PDA

View Full Version : Handguard Recommendation Question

gfanikf
03-31-15, 07:54
Hey guys,

My dad is looking to replace the default handguards that he got with his PSA 16 inch upper (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18865/s/psa-16-mid-length-chf-5-56-1-7-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle/) a few months ago. He doesn't want to spend more than $160. This upper did come with a front sight post. He currently runs a budget Bushnell Dot on it. I think he has it co-witnessed or at least would like to do so. Basically he needs a handguard set that preferably incorporates the existing front sight post. However, if a good deal or product is out there, he's not opposed to removing the front sight post as he already has a Magpul FBUS. I don't think he really cares about Key Mod vs MLock vs Standard (since from my understanding everything is going to be backwards compatible and I don't see him running a huge lights and laser side setup), so it doesn't have to be a deciding factor, I just figure standard or Keymod will be best.

ggammell
03-31-15, 08:23
$160 will be hard to find new. Even the Midwest Ind. models suggest for $200 retail. The used market would be a good place to start.

I assume you're looking to get away from the generic, useless except as a handguard style hand guard. If he just wants a different guard for feel preference, try the Magpul handguards.

straitR
03-31-15, 08:27
In the $200 range, my blanket answer for anyone wanting keymod would be Midwest Industries SSK series, as it seems to be the most bang for the buck. I don't own one, but I've handled rifles with them and like the size/weight/feel.

gfanikf
03-31-15, 08:39
I should have used a better title. He specifically wants a rail vs a new (ie magpul) handguard.

bowman57_2
03-31-15, 10:04
ALG EMR

BatteryOperated
03-31-15, 10:29
ALG EMR

Best bang for the buck, and Geissele mass production type quality to boot.

556BlackRifle
03-31-15, 10:36
ALG EMR

+1 Nice setup and in your price range. (You might be able to shave the FSB or better yet, spend another $30 on a low profile gas block.)

http://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-v2-m-lok.html

gfanikf
03-31-15, 11:49
Gentlemen thank you very much for your suggestions. I'll be very happy to report back to my dad with these choices. I was also suggested Strike Industries one with a FSP gap and also MI products in a few places). I truthfully think he'll like the option that only requires a gas block switch or incorporates it as opposed to a shave which I'm not sure if he'd feel comfortable doing or just wouldn't want to risk a fubar.

Uprange41
03-31-15, 12:13
The ALG EMR is a great handguard.

I have a 12" FSP and a 9" Midwest Industries two-piece free float rail, and I really like them for the money. They use the factory barrel nut, and in my shooting have held rock solid. If he wants to free float, that's a great option. I got the 12" on sale at Midway, with Midway money and a holiday coupon, for about $75 out of pocket. Got the 9" on eBay for $111 shipped. For your dad's rifle, BCM has the 9" for $165 right now.

NCHornet
03-31-15, 16:30
Magpul Moe would be my choice now. I have realized that I don't really need a rail. I use an Elzetta 1500 light mount and only use the bottom rail for an AFG 2 , so there isn't really a need for a rail. I also prefer a FSB vs a low pro gas block. But that is what I love about the AR PLATFORM, you can deck it out just the way you like. A have gotten all of rails on the EE for under $100, TROY, MI, and KAC just to name a few.

Jpoe88
03-31-15, 16:37
I'm running a Knights armamant RAS. Snatched it off of eBay with covers and fore grip for ~$120 it was brand new. Seems to be decent enough!

Iraqgunz
03-31-15, 17:41
Does your RAS work with a midlength FSB?

I'm running a Knights armamant RAS. Snatched it off of eBay with covers and fore grip for ~$120 it was brand new. Seems to be decent enough!

Iraqgunz
03-31-15, 17:43
Why does he want a rail? What will he do with it? These are questions that should be asked. I also recommend keeping the current set up and then purchase the correct rail. If the FSB isn't bothering him, then leave it alone and use a rail like the Centurion Arms C4.

