PDA

View Full Version : Rare Failure Or Not?, it stopped the gun from running

user
03-22-15, 14:39
Shooting yesterday, and had a few primers (un Crimped) come out and float around in lower. Cleaned one primer from under trigger group. Took rifle to school today and bang. Single shot only....

Found primer material clogged inside gas key. About .6" inside. Can get it out. Is this a known matter or is this a freak deal. Seems like the stars had to align just right to get that aligned and timed perfect.

Thanks

Iraqgunz
03-22-15, 14:45
It happened in Iraq several times with our BMs and 5.56 ammo. I have heard of about this happening about a dozen times since. When it happens its either crappy ammo or tight chamber.

ForTehNguyen
03-22-15, 14:58
XM193 had issues with blown primers, not sure what ammo you were using

user
03-22-15, 15:25
Yeah XM193. Stopped the whole dog gone show. Another reason to have a spare bcg

markm
03-23-15, 08:54
We had this type of crap happening on one of Pappabear's LMTs a year to two back. XM193... I think Iraqgunz gauged the weapon and cleared it of being the source of the popped primers.

seb5
03-23-15, 10:36
I had the same thing happen at a Triton Concepts class with the same ammo 2 years ago. In this case a spare upper saved the day. FWIW the upper was a BCM 14.5 LW middie. I've had primers popped before but that was the only time it locked it up.

Renegade04
03-23-15, 11:55
The last and only time I have had to deal with blown primers was several years ago with some PRVI PARTISAN 5.56 55gr. ammo. I stopped shooting it and have not had a problem since.

jbjh
03-23-15, 12:02
Just remember to break the entire gun down. When this had happened to me, every time I thought I had found all the offending material, I found a little bit more. Finally took it down all the way (including receiver extension and buffer), and blew it out with compressed air. it was a good chance to clean it up anyway

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

turnburglar
03-23-15, 12:11
I was getting regular popped primers with independence 55gr. Stopped using that and haven't had a problem since.

rero360
03-23-15, 12:28
I've only had it happen to me once personally, and that was shooting MK 262 out of my M4, this was after shooting 30 or so magazines of M855 and M855A1 without cleaning or adding any additional lube after the initial application of slip 2000. I once had a primer almost get blown out of the case, Camp Robinson, AR, early morning in Feb at SDM school, ammo was M855, rifle, M16-A4, was clean ish.

SHIVAN
03-23-15, 13:06
White box Mk262 and an insanely hot July day did me in a few years ago. Was tough to find the primer that had become stuck in the trigger parts.

Iraqgunz
03-23-15, 14:22
Kind of known thing with that ammo. It's insanely hot.

I was getting regular popped primers with independence 55gr. Stopped using that and haven't had a problem since.

ClearedHot
03-23-15, 14:38
Same thing happened when shooting Radway Green SS109 in a Colt 6920. Primer blew out, got stuck in the trigger group and deadlined the gun.

fifthward
03-23-15, 14:56
Same thing happened when shooting Radway Green SS109 in a Colt 6920. Primer blew out, got stuck in the trigger group and deadlined the gun.

Definitely in-experienced on this subject. I have a case of Independence M193 - so I need to ramp up - just in case!

So what did you eventually have to do to get it out? Is it simply a matter of field stripping, and shaking the lower to then hope it rattles out?? Or is it more involved??

ClearedHot
03-23-15, 15:01
Definitely in-experienced on this subject. I have a case of Independence M193 - so I need to ramp up - just in case!

So what did you eventually have to do to get it out? Is it simply a matter of field stripping, and shaking the lower to then hope it rattles out?? Or is it more involved??

It was wedged in there good. Ended up having to disassemble the trigger parts in order to remove the primer.

If something like this happened in an actual situation, you would be stuck with a dead man's rifle.

MistWolf
03-23-15, 15:15
A question for those who've experienced popped primers- what chamber did your rifle have? 5.56? 223 Wylde? SAM-R?

tarkeg
03-23-15, 16:09
A question for those who've experienced popped primers- what chamber did your rifle have? 5.56? 223 Wylde? SAM-R?

