PDA

View Full Version : AAR - MDFI Carbine I class, 6/28/08

macman37
07-09-08, 21:43
Here is a brief recap of the class I took on June 28 with Steve Fisher of MDFI at Watervliet MI. Some came from a post on TOS; I've added to the post here and there.

I went to the class a blank slate. I left with my entire outlook on shooting recalibrated... In a good, yet unsettling way.

Unsettling because even though I read a lot, I watch training videos, and I get to the range when I can... I still left the class with the ugly realization that I have only just started learning about what shooting a fighting rifle is all about. It isn't about sitting down at a bench, reeling off 50 rounds and calling it a day. It is about so much more... And that's the realization a great trainer like Steve can make you have. I am a pretty humble guy, yet I felt even more humbled as the day went on. I WILL be taking more training courses as I am able, and I highly recommend Steve as a trainer.

If you like reading equipment lists: My Bushmaster M4gery Arfcom SEBR worked flawlessly with Pmags. The single point sling is gone. It kept fouling my safety manipulation. I used a SKD Tactical chest rig, a BlackHawk hydration carrier (don't poke fun; I got a great deal on it) and a cheap Chinese pistol belt with a Kydex 1911 holster. I had one hiccup with the Para Ordnance P13; ejected case flipped around backward and prevented the slide from closing. I need to tune that up. Oh, and I got to shoot a mag through one of Steve's rifles with a Primary Weapons compensator on it... Let me tell you that is about the flattest-recoiling rifle I have ever shot! Great work Todd.

Changes: I've already incorporated all the carbine changes Steve suggested, a new BFG Vickers sling, and ditching the pressure switch on the SureFire light, in favor of moving it to the left side and using my thumb to press it on. I am also looking at a more reliable pistol.

If I could have re-taken the class immediately after this one ended, with these gear adjustments, I would have!

jim

bullitt5172
07-12-08, 22:17
Here is a brief recap of the class I took on June 28 with Steve Fisher of MDFI at Watervliet MI. Some came from a post on TOS; I've added to the post here and there.

I went to the class a blank slate. I left with my entire outlook on shooting recalibrated... In a good, yet unsettling way.

Unsettling because even though I read a lot, I watch training videos, and I get to the range when I can... I still left the class with the ugly realization that I have only just started learning about what shooting a fighting rifle is all about. It isn't about sitting down at a bench, reeling off 50 rounds and calling it a day. It is about so much more... And that's the realization a great trainer like Steve can make you have. I am a pretty humble guy, yet I felt even more humbled as the day went on. I WILL be taking more training courses as I am able, and I highly recommend Steve as a trainer.

If you like reading equipment lists: My Bushmaster M4gery Arfcom SEBR worked flawlessly with Pmags. The single point sling is gone. It kept fouling my safety manipulation. I used a SKD Tactical chest rig, a BlackHawk hydration carrier (don't poke fun; I got a great deal on it) and a cheap Chinese pistol belt with a Kydex 1911 holster. I had one hiccup with the Para Ordnance P13; ejected case flipped around backward and prevented the slide from closing. I need to tune that up. Oh, and I got to shoot a mag through one of Steve's rifles with a Primary Weapons compensator on it... Let me tell you that is about the flattest-recoiling rifle I have ever shot! Great work Todd.

Changes: I've already incorporated all the carbine changes Steve suggested, a new BFG Vickers sling, and ditching the pressure switch on the SureFire light, in favor of moving it to the left side and using my thumb to press it on. I am also looking at a more reliable pistol.

If I could have re-taken the class immediately after this one ended, with these gear adjustments, I would have!

jim

Granted I am not a Para Ord fan but why look for another pistol? Were you having more issues than the one hiccup you noted above? Don't let others tell you the 1911 isn't reliable...

I've taken many classed with Steve, he is an excellent instructer and really know his stuff.

Steve
07-14-08, 12:25
As stated nothing wrong with the gun or the sling just personal observations,

anything man made can hicup or fail its how you handle it that matters.

You shot well and ran your gear fine. my personal choice again is to run a clickie switch after having several tape switches fail on me never again.

macman37
07-17-08, 07:20
Granted I am not a Para Ord fan but why look for another pistol? Were you having more issues than the one hiccup you noted above? Don't let others tell you the 1911 isn't reliable...

I've taken many classed with Steve, he is an excellent instructer and really know his stuff.

Why look for another gun? I've wanted to add another to my battery for a while now. ;) Possibly an M&P but I need to put some rounds through one first to check how it recoils. If it's stiff like a steel framed pistol I'll probably wind up with one. If it's spongy like a Glock I won't. My first choice though would be a Sig.

I do need to simply fix the Para-Ord first. That's probably a simple tweak to the ejector. I have shot moderate round-count classes with another Para-Ord and it worked great, so I know they're capable of being solid guns. I just didn't like that mine choked in this way.

macman37
11-02-08, 10:18
Well, I was fortunate enough to be able to re-take the class with revised gear, and reinforce the stuff I learned the first time. I also know that I need to just slow down and not rattle rounds off, but get good accurate hits. See the handgun's front sight.

I'm happy to say that this time I left Steve's excellent class not thinking I needed to go buy more gear to correct a pile of issues. I was the only dorkwad wearing a full Eagle PC w/cummerbund though, what the heck? Nobody else wanted to look like a tacti-douche I guess. :p

New gear:

Rifle: ADCO 16" upper + RRA lower and internals I put together + Sully stock + Pmags. Sling was a BFG Vickers sling, which I purchased for 3 of my rifles after I discovered the single point sling I had from the first class sucked hard when actually used.

Handgun: Ed Brown Speshul Forces + EB 7 rd. mag + Wilson 47D and 10 round mags. Holster and mag carrier were Blade-Tech and worked OK though I am giving some thought to Raven Concealment ... Wonder if they need any logo or graphic design work done... I think I'll email them. ;)

Of note were my Bates boots - comfortable ALL DAY. I got them on super clearance from LAPolicegear.com and frankly I wish I'd bought 2 pairs. Great boots.

Only hiccup I had (beside the speed stuff- oh, and the wicked neck burns from the guy's rifle next to me!) was that I had some old lacquer-covered Wolf with me, and I tried mixing it in with the new polymer coated ammo. Well, my rifle got "glued" shut on it. Steve squared me away though. Heh, I never know how much force to apply to stuff like "mortaring" the carbine to clear it.

Great class, Steve you'll be seeing my ugly mug again. :)

jim