PDA

View Full Version : Has the ACOG fallen out of favor?

Johnson184
04-02-15, 10:05
I remember when I first got into guns 8 years or so ago, people were recommending Aimpoints/Eotechs and ACOGs if you could afford them.

Nowadays... I never see ACOGs anymore on people's setups. Has everyone switched to red dots and magnifiers to variable scopes?

KingsideRook
04-02-15, 10:24
ACOGs are quite rugged and well made, but it's possible that fixed power scopes are of limited utility for most non-military consumers, compared to what else can be bought with that same money. I'm not the One True Expert on optics, but I can see that 1-4/1-6 variable scopes have gotten crazy good for what an ACOG costs, and for 90% of non-military use, are also rugged enough. They're also often lighter, have better light transmission, with longer eye relief, true, bright battery illuminated reticles, and have more mounting options.

Even Trijicon is seeing that high quality variables are the future, I think, hence the VCOG. ACOGs are continuing to excel in their military roles by being more soldier-proof and battery-independent than some other options, I'm sure, but for many in LE and civilian life, the burgeoning crop of variables offer more value.

I still have a warm spot in my heart for a TA33-G, but it's not enough to make me buy one again at around $800, because my Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 is just fine - for my humble purposes- for $500ish.

sevenhelmet
04-02-15, 12:14
I don't know if they are in popular favor, but my TA-31 is still very much in favor with me.

nimdabew
04-02-15, 12:50
I won't be buying another. I have had three or four different ones on my rifles at various times.

Alpha-17
04-02-15, 13:08
I still run a TA11E on my SCAR 17S. While it's true that a mid-range variable optic will be cheaper and almost as high of quality as an ACOG, the important part is "almost". I wouldn't say that ACOGs have fallen out of favor, just that the market is much, much larger these days, and there are far more options than there were even 7 or 8 years ago.

docsherm
04-02-15, 13:34
I would say no. The market is vast now days and most people don't want to pay that price so they go with a different optic. Those that want a very tough quality optic still go with the ACOG. They still serve a purpose. I have 4 and they love them on for what I use them for.

Kain
04-02-15, 14:11
I would say that no, they have not fallen out of favor as much, as others have said, there is just a lot of other options out there. I still consider the ACOG to be one of the most rugged optics out there and truly love mine for what I use it for. And while you don't see many at most ranges(I never did and still don't(well except for the chinese knock off look alike red dots who some have claimed are better than a real ACOG, seriously no shit that is what I have had people tell me, though that is another discussion for another time.)), I still get people who are very interested in the optic and many who will tell you that it is on their short list of desired optics.

NoveskeFan
04-02-15, 14:16
I have a TA31RCO on one of my carbines. Let a buddy shoot with it the other day and he fell in love with it. He has variables on all his, but really liked the simple reticle and clarity.

Ryno12
04-02-15, 14:21
I've always wanted an ACOG, but they're in the "too expensive to justify" category, along with KAC & Surefire. That and their various models & designations confuses me even more than Magpul does with all their three letter stock models.

uffdaphil
04-02-15, 17:49
I only bought my TA33 3x because a generous member gave me 50% off MSRP, but now it's the last optic I would give up. So much less weight and bulk than my variables and makes a decent red dot occluded. Got a slightly less good deal on a 1.5x which I would like better with younger eyes.

The TA02 4x LED is what I'm dying to try though they never seem to be heavily discounted.

nimdabew
04-02-15, 18:28
I only bought my TA33 3x because a generous member gave me 50% off MSRP, but now it's the last optic I would give up. So much less weight and bulk than my variables and makes a decent red dot occluded. Got a slightly less good deal on a 1.5x which I would like better with younger eyes.

The TA02 4x LED is what I'm dying to try though they never seem to be heavily discounted.

The TA02 was my last ACOG. I had electronicnproblens that Trijicon fixed pretty quick, but it was still a sour note. It was also heavier than the TA31 and the light source was either slightly too dark or too bright. If they had on - on - off - on - on - off instead of on - off - on - off, the illumination knob would be a lot better.

