PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloader questions.

huntswithweim
03-28-15, 17:12
I am going to be picking up a muzzleloader this year for deer season. Thinking a T/C Impact, going low cost due to testing the black powder waters and I don’t want to drop big money. I know there are a few manufactures that make a specific muzzleloader scope, but what is the difference between a muzzleloader scope and a rifle scope. Or is it just branding. I plan on going with a 2x7 or even a 1x6. Any of you that use a muzzleloader have any recommendations.

bjxds
03-29-15, 19:10
The TC Impact looks like a nice gun.

Muzzleloader scopes are sometimes 30-35mm, and less magnification ie 2x7 as opposed to say a 40mm for rifle, 3x9, 4x12. Nikon makes a several BDC models and the Omega is designed for a muzzleloader 250grn bullet with 150 grns of powder that can be adjusted for other loads.

It really depends on your use, I use a 3x9 40mm because I had an extra one, but keep it on 3x the majority of the time, as I only shoot 90-100 grns of powder/pellets. The majority of deer I shot in the last 2 years have been within bow range, and this includes during rifle season.

I know you didn't ask but there are also many choices of loads, bullets/sabots, powerbelts and powders, loose and pellets, Pyrodex, 777....

I hope this helps.

sourdough44
04-29-15, 03:56
I think for the M-L season in KS one can't use a scope, other times it's O.K.. That's what I saw while researching a hunt.

I'm a Knight guy, but the T/C's are fine. If it was me I'd get something like a lighter weight Knight Mountaineer.

I only shoot Blackhorn 209 powder in my M-L's now. It's high energy, and you can leave a gun sit a few days during a hunt and not have corrosion issues. That's after shooting, I still clean up fairly soon after shooting.

Check out modernmuzzleloaders.com for a plethora of M-L information.

huntswithweim
04-30-15, 20:18
Will do. Most forums I found were for old school type ML.

Honda4828
06-06-15, 22:21
Any rifle scope will work on a ML.