PDA

View Full Version : Question about Giessele triggers

Slatewiper
03-23-15, 15:02
Which one of their triggers would be best for a combat style AR? They have so many to choose from. I'm not looking for a competition trigger, just something that would would work well in a self-defense rifle. Thanks

Sasahara
03-23-15, 15:05
Generally people will recommend the SSA or SD-C if you prefer a flat blade trigger. Both are 2-stage triggers.

Edit - I went with the SD-C. Liking it a lot so far but unsure if I would have liked the traditional curved trigger more.

FourT6and2
03-23-15, 15:05
Which one of their triggers would be best for a combat style AR? They have so many to choose from. I'm not looking for a competition trigger, just something that would would work well in a self-defense rifle. Thanks

1. Email Geissele. They know their own triggers better than anybody else.

2. They have a "trigger selector guide" on their website that will help narrow it down.

3. SSA or SSA-E are probably the two best bets for a "combat" style AR. But there are others as well.

Ryno12
03-23-15, 15:10
http://geissele.com/application-guide/

http://youtu.be/ypb5HXdDJhc

GH41
03-23-15, 15:41
ALG ACT. Not marketed by Geissele but from the family. Best $65 you can spend for a work trigger. SD-C isn't that much better for the additional cost.

SomeOtherGuy
03-23-15, 15:49

I would seriously consider the ALG QMS for basic self-defense rifle use. Lube it with grease and spend the savings ($150 or so worth) on ammo or an optic.

If you have to have a two stage Geissele, the SSA and SDC are the only ones I'd consider for self defense use, anything else is IMHO too light for times of stress. I have used various Geissele triggers in competition* for the last five years and have only good things to say about their quality and reliability. I wouldn't hesitate to choose one for competition, especially more precision-oriented competition. But for practicing the basics (not precision) and having on hand for self defense, I don't think it's the best use of funds.

(I have used, at various times, the SSA, SSA-E, SDC, SD-E, SD3, S2S, G2S, and ALG ACT. Yeah, I've been a bit of a trigger whore.)

skp
03-23-15, 15:49
ALG ACT. Not marketed by Geissele but from the family. Best $65 you can spend for a work trigger. SD-C isn't that much better for the additional cost.

An ACT is not a two-stage like the SD-C is.

Watrdawg
03-23-15, 15:56
I have the SSA, 2 SD-C's and the ALG in my weapons. Personally I don't see much difference in the SSA and the ALG. The SSA is just a bit smoother but not enough so to warrant the extra costs. Purely subjective but I like the feel of the flat face of the SD-C trigger. Is it really worth the extra coin? All it is is a SSA with a flat trigger face. Because of the feel only I will say it is worth it.

Koshinn
03-23-15, 16:37
If you can find one, get the G2S trigger. Same exact feel as a SSA but for $60 less.

The SSA (and g2s) should be lighter, smoother, and be two stage, when compared to the alg.

mattieb
03-23-15, 16:47
I don't see how anyone can say the ALG ACT is as good as the SD-C they are night and day and not even comparable. And yes I have both.

BufordTJustice
03-23-15, 17:48
I don't see how anyone can say the ALG ACT is as good as the SD-C they are night and day and not even comparable. And yes I have both.
Nobody who is practicing snap shots on multiple targets at 50-75 yards while standing, under a timer, will regard them as the same.

OP, get a G2S or an SSA and sleep well.

Berserkr556
03-23-15, 18:04
OP The SSA is the way to go for a combat/home defense FCG. I own a dozen of them and won't use anything else. I have tried the G2S but like the SSA better. The ALG triggers are better than a stock mil-spec but don't compare to the SSA.

dentron
03-23-15, 18:17
I would have to agree that there really is no comparison between the SD-C and the ALG. The ALG is still just a mil spec trigger, just more consistent in what you get. You will always have a decent trigger and it doesn't break the bank. I have had/seen better triggers in standard parts kits, but that was like a 1 in 10 chance. The rest were all worse.
I believe a trigger is one of the best places to spend money on an AR.

And I really like the SD-C, its a good versatile trigger.

GH41
03-23-15, 18:24
An ACT is not a two-stage like the SD-C is.

Never said it was. The OP ask about a combat trigger. The ACT in my opinion is a much better combat trigger for the money.

Iraqgunz
03-23-15, 18:34
The ALG QMS is a very good trigger for the money and I have a few of them in my guns. I also have the SSA, SSA-E and the G2S. I think the QMS would be a good solid trigger and once you break it in it will be pretty smooth.

Dist. Expert 26
03-23-15, 19:55
I run an SD-C in my gun, and it's by far the best trigger I've ever used in an AR platform. It's definitely the appropriate weight for a combat rifle.

skp
03-23-15, 21:29
Never said it was. The OP ask about a combat trigger. The ACT in my opinion is a much better combat trigger for the money.

Fair enough.