If Trij made a battery powered 1.5 or 2x, I would probably buy it. They don't, so I just keep buying red dots.

GO_ALLOUT
04-02-15, 18:48
Love my TA02...felt like a gamble going with the battery powered option but so far (over 1000 rounds) not even a hiccup.

What I'm really wanting to try is the 1.5X and also a VCOG!!!

im.runandgun
04-02-15, 21:27
With who?

OIPactual
04-02-15, 21:44
For what an ACOG was/is designed to do, you can't beat it.

infidelcrusader
04-03-15, 15:17
I've trusted my life to them in combat, and my confidence in them is now on my personal weapons. I love them. Mine aren't going anywhere.

Livefreeordie92
04-06-15, 21:55
I would say that no, they have not fallen out of favor as much, as others have said, there is just a lot of other options out there. I still consider the ACOG to be one of the most rugged optics out there and truly love mine for what I use it for. And while you don't see many at most ranges(I never did and still don't(well except for the chinese knock off look alike red dots who some have claimed are better than a real ACOG, seriously no shit that is what I have had people tell me, though that is another discussion for another time.)), I still get people who are very interested in the optic and many who will tell you that it is on their short list of desired optics.

Hey, if it looks like an acog and does the same thing shooting 50 rounds through paper every six months and costs a tenth of what the acog does, it has to be better right? :sarcastic:

Kain
04-06-15, 22:06
Hey, if it looks like an acog and does the same thing shooting 50 rounds through paper every six months and costs a tenth of what the acog does, it has to be better right? :sarcastic:

Yeah, well, when it looks like an ACOG, but is a red dot POS instead that has a plastic body, and the argument used that it is better is because the reticule can be changed from red to green....

ltcal94
04-06-15, 22:29
I have two 4x ACOGs mounted on my 5.56 mm rifles. A TA31RCO-M4CP (HK MR556) and a TA02 (green horseshoe- FN SCAR 16s).

IMHO, these optics make me look like an expert marksman at the range. I actually a bit torn between which reticle I like the best as both have their pros and cons.

I will add that I am quite surprised that the TA02 does not seem to have the same following as the TA31 series. I really like the way the reticle brightness works, although I won't dispute that a few more brightness setting wouldn't be nicer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Livefreeordie92
04-06-15, 22:45
Yeah, well, when it looks like an ACOG, but is a red dot POS instead that has a plastic body, and the argument used that it is better is because the reticule can be changed from red to green....

I'll never understand why "you get what you pay for" never sinks in for some people.

tommyrott
04-07-15, 00:40
had some overtime burning a hole in my pocket so I splurged on a EE TA-33 that turned out to be not such a hot deal, well sent a note requesting a RMA to trijicon , they verified serial # and sent me the RMA , 6 weeks later I had a TA-33 that was now worth what I paid for it .

CatSnipah
04-07-15, 06:08
I'm on the camp of "it's awesome, would like to have, but can't justify the cost" for what I'd get.

I already spend too much on things I may not really need, lol.

Eurodriver
04-07-15, 08:25
I would say no. The market is vast now days and most people don't want to pay that price so they go with a different optic. Those that want a very tough quality optic still go with the ACOG. They still serve a purpose. I have 4 and they love them on for what I use them for.

Agreed.

I used to have four, and sold three of them to fund other projects. I regret that decision.

78Staff
04-08-15, 19:45
I've got a few Aimpoints, and tried a few scopes, but have always wanted the ACOG - was able to purchase one earlier this year at a nice price from a local shop - the TA31 RCO - and I enjoy shooting it the most of all my optics...

turnburglar
04-09-15, 16:06
I'm on the other end of the spectrum apparently. I was not the impressed by the acogs I handled in the military. The tritium didn't work very well at night, and the fiber optic light transmission is a really cool concept but in practice I find battery powered optics to be superior. Like really aimpoint makes a AA battery last 8 years. The technology is there. I think the acog was the hot ticket 10 years ago, but there's no reason not to evolve. Also the eye box is pretty atrocious.

Put me in the camp that if I am spending acog money there's a lot of variables on the market I'd go after first.