PDA

View Full Version : Trimming .454 Casull brass for use in Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt

LoboTBL
03-23-15, 22:24
I'm just wondering if I'll be creating a dangerous situation, pressure wise, by using .454 Casull brass trimmed to .45 Colt length for use in my Ruger Blackhawk.

.45 Colt cases just are not holding up when using 300g Hornady XTPs and that is with listed starting load of 18.7g of 4227.

GunnutAF
03-24-15, 01:31
What brass 45LC brass were you using? The only brass I ever had go bad was Remington. Your load is .3 gr under the starting load for the 300 SEI bullet used on Hodgdon site so you shouldn't be killing your brass. Are you using IMR or H4227? If you convert 454 Casull brass you should be fine . Just know they use SP or SR primers not LP primers. For my 454 loads I use SP Mag primers or SR Mag.

texasgunhand
03-24-15, 01:41
Stareline had some .45lc for sale at there website. Maybe try some new brass first,if your old brass wasnt new.

LoboTBL
03-24-15, 02:22
Already know all about RP brass. I just use that for my cast boolits.

I was using once fired Federal. Getting difficult ejection from the cylinder (its clean) but no signs of overpressure on primers. On third loading had a split case. I should have specified, I'm using IMR. I was cleaning up my bench and found some old once fired 454 (friends) and got to checking and comparing cartridge specs. I thought it might be worth a try. My only concern is the slightly reduced case diameter (.002 smaller) reducing the case volume enough to make a difference and increase pressure. Maybe the thinner rim makes up for this with it trimmed to 45 Colt length (1.275) though.

Thanks for the tip on the Starline. Last time I looked it was out of stock so I'll check again. I trimmed 20 .454 cases so I think I'm still going to give that a shot and see how it does. I'll start with some of the lighter published loads instead of the Ruger/TC only data.

On a separate subject; has anyone tried any of the 300MP? I'm wanting to try it in both my Desert Eagle (44) and my 300 Blk.

GunnutAF
03-24-15, 11:06
Also need to know is your BH a NMBH? If it is you should use teir 2 loads not ruger only as the frame is not as strong as the old model BH. And the cylinder walls are thinner. That would explain the hard ejection- sticky cases- that is a sign of overpressure. Loose pockets and splits as well.

mack7.62
03-25-15, 07:35
Not if you follow good reloading practices. I assume .454 brass is thicker with less capacity so you will need to reduce loads and work up. I would look for better 45 Colt brass first.