PDA

View Full Version : PA 1-6x vs swfa classic 1-4x

philipeggo
04-01-15, 17:07
I've narrowed my choices down to these two optics. But since I can't actually see either before I buy them I'm reaching out to see if anyone has trigger time on them. I think I prefer the reticle of the PA but I feel as if the swfa SHOULD be of higher quality. Granted that could just be because of a higher price point. Also the webpage for the swfa says something about the eye relief changing? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

dwhitehorne
04-01-15, 17:42
Eye relief does change about an inch from low power to max power. The PA site even lists two different eye relief numbers. I like the PA optic, but I have never tried the SWFA to compare. My other scope is a Leupold VX-R firedot circle. The Leupold is much clearer, but I like the PA ACSS reticle so much more I end up using the rifle with the PA scope more than the Leupold. David

philipeggo
04-01-15, 19:54
roger that. The vx-r was one that i was looking at as well however i didnt care for the reticle. The SWFA looks like it has clearer glass than the PA and a better reticle than the leupold. But i havent had the chance to handle one hence the question. Thanks for the help.

Eye relief does change about an inch from low power to max power. The PA site even lists two different eye relief numbers. I like the PA optic, but I have never tried the SWFA to compare. My other scope is a Leupold VX-R firedot circle. The Leupold is much clearer, but I like the PA ACSS reticle so much more I end up using the rifle with the PA scope more than the Leupold. David

RWH24
04-02-15, 00:09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFDHS7Vi_Vs

philipeggo
04-05-15, 17:20
I saw that, i ended up with the PA. Though the leatherwood cmr4 entered the discussion as well. I think the PA will serve me well until I can afford a nightforce or the IOR pitbull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFDHS7Vi_Vs

B Cart
04-05-15, 21:10
I have both, and I like the Primary Arms 1-6 better, all things considered. The glass on the SWFA 1-4 is nice (maybe slightly better than the Primary Arms), but in my opinion, debating about really nice high end glass in a 1-6 is almost pointless since the magnification is so low. You aren't going to notice the difference of super high end glass on a 1-4 or 1-6 variable like you would in a higher magnified optic.

Having shot both quite a bit, even though I said the SWFA has maybe slightly better glass, I can't really notice any difference in clarity between the SWFA 1-4 and Gen 2 PA 1-6. They are both close to true 1x. The reason I like the Primary Arms better is mainly the reticle and the extra magnification. I have grown to REALLY like the ACSS reticle on the PA, and I can definitely notice and appreciate the extra 2x over the 1-4 variable scopes.

So, in a nutshell, they are both awesome optics, but the PA seems to have just as good of glass, extra magnification, and a much better reticle.