PDA

View Full Version : RIP Top Gear

WillBrink
03-27-15, 13:38
A great show. There's no Top Gear without Jeremy, who owned a portion of the show but sold it to the BBC. So, laughing all the way to the bank is he, but the show will not survive without him.

Jeremy Clarkson to be sacked by the BBC

Jeremy Clarkson is to be sacked as Top Gear presenter after a BBC investigation concluded he did attack a producer on the programme.

Lord Hall, the Director General of the BBC, is expected to announce his decision on Wednesday after considering the findings of an internal investigation.

Clarkson, 54, will be thanked for his work on the hugely popular motoring show, but will be told such behaviour cannot be tolerated at the Corporation.

It is understood a report into the so-called ‘fracas’ at a North Yorkshire hotel, concluded that presenter spent 20 minutes verbally abusing producer Oisin Tymon, before launching a 30 second physical assault on him.

Cont:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11493270/Jeremy-Clarkson-to-be-sacked-by-the-BBC.html

six8
03-27-15, 13:48
I'd rather watch Tiff Needell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coal Dragger
03-27-15, 13:49
Clarkson's temper tantrums are well known. Looks like it finally caught up with him. BBC execs have hated him and his non PC positions and attitude for a long time, and we're probably over joyed to be given a reason to sack him.

Hopefully Netflix or HBO will pick up Clarkson, Hamster, and Captain Slow for a new car show. Imagine what they could get away with uncensored on a network not answerable to nanny state politicians.

VIP3R 237
03-27-15, 14:22
It's a sad day. Top Gear was far and away my favorite show on TV. I do hope someone else picks up the three.

Eurodriver
03-27-15, 15:41
It's a sad day. Top Gear was far and away my favorite show on TV. I do hope someone else picks up the three.

+1

Top Gear is literally the only television show I watch with any sort of regularity. I'm glad to see Hammond and May leaving it with Clarkson. I would absolutely refuse to watch May and Hammond with some other random dude on that show. Their camaraderie is what made the show work.

It did have to end sometime, so there's that. They were getting pretty old in this latest series, but it would have been really nice to see an over-the-top finale. That's about the only thing I am really upset about.

Big A
03-27-15, 15:53
Clarkson's temper tantrums are well known. Looks like it finally caught up with him. BBC execs have hated him and his non PC positions and attitude for a long time, and we're probably over joyed to be given a reason to sack him.

Hopefully Netflix or HBO will pick up Clarkson, Hamster, and Captain Slow for a new car show. Imagine what they could get away with uncensored on a network not answerable to nanny state politicians.

This^

Maybe they'll do us a favor and cancel American Top Gear too.

Big A
03-27-15, 15:56
+1

Top Gear is literally the only television show I watch with any sort of regularity. I'm glad to see Hammond and May leaving it with Clarkson. I would absolutely refuse to watch May and Hammond with some other random dude on that show. Their camaraderie is what made the show work.

It did have to end sometime, so there's that. They were getting pretty old in this latest series, but it would have been really nice to see an over-the-top finale. That's about the only thing I am really upset about.

That^

And now we probably won't get to see the P1 vs the 918 vs The Ferrari The Ferrari.

HKGuns
03-27-15, 16:53
The other two have already stated they won't continue the show without him, so there you have it.

Ned Christiansen
03-27-15, 17:30
Super bummer. Can't beat that Limey humor!

WillBrink
03-27-15, 17:31
The other two have already stated they won't continue the show without him, so there you have it.

No surprise that, but good on them. They are smart enough to see the writing on the wall and the chemistry always seemed to strongly suggests they were all mates.

TriviaMonster
03-27-15, 18:16
Smoke sent for Top Gear.

Easily one of the best shows ever created with humor and a budget that would make most big screen producers jealous.

Let's get a rolling list of the best episodes for the noobs in our midst.

Vietnam special. Just epic cinematography and bleeding with culture, this is without a doubt worthy of watching with friends. Plus the backup bike (no spoilers) is just effing hilarious.

Big A
03-27-15, 18:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

gunrunner505
03-27-15, 18:58
If I'm not mistaken there's 2 networks in the UK that have already said they want him. Bidding war for the services of Mr. Clarkson? Hamster and Slow have already said they will not do the show without him so maybe Top Gear lives on with a new name and network?