TXBK
03-23-15, 21:43
I don't feel a big difference between the G2S, SSA, and SD-C, as far as smoothness goes. They are all incredibly good, and they are what I would recommend for a self-defense weapon.

The enhanced versions are all noticeably lighter than their counterparts. The SD-3G is scary light.

RWH24
03-23-15, 22:55
Like others, I too have the SSA and ACT. hey are not the same. Single vs 2 stage trigger.
Different feel. I like the ACT for what it does and I like the SSA for what it does.
Like the way a vehicle drives, each his own.
I will try a QMS sometime.

Unicorn
03-24-15, 01:06
I'll be the odd one and suggest the S3G with the heavier spring. I much prefer single stage triggers over two stage. Maybe for a DMR a two stage is better... but then most precision bolt action, and sniper rifles are single stage so... And for fast, close range shooting the S3G can't be beat. I know you can just slam through both stages of the SSA and most likely won't even notice it, but for me I just like single stage. One of the six Geisseles I have is an SSA just because I had to give it a try and see how well I liked it.

Koshinn
03-24-15, 04:02
I don't feel a big difference between the G2S, SSA, and SD-C, as far as smoothness and pull weight goes.

There shouldn't be a difference.

TXBK
03-24-15, 05:26
There shouldn't be a difference.

You're right. I should not have mentioned pull weight, because according to their descriptions they all have approximately the same total pull weight.

themonk
03-24-15, 05:39
The G2S is a very nice trigger for the money.

556BlackRifle
03-24-15, 11:45
I have the SSA-E and ALG ACT and can tell you that both are an improvement over milspec. For SD / Combat only, I'd probably opt for an SSA (non -E variant) or ACT. If you may also do a little competition and or bench shooting the SSA-E would be a better match, IMO.

HD1911
03-24-15, 15:11
My favorite Geissele for a Non-Precision Role is the Super Tricon.

arptsprt
03-24-15, 15:25
I currently have the following in my SD/HD setups:

SSA, Super Tricon, or ALG ACT. My favorite and most used is the Super Tricon.

I like them all and any would do you well depending on what you want to spend.

VIP3R 237
03-24-15, 15:33
Another vote for the Tricon here. I tried to like the SD series but the flat blade it just didn't do it for me like the Tricon does.

johnson
03-24-15, 17:11
For my uses I like the ALG ACT over Geissele's triggers and I've owned or used the SSA, SSA-E, SD-3G, SD-C, and SD-E. If money was no object then I might get another Geissele but there are so many other things I can think of spending the extra $150 on before needing a 2 stage trigger, like the used JBC soldering station I just bought recently. :)

ABNAK
03-24-15, 18:30
I have the SSA, 2 SD-C's and the ALG in my weapons. Personally I don't see much difference in the SSA and the ALG. The SSA is just a bit smoother but not enough so to warrant the extra costs. Purely subjective but I like the feel of the flat face of the SD-C trigger. Is it really worth the extra coin? All it is is a SSA with a flat trigger face. Because of the feel only I will say it is worth it.

Absolutely. I don't know what it is but I LOVE the flat trigger on my SD-C's.

a1madrid
03-24-15, 18:42
I have an SSA-E in my build. I'm happy with it but would not go any lighter for a combat trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboLag
03-24-15, 19:37
I'm glad I went with the SDE over the SDC.

jaxman7
03-24-15, 20:13
I recall Surf and I having a discussion on here if the ALG ACT would be smoother over time considering how hard the different coatings were on the trigger, disconnecter, and hammer. I can say that after years of owning the ACT with a lot of trigger time.....well it is a good trigger off the bat but becomes a fantastic trigger with use. There is no other mil spec trigger that can shake a stick at it. It's that good and yeah wear and tear does wonders for it. My other Geissele is the SD-C. Have had it for years and really liked it but felt the break was too light for a 'combat' trigger. Corycop generously sent me a Geissele gold hammer spring to try out and he hasn't gotten it back since then. ;) To me the gold spring firmed up the SD-C 's pull perfectly. But to be honest the ACT, for my purposes, is pretty much on par with the SD-C with gold spring. Yeah with alot of use the ACT is that good.

-Jax

Korgs130
03-24-15, 20:19
For what it's worth, I have the SSA in both my rifles. If money isn't t big concern, I think it's the perfect 2 stage HD/Combat trigger.

turnburglar
03-24-15, 20:49
To everyone suggesting the ACT trigger:

How much of your suggestion is based on single vs two stage trigger preference? I'm not sure if it's just me: but I seem to have much better trigger control with a two stage than a single.

HKGuns
03-24-15, 22:09
I own examples of the SSA - SSA-E and the ALG ACT. The ACT is a huge step beyond the average LPK MILSPEC trigger. The SSA-E is my favorite, but I like the ACT very much also.....to my finger, even though it is SS, it is roughly 80% of an SSA as far as break and reset are concerned. I don't notice it is a SS trigger when shooting as I usually ride the reset on a rifle.