Hey guys,

My dad is looking to replace the default handguards that he got with his PSA 16 inch upper (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18865/s/psa-16-mid-length-chf-5-56-1-7-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle/) a few months ago. He doesn't want to spend more than $160. This upper did come with a front sight post. He currently runs a budget Bushnell Dot on it. I think he has it co-witnessed or at least would like to do so. Basically he needs a handguard set that preferably incorporates the existing front sight post. However, if a good deal or product is out there, he's not opposed to removing the front sight post as he already has a Magpul FBUS. I don't think he really cares about Key Mod vs MLock vs Standard (since from my understanding everything is going to be backwards compatible and I don't see him running a huge lights and laser side setup), so it doesn't have to be a deciding factor, I just figure standard or Keymod will be best.

Jpoe88
03-31-15, 17:47
It won't. It's on a carbine length

arptsprt
03-31-15, 17:48
When I took Mike Pannone's carbine course a few years ago, he spoke highly of the YHM handguards. They are in the price range you seek. I have not seen or touched this product personally.

Iraqgunz
03-31-15, 17:57
That was my point. He has a midlength so it won't help him.

It won't. It's on a carbine length

Jpoe88
03-31-15, 20:53
That was my point. He has a midlength so it won't help him.

K thanks. OP, I misread your post. Sorry for misinformation!

Side note, if I missed some cryptic lingo where he did specify length, please inform me.

Ryno12
03-31-15, 21:20
Side note, if I missed some cryptic lingo where he did specify length, please inform me.
He has a link to the upper in question at the beginning of his post.

Hey guys,

My dad is looking to replace the default handguards that he got with his PSA 16 inch upper (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18865/s/psa-16-mid-length-chf-5-56-1-7-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle/) a few months ago...

Iraqgunz
03-31-15, 22:58
Ryno nailed it.

K thanks. OP, I misread your post. Sorry for misinformation!

Jpoe88
04-01-15, 06:55
i see that.

gfanikf
04-01-15, 12:17
Why does he want a rail? What will he do with it? These are questions that should be asked. I also recommend keeping the current set up and then purchase the correct rail. If the FSB isn't bothering him, then leave it alone and use a rail like the Centurion Arms C4.

Thanks. I sent him a message today asking him that and I'll post up his response when I get it back. I'm personally thinking he's not going to want to touch the FSP if he doesn't need to. Hopefully his clarification will help as he joked earlier that it seems everyone has a different recommendation from each other.

I also need to double check on the gas system as his may be a carbine. I may have linked the wrong one from an old email. It's the same otherwise.... besides the gas system potentially.

JG007
04-01-15, 22:09
for under $200 I'd take a look at primary Arms, they have the troy mid length battle rail with front sight cut out. it was the only option when I looked for my mid length and it's worked well

I like a ffs and have a Daniel Defense 9.5 lite rail on may 11.5

Jpoe88
04-02-15, 06:44
I also need to double check on the gas system as his may be a carbine. I may have linked the wrong one from an old email. It's the same otherwise.... besides the gas system potentially.

No kidding! If it is a carbine there are tons of great options obviously and everyone clearly has a different opinion. I just wouldn't go for the $25.99 eBay ones. A buddy has one and while it works, it's quite heavy.

gfanikf
04-02-15, 09:58
Some updated info I still need to check out the gas system. My dad is going to look for his order email or I'll just double check the upper tonight when I stop by.

I did get a chance to ask him some questions about what he's looking for.
1. More comfortable to shoot with.
2. Doesn't want to touch the FSP or really futz around with a new gas system.
3. Be able to still use and possibly cowitness his Bushnell green or red dot (can't remember the color off hand).

JG007
04-02-15, 10:50
primary Arms just emailed 20% off *TROY handguards, there are options, even with midlength, for front sight cut out rails

gfanikf
04-02-15, 10:59
I can confirm the Gas is a Mid Length system as listed in the link in the op.

Iraqgunz
04-02-15, 16:05
It's 20% off Troy Battle Rails only.

primary Arms just emailed 20% off all handguards, there are options, even with midlength, for front sight cut out rails

Singlestack Wonder
05-06-15, 12:34
The Daniel Defense RIS II series the is rail all others are judged against. For those that cry its not keymod, I've also got BCM KMR rails and while they are light, my next purchases will be back to DD's RIS II series for a number of reasons. For true ruggedness,they can't be beat. Brownells has the RIS II FSP on sale right now for $199. Regularly $379.

turnburglar
05-06-15, 13:09
If he likes his front sight, he can keep his front sight: magpul hand guards.

Alg does make an excellent rail though.