PDA

View Full Version : Any pool players here?

MBtech
04-01-15, 20:11
So I used to play pool quite a bit back when I was younger but haven't played in years. I've been playing pretty regular here lately about 1-2 nights per week. Just for fun with some friends, no crazy betting or hustling going on unless maybe $5-$10 per game just for kicks which usually just ends up who gets to buy the next round of drinks.

Anyway, I've been nosing around for tips and pointers since I've started playing again and ran across this. It's an older video but wow!

25 sickest pool trick shots...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oIQO5IHi8KQ

This little kid would probably beat me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H7B1NhceHEg

williejc
04-01-15, 21:36
Anybody remember Willie Mosconi?

MBtech
04-01-15, 21:55
Anybody remember Willie Mosconi?

He makes it look easy too, this is the kind of info I'm looking for also to improve my game with. Not to mention buying a pool table of my own. Cool you brought him up, not famiar with him but he's legit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wvXkhdINjS4

williejc
04-01-15, 23:50
I think that Mosconi performed Jackie Gleason's fancy shots in The Hustler.

tb-av
04-02-15, 10:21
I think that Mosconi performed Jackie Gleason's fancy shots in The Hustler.

I believe you are correct. I grew up with a pool table in my basement. Needless to say we played all time. I got to the point at one time where I would rack up and if i missed re-rack. I made it up over a full rack but those guys that can really play can do that all day long. Haven't played in probably 30 years.

uffdaphil
04-02-15, 17:22
Eight ball paid for my beer in college, but bar challenge is single-A ball compared to the talent in many pool halls. I played a guy so drunk he could barely walk, but could maintain the half second of stillness to clean out me and every other good player I knew. Used to play the N.D. state champion regularly - cheap lessons in technique and humility.

Snooker was THE game for me. A couple hours warm-up on the big green and bar tables seem like manholes in a bath towel.

MBtech
06-03-15, 03:29
Bump... Just got a screaming deal on a Steepleton full size slate table that I absolutely can't pass up. A couple is in the middle of moving and the table needs to go by Sunday. It is about 110 miles away from my house. I called a company there to get a price on moving it for me and is roughly $600.

Anybody disassembled one, transported and set back up? I'm torn between doing it myself if I can talk a buddy or two into helping me or just paying to have it moved.

Smash
06-03-15, 12:31
Bump... Just got a screaming deal on a Steepleton full size slate table that I absolutely can't pass up. A couple is in the middle of moving and the table needs to go by Sunday. It is about 110 miles away from my house. I called a company there to get a price on moving it for me and is roughly $600.

Anybody disassembled one, transported and set back up? I'm torn between doing it myself if I can talk a buddy or two into helping me or just paying to have it moved.

My sister stored hers in my house while her house was being built. It was stored in my house in pieces and then moved to their house. They paid someone to put it together and "set" it. I think if you're willing to move it yourself you could probably save the money and just have the table professionally set back up.

MBtech
06-03-15, 14:09
My sister stored hers in my house while her house was being built. It was stored in my house in pieces and then moved to their house. They paid someone to put it together and "set" it. I think if you're willing to move it yourself you could probably save the money and just have the table professionally set back up.

Good advice, I think you are probably right. I looked around online at some information and videos on the disassembly process and that looks like a piece of cake, other than the slate is going to be heavy as hell and will have to be careful not to chip or crack it. However setting it back up properly is where a professional that does it all the time will by far most likely save me time and frustration and a better playing table in the end. Plus I think I might have it felted in a different color in the process.

After reading your post I just called the billiards store near me and they quoted me $225 to set up and around $50 for travel because I'm over 30 miles away. I've seen several of this model table used for $1000-$1200. Doing it that way I'll still only have around $600 total in it including my gas to get there and back.

Smash
06-03-15, 14:34
Good advice, I think you are probably right. I looked around online at some information and videos on the disassembly process and that looks like a piece of cake, other than the slate is going to be heavy as hell and will have to be careful not to chip or crack it. However setting it back up properly is where a professional that does it all the time will by far most likely save me time and frustration and a better playing table in the end. Plus I think I might have it felted in a different color in the process.

After reading your post I just called the billiards store near me and they quoted me $225 to set up and around $50 for travel because I'm over 30 miles away. I've seen several of this model table used for $1000-$1200. Doing it that way I'll still only have around $600 total in it including my gas to get there and back.

My roommate in college worked for a moving company. An older couple he moved gave him a ridiculously awesome pool table that we ended up putting the garage with some tv's mounted on the walls. We actually moved it all in one piece but we had 6-8 college age males doing it.

We did get it re-felted and had them "set it" for level. I think it was about 225 so that's probably the going rate. You wont regret it. Even if the wood doesn't look good, nice new bright colored felt makes it a great table.

MBtech
06-03-15, 14:57
We did get it re-felted and had them "set it" for level. I think it was about 225 so that's probably the going rate. You wont regret it. Even if the wood doesn't look good, nice new bright colored felt makes it a great table.

This thing is in great condition, and worth putting a few bucks into. They said it came with the house when they bought it and was hardly ever played on. $200

I'm going to put a maroon/wine color felt on it I think.

I almost feel guilty getting it that cheap.... almost :)

MBtech
06-03-15, 15:05
Hopefully it will go this smooth and easy, looks like the same kind of table.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1lt4vZ5C8