Great show. Hope it doesn't go away entirely. I'd hate to have to resort to watching Top Gear US....

ETA: Fire the cast of Top Gear US and hire these 3.....[emoji3]

MountainRaven
03-27-15, 19:59

Hopefully on a network not answerable to sponsors - like Netflix or HBO. Else we'll get another American Top Gear (except with better chemistry between the leads - assuming that they'd be OK with doing a show where they aren't allowed to offend a car maker).

Hank6046
03-27-15, 20:23
Hopefully on a network not answerable to sponsors - like Netflix or HBO. Else we'll get another American Top Gear (except with better chemistry between the leads - assuming that they'd be OK with doing a show where they aren't allowed to offend a car maker).

Top Gear and Netflix seems like an ideal solution, they control the content the way they want it, they got away with a lot on the BBC, I think any other network will want more control of programming

LoveAR
03-27-15, 21:00
Good riddance. Show was pretty goofy.

jaxman7
03-27-15, 22:22
Good riddance. Show was pretty goofy.

Everyone has their opinion. Yours is wrong. ;) A couple members and I have been texting back and forth on this topic the last few days. This sucks. I absolutely love that show and man was I looking forward to the (hopeful) show down between the LaFerrari, 918, and the P1. If you guys follow the show...maybe we could've ended the series with a Jennifer Clarkson. :) There is a rumor that BBC's competitor, ITV, may pick up the trio. Obviously under another name. Best show on TV...hate to see this but good on Hammond & May.

-Jax

jaxman7
03-27-15, 22:30
And just to throw this out there I really think James May/Captain Slow sandbags to keep up the funny stigma of being Captain Slow. Think about it. He's been given driving tips by the likes of Mika Hakkinen (the only other F1 driver that Michael Schumacher said made him nervous), Jackie Stewart, etc. Has been driving fast cars for years. Even owns a Ferrari 458. Honestly don't care though if he is. The Captain Slow moniker and the way Clarkson and Hammond pick on him about it cracks me up.

-Jax

Ned Christiansen
03-27-15, 23:38
Transmorgrified to another network, and the name "Top Gear" doubtless having been the object of much attention from BBC barristers and trademark examiners @.gov.uk, I predict the show will be called......

"Second Gear".

Which, yes, I get it, "top gear" is the last gear, the gear furthest from 1st, but who's to say whether that last gear be 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th, so, "second" is the logical choice. Sez me.

Honu
03-28-15, 01:04
or

Overdrive ?

Alex V
03-28-15, 08:09
There is already a show called 5th Gear. Who cares what they name it, I'll watch it.

I love those guy.

Anyone who wants to have a good laugh, look up Captain Slow's appearance in Gordon Ramsey's "The F Word" show

Frailer
03-28-15, 09:18
The original "Toybota" episode is one of the funniest things ever aired on television.

Koshinn
03-28-15, 09:21
I loved the Ford Fiesta segment.

No.6
03-29-15, 11:07
Don't forget THE STIG!

Ned Christiansen
03-29-15, 11:29
Yeah I kinda figured on the final episode, he/she would be revealed. We got screwed outta that!

WillBrink
03-29-15, 11:56
Yeah I kinda figured on the final episode, he/she would be revealed. We got screwed outta that!

Was revealed as being racing driver Ben Collins who "was revealed to be the Stig in a court battle over Collins' impending autobiography, titled The Man in the White Suit."

Big A
03-29-15, 12:04
Was revealed as being racing driver Ben Collins who "was revealed to be the Stig in a court battle over Collins' impending autobiography, titled The Man in the White Suit."

Ben was just one of many drivers who have been the STIG.

ramairthree
03-29-15, 12:32
US cable production team moves to UK.

Hires the three for a series called "Higher Gear."

Higher Gear becomes to car shows,
say something like Game of Thrones is to a network TV fantasy series.

Which brings up the question-
how do Netflix and HBO profit off of high expense, high production value shows?

Or, even,
what do the cable networks turn out shows with relatively lower budgets- Burn Notice, The Americans, The Walking Dead, Vikings, etc. that I will buy and watch while on a plane, a trip, or something-
but have virtually no interest in any major network series?

