PDA

View Full Version : Swapping out a MK12 Gas Block and Rail Questions

gfanikf
03-31-15, 08:47
So basically I was able to get in on that amazing Western Sport Daniel Defense 10.3 Barrel and MK12 Gas Block deal https://www.westernsport.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=DD-07-077-07125&CartID=1. Now I didn't initially notice that the MK12 block limits ones one to only using the RAIS rail system. This leads me to two questions:

1. Can I first simply swap out the gas block for another gas block that doesn't have the clearance issues? If so can people recommend a gas block that ensures the least clearance problems?
2. If for some reason I can't switch the gas block or I'm too lazy to do so; I can just use a shorter rail system (say a 9 inch) and that should alleviate clearance issues, correct, or do I have to go smaller?

I know the obvious option is to just use the RAIS system, but I honestly don't have any lights or lazers now and I'd rather use a key mod based rail.

Iraqgunz
03-31-15, 23:14
I have no experience with that block per se and I was under the impression that the MK12 was somewhat low profile. In fact, it doesn't look any larger than other ones, so I am not sure why it won't work.

Cannot say for sure if another block will work since we would need more info.

So basically I was able to get in on that amazing Western Sport Daniel Defense 10.3 Barrel and MK12 Gas Block deal https://www.westernsport.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=DD-07-077-07125&CartID=1. Now I didn't initially notice that the MK12 block limits ones one to only using the RAIS rail system. This leads me to two questions:

1. Can I first simply swap out the gas block for another gas block that doesn't have the clearance issues? If so can people recommend a gas block that ensures the least clearance problems?
2. If for some reason I can't switch the gas block or I'm too lazy to do so; I can just use a shorter rail system (say a 9 inch) and that should alleviate clearance issues, correct, or do I have to go smaller?

I know the obvious option is to just use the RAIS system, but I honestly don't have any lights or lazers now and I'd rather use a key mod based rail.

gfanikf
04-01-15, 08:44
Well the knowledge of it not working only comes from what DD put on their MK12 page on their site and what's on the Western sports page (same word for word). I wish I could add more, but I have no experience with the block. It does arrive today and I could take some pics if people are interested.

Anyway I was able to get in touch with Daniel Defense and they recommend I simply swap it to their clamp on low profile .750 gas block as it should prevent any clearance issues.

Admittedly part of the problem is I don't know what rail I will want. The only thing I can say for sure is I don't want to be limited to the RIS rails.

davidjinks
04-01-15, 16:09
I think you mean the RIS rail, but I could be wrong…

You need the low pro GB from DD to work with "most" rails out there. The link below is for the 10.3" barrel, however the middle barrel picture with the LPGB is the one you need. I believe you have to call DD and special order it because it is not listed for sale on their site.

https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/10-3-inch-chf-barrels/10-3-5-56mm-carbine-1-7-government-profile.html