The time it happened to me, it was a Rock River upper. The barrel was marked "5.56" and would blow primers with any flavor 5.56 I'd put in it. The primers liked to go under the trigger, making it impossible to fire until you stripped the lower. IMO it had a tight .223 chamber.

Then I learned about Ned's awesome reamer, and it ran fine after I used it.

ETA: This was around 10 years ago. Rifle was sold shortly after I got it running reliably.

Iraqgunz
03-23-15, 19:48
In our case it was the substandard Bushmaster chambers. Once I reamed them with Ned's chamber reamer the issues dropped off significantly.

Clint
03-23-15, 21:27
I'll add that severe over gassing will increase the frequency of blown primers significantly.

I believe it's one of those issues with 3 contributing factors - hot ammo, tight chamber and over gassing.

It happened in Iraq several times with our BMs and 5.56 ammo. I have heard of about this happening about a dozen times since. When it happens its either crappy ammo or tight chamber.

Kind of known thing with that ammo. It's insanely hot.

I had a 16" 223 Wylde middy barrel with an .093" gas port.

Can't remember, but probably had an H2 buffer in it at the time.

It would not run steel case ammo at all, kept ripping the rims off and not extracting.

Brass 223 like PRVI ran ok

XM193 would blow primers left and right.

Got some jammed up under the trigger too.

Sounds like a real POS barrel, eh?

After dropping the gas port down to .073/.076", that same barrel will run everything.

IMI M193, CBC 62 gr ball, Prvi 75,wolf 55, MFS 55, you name it.

Blown primers are not Normal and not OK.

One or more of those 3 factors may be present and should be corrected before continuing.

Shooting yesterday, and had a few primers (un Crimped) come out and float around in lower. Cleaned one primer from under trigger group. Took rifle to school today and bang. Single shot only....

Found primer material clogged inside gas key. About .6" inside. Can get it out. Is this a known matter or is this a freak deal. Seems like the stars had to align just right to get that aligned and timed perfect.

Thanks

user
03-24-15, 08:51
Daniel Defense Mid upper. The amazing thing was that this debris actually got in such a small hole in the key. Even after removing the key, and pounding I couldn't get that primer (cup)? out.

MistWolf
03-24-15, 12:48
I'll add that severe over gassing will increase the frequency of blown primers significantly.

I believe it's one of those issues with 3 contributing factors - hot ammo, tight chamber and over gassing.

I had a 16" 223 Wylde middy barrel with an .093" gas port.

Can't remember, but probably had an H2 buffer in it at the time.

It would not run steel case ammo at all, kept ripping the rims off and not extracting.

Brass 223 like PRVI ran ok

XM193 would blow primers left and right.

Got some jammed up under the trigger too.

Sounds like a real POS barrel, eh?

After dropping the gas port down to .073/.076", that same barrel will run everything.

IMI M193, CBC 62 gr ball, Prvi 75,wolf 55, MFS 55, you name it.

Blown primers are not Normal and not OK.

One or more of those 3 factors may be present and should be corrected before continuing.

I'm well aware that blown primers are not normal and not safe. What I am asking is what chambers shooters are having problems with to see if there is data to support a trend.

How does over-gassing contribute to blown primers?

Clint
03-24-15, 20:31
I know you know Mist; The strong advice was for the OP. :cool:

The barrel in my story was a Wylde. It does seem to show slightly more pressure signs than true 5.56 chambers, but nothing to worry about.

Not exactly sure, but I suspect the early extraction leaves the primer partially unsupported while still under some amount of pressure.

I'm well aware that blown primers are not normal and not safe. What I am asking is what chambers shooters are having problems with to see if there is data to support a trend.

How does over-gassing contribute to blown primers?

MistWolf
03-25-15, 06:44
I know you know Mist; The strong advice was for the OP. :cool:

The barrel in my story was a Wylde. It does seem to show slightly more pressure signs than true 5.56 chambers, but nothing to worry about.

Not exactly sure, but I suspect the early extraction leaves the primer partially unsupported while still under some amount of pressure.

Ok, I gotcha :)

Ned Christiansen
03-25-15, 06:56
I have recovered primerless empties at the "scene" of a popped primer incident. Tolerance on the primer pocket diameter is .1738 / .1745. I have measured some of these as large as .180, so it's no wonder the primers fall out upon extraction!