PDA

View Full Version : 9mm gel test: Underwood 115 gr Lehigh Extreme Penetrator (and S&B 115 gr FMJ)

AndrewWiggin
03-24-15, 11:07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3rSZAsDqgM

Underwood 115 gr Lehigh Extreme Penetrator solid copper projectile fired from Glock 22 with Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel into calibrated 10% gelatin.

BB: 585.3 fps, 3.3"

Impact velocity: 1,289 fps
Penetration: ~30" of gelatin & 2.5 feet
of water
Retained weight: 115.0 gr

No expansion.

For comparison, we took a look at some cheap 9mm ball. The cheapest I could find was S&B 115 gr FMJ. It was almost exactly 100 fps slower and penetrated quite a bit less. I expected lower velocity and less penetration but not to that degree. It was also surprising to see that plain, vanilla FMJ produced more tissue disruption than the vaunted Extreme Penetrator.

On my way out to test, I looked at my phone and saw that tnoutdoors9 had posted a video testing the very thing I was about to do. I was not thrilled, especially since he does such great work. It turns out that my test was a little different than his anyway. Take a look at his test too, if you have time. (https://youtu.be/DYLbmSp5itA)

Leonidas24
03-26-15, 02:57
I think they're best served pulled and used as a disposable phillips head screw driver. They obviously penetrate too much for every day carry purposes, maybe they could serve as a woods round for large predators but at the prices I've heard they're selling for ($30/20) I'd argue you're better off using a 147 gr hardcast or FMJ/TMJ; that is, if you're carrying 9mm for defense from lions and tigers and bears, oh my. These CNC'd wonder bullets are literally the finest brand of snake oil that's ever hit the firearms industry.

AndrewWiggin
03-26-15, 03:02
I think they'd be perfect for shark hunting.

JHC
04-08-15, 14:44
I think they're best served pulled and used as a disposable phillips head screw driver. They obviously penetrate too much for every day carry purposes, maybe they could serve as a woods round for large predators but at the prices I've heard they're selling for ($30/20) I'd argue you're better off using a 147 gr hardcast or FMJ/TMJ; that is, if you're carrying 9mm for defense from lions and tigers and bears, oh my. These CNC'd wonder bullets are literally the finest brand of snake oil that's ever hit the firearms industry.

Purely for specific penetration purposes; but at least they have that. G2 Ripper doesn't even have that much so they must be the 12 year aged snake oil.

Ron3
04-08-15, 17:01
Not much to do with this topic other than somebody needs to test Hornady's .357 magnum Critical Duty! (2 and 4 inch barrels..)

Maybe you could be the first? nudge-nudge..

Thank you for your testing I always look forward to it.