PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 2 uppers and 1 lower

bates
04-02-15, 12:13
Wanted to get some thoughts on having 2 uppers set up for 1 lower.

I was all set initially on building a really nice 14.5 AR-15, I went ahead and SBR Registered my Noveske Gen 2 lower, but in the last few months since I have bought the lower I have shot a few matches and now don't want the 14.5, while I was waiting I built a very nice 16inch gun, and figured if I am going to have the stamp why not get a shorter barrel, plus I want the SBR to have a can and like shorter barreled upper with cans on them.

I want this to be a very nice Combo, that I can do just about anything with or shoot any matches or classes with.

Here is my Build Plan.

Lower
Noveske Gen 2 Lower
Magpul STR Stock
SD-3G Trigger
MOE Plus Grip
Seekins button and Paddle
JP Captured Silent Spring
Battle Arms 45 Safety

18 Upper
Noveske Gen 3 Upper
Noveske NSR 16.7
JP lightweight 18inch Barrel
JP BCG and SLR Adj Gas Block
Vortex Razor 1-6
SilencerCo Brake

SBR Upper
BCM Upper Receiver
URX 4 10.75 Rail
BCM SS 12.5 Barrel
SilencerCo Brake
Aimpoint Micro t-2

I am researching Cans right now and plan to either buy the Specwar K or the Octane from Silencerco

Each upper will wear the SilencerCo Muzzle Brake.

The 18 will be for competitions and the 12.5 for fun, I doubt I will suppress the 18 that much unless I use it for hunting, the 12.5 will be shot suppressed though.

thoughts......................

officerX
04-02-15, 12:24
That's the beauty of the AR! You can have 15 different uppers, in different lengths and calibers, and only NEED one lower.

bates
04-02-15, 12:37
I agree

plus I really like Cmc or Giesslle triggers, short throw ambi safeties, and seekins or noveske lowers, that crap add ups. Hard to have a bunch of $600 plus lowers, not to mention if they have a stamp.

plus I feel an 18 and 12.5 is a big difference in the 2 platforms and each would be better that their intended uses.

TacticalMark
04-02-15, 13:01
I would use a Vltor A5 RE setup instead of the JP.

vicious_cb
04-02-15, 20:23
The vltor A5 is the perfect solution for this kind of problem.

bates
04-02-15, 20:37
I've got the a5 on my 16 and the silent captured on my 300 blk

I like each

I figured the Jp would be better for this since I'm running a more gaming comp 18 inch upper with lighter internals and then full mass in the shorty

vicious_cb
04-02-15, 20:42
I've got the a5 on my 16 and the silent captured on my 300 blk

I like each

I figured the Jp would be better for this since I'm running a more gaming comp 18 inch upper with lighter internals and then full mass in the shorty

Do you know for sure the jp buffer system will work with both uppers? Because the A5 will. With the A5 you dont have to change out springs or buffers, you can simply just swap uppers without worrying about anything granted you are running a buffer that works with both.

Bluedreaux
04-02-15, 21:04
I've done the lower swap thing before and unless they're very similar builds I think it'll just disappoint because you'll end up compromising somewhere.

The LMOS lower won't be great with the SBR.
An A5 won't be great on the LMOS upper.

If you're set on keeping just one lower I'd recommend going A5 on the lower and adjust your gas on the 18" accordingly, but that kind of negates the purpose of the adjustable gas block and JP carrier. You can get a very smooth AR if you just go A5-rifle gas-standard carrier-brake on the 18" upper. Especially if you keep the adjustable gas block. If you have the compromise, I'd compromise with the LMOS parts.

ScatmanCrothers
04-02-15, 21:34
Every time I've planned on running two uppers on one lower I've ended up with two lowers.

A complete lower or stripped lower and parts kit are cheap and readily available right now. Plus you're going to be adding suppressors and adjustable gas blocks into the mix which will require adjusting on the buffer tube setups and frequent changes most likely. Set it and forget it with two lowers and if something were to happen to one you've got another ready to go. Throw my touch of OCD into the mix and I'm not liking the constant changing of uppers on an SBR'd lower or the chance of forgetting to switch out a part intended for a different upper and having the rifle fail in a critical situation. That's just me.

With the money you're going to spend on that list of gear I'd drop another 3-400 on a quality 2nd lower.

bates
04-03-15, 07:31
The real problem is I want to use the noveske lower and upper for the 18 inch gun bc I am going to run it the most and I really like the set.

So if I did another lower I would want to find a noveske gen 2 or 3 Lower for the 18inch it's not going to be easy to find right now.

So for now Ill probably just build as planned and use the a5 system

If it doesn't work out I will just buy another lower

themonk
04-03-15, 09:41
My problem is everytime I put an upper in my safe it ends up growing its own lower ;)

Flankenstein
04-03-15, 11:18
Thoughts on 5 lowers and 10 uppers? You'll end up with 10 complete rifles and start buying more uppers and lowers/

RegisteredTM
04-04-15, 21:37
I'm sure you'll end up with another lower sooner than you might think. Uppers seem to generate lowers, and vice-versa.

strambo
04-05-15, 10:12
It is a noble effort you are embarking upon, I wish you luck. I have an AR with a SBR lower where I don't even switch uppers, just barrel and optic (LMT MRP). Of course, I have another 5.56 AR, a .22 build, finishing up a lightweight, and 2 more lonely lowers waiting to "become."

Uprange41
04-05-15, 14:01
I tried it... doesn't work.

For a very short month or so, I had a BCM upper and a complete M&P Sport... The Sport upper was useless to me at that point. Couldn't stand having a frankengun, so I got a BCM lower from Grant.

All is well, and I'm never going to try the upper swap thing again.

bates
04-20-15, 19:31
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/cbbates3/D20DCD4E-4C3A-4812-AF56-1FCEC1F46F7B_zpswzrg8s44.jpg (http