PDA

View Full Version : Books or DVDs on setting up a course?

10MMGary
07-10-08, 19:32
I am curious if there are any books or DVDs out there that show and explain in detail how to set up a basic carbine course? Additionally I would also need to know and understand some of the various move and shoot drills. I will be doing this on my own property and will be able to shoot safely to my front and rear, the 3 & 9 O'clock positions have heavy tree cover but will not be shot directly into. The area I have to dedicate to this is 75 yards long X 50 yards wide with berms 25 foot tall and 35 foot thick at the base and 175 feet in width.

I have been shooting and hunting since childhood and even built my own ARs from stripped uppers and lowers. But have decided to learn to shoot it while on the move, recognize and deal with the things that most likely could go wrong or occur while doing this. My lovely wife will be joining the learning experience with her own AR as well. Now having said all this, I'll add that I am 52 years old in fair shape and will be incorporating a vigorous(for me at least:D )exercise program to this endeavor.

At this point I am only interested in the basics, or fundamentals if you will. We both plan to take instructed courses next fall. I just want to set up my own to be able to use it whenever I want and to say I did it. So feel free to offer any constructive tips recommendations or advise.
TIA,
Gary

ToddG
07-10-08, 21:38
Gary -- Shooting, like driving, is not something you can learn by reading about it or even watching a video. When you practice what you don't know how to do, you just waste time and ammo ... and often build up bad habits that will be hard to overcome.

My advice is to find a class sooner than you'd planned, and then you can start setting up your range to practice the things you've learned.

K.L. Davis
07-10-08, 22:32
Roger that... one of the hardest things about training people, is breaking them of bad habits -- if a person, or persons regularly practices an improper technique, it can be difficult to "re-educate" them. One particular problem is that if you become good at doing something wrong, then the correct way is not as effective (immediately) for you, and does not feel comfortable... this leads to a student doubting the instructor, because the instructor's way is more difficult and does not work as well; once the specter of doubt is raised, it can hinder the entire training session.

Todd has some good advise... learn a little, then practice that a lot... repeat.

10MMGary
07-11-08, 10:01
Yeah in all honesty I kind of figured that. Like coach Knight of NCAA fame like to say "Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect"
I am just tired of varmint and bench shooting. I just ordered some HV rifle steel silhouettes and swinging pendulum paper target holders along with a life sized steel coyote complete with swing out boiler room section that shows you when you made a good hit. I guess I just get started with building up my muscle mass endurance and losing some of this middle aged fat.

P.S. Anyone aware of basic carbine classes over the summer in the Tampa FL or south central FL area? I just can't imagine any of the good instructors working here or coming here during the summer heat and humidity.

The Archangel
07-11-08, 10:41
Funny you should mention that... :o

Magpul Dynamics DVD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSJS3-O9xDo

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15398

;)

10MMGary
07-11-08, 10:56
Thanks for the links Archangel, at the least I'll get ideas on some set ups and props needed.