.

Battle gun = It will be abused. Will be fed premium (until I run out) and milspec ammo (my backup supply). Needs to be combat accurate. Needs to last until a replacement can be installed.

Competition = accuracy, and life doesn't depend on the other variables.

I haven't seen CHF + nitride barrels, only button + nitride. Not sure why. My guess is the CHF need the chrome lapping to make the barrel smoother and accurate, while button doesn't need the lapping layers. But the button rifles aren't as heat stressed, and may not be durable when firing a lot in combat.

For combat I think I'd choose CHF + thick chrome lining.

You realize that every M4 barrel in the US military are button rifled?

snakyjake
03-23-15, 00:01
You realize that every M4 barrel in the US military are button rifled?

Does something the U.S. military specs make it better than anything else available?

SpecWired
03-23-15, 00:26
I'm willing to bet if I handed you two guns with different barrels you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference from a practical standpoint, and most people are the limiting factor in accuracy, not the barrel.

Instead worry about getting a good barrel from a reputable manufacturer that uses quality materials and has high quality control standards.

WS6
03-23-15, 01:05
Chrome lined, hammer forged. FN.

Rascally
03-23-15, 08:16
Cold Hammer Forged + Nitride:

https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/16-inch-chf-barrels/16-6-8mm-mid-length-1-10-s2w-profile.html

https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/18-inch-chf-barrels/18-5-56mm-s2w-mid-length-chf-barrel-stripped.html

samuse
03-23-15, 21:49
Does something the U.S. military specs make it better than anything else available?

No but it oughta put your mind at ease about it being durable enough for combat.

9DivDoc
03-23-15, 22:10
To tell you the truth I am more concerned with who puts my stuff together.......I really am enamored with BCM's barrels....especially the ELW barrel.
If they ever get around to making some BFH ELW I will buy two right off the bat.
If they decided to make the ELW QPQ instead of Cr lined then I'd buy those.