MountainRaven
03-29-15, 14:10
Netflix and HBO make money directly from subscribers.

If you want to watch Game of Thrones or House of Cards, you have to pay HBO or Netflix. Or you can wait until they come out on DVD (which is about ten months after they originally air in the case of Game of Thrones). And, of course, Netflix and HBO make money off of DVD sales.

Network television, on the other hand, is - by and large - paid for by advertisers. That's why you can watch many network TV shows without paying a penny to a cable or satellite provider. So long as you don't mind wishy-washy reception. Of course, there are cable and satellite network TV shows, too, and they make some money from cable/satellite subscriptions, but are still primarily paid for by advertisers.

I think that HBO also makes money from cable/satellite providers, because you have to have cable or satellite to get HBO... although it sounds like HBO is going to start offering a stand-alone streaming service through Apple devices next month.

ClearedHot
03-29-15, 18:28
If all 3 presenters leave the show, the Top Gear franchise is pretty much done.

Eurodriver
03-29-15, 19:45
If all 3 presenters leave the show, the Top Gear franchise is pretty much done.

James May did an interview outside his house. Well, less of an interview and more of an ambush where he answered 5 questions.

1) James was adamant that Jeremy, himself, and Richard "come as a package, and for very complicated reasons it will not work without the three of us together."

2) BBC may allow Top Gear Live's world tour to continue with all three but not have any BBC branding associated with it (BBC owns The Stig, for example)

3) James said he's listing his Ferrari on Ebay.

Spurholder
03-30-15, 09:59
BBC's filled with dumbasses. They could've played this out a hundred different ways, and they chose COA 1 - slash and burn.

Jeff Bezos at Amazon should hire these three for whatever they want and package their new show (at double Top Gear's per show budget) with his Amazon Prime TV.

Ejh28
03-30-15, 10:46
BBC's filled with dumbasses. They could've played this out a hundred different ways, and they chose COA 1 - slash and burn.

Jeff Bezos at Amazon should hire these three for whatever they want and package their new show (at double Top Gear's per show budget) with his Amazon Prime TV.

Well it's pretty well known that Jeremy is an ass and has gotten into several fights with the higher ups in the show and at BBC. I think BBC just took this opportunity to fire him because they weren't sure another chance would come around where they could hold the moral high ground while pulling the trigger on him. I'm sure they hoped that Hammond and May would stay, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder what kind of contracts they have and if there is a non-compete clause that would stop them from just creating another show together.

TehLlama
03-30-15, 11:11

Wow, yeah. That's somebody with the bankroll to do it right (even if it's just a short run of three all-out 2hr specials), and it would pay for itself just bringing people to PrimeTV. I know they'll wind up with a home on TV somewhere, probably with some caveats due to ongoing involvement with other BBC projects for May and Hammond, but a limited engagement type setup with that would be amazing. Considering how good a job they did with the latest RX episode bringing in Tanner Foust with May, it would be genuinely cool to see a partially multinational cast going on with that if the storyline allows for it.

BIGUGLY
03-31-15, 10:19
I am going to miss that show as well as my boys they love that show. Good for them for all sticking together and leaving as one. And yes the American version sucks.

Spurholder
07-31-15, 09:54

Wow - looks like someone thought about it ...

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/why-jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-team-went-amazon-094240045.html

Good news - a lot of Amazon's original programming is really good. I thoroughly enjoyed "The Man in the High Castle," and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one.

TehLlama
07-31-15, 19:57
Your assessment on that probably was mirrored by somebody at Amazon - it's basically a can't lose. They'd spend as much trying to get people onto PrimeTV through just advertising, but this sells itself and adds content.

Spurholder
08-01-15, 12:47
Your assessment on that probably was mirrored by somebody at Amazon - it's basically a can't lose. They'd spend as much trying to get people onto PrimeTV through just advertising, but this sells itself and adds content.

You're right - Bezos is able to throw out a large amount of coin...like $250 Million!!

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/cost-amazon-250-million-clarkson-hammond-may-210500858.html

No.6
08-02-15, 11:46
About a year before it's available. Can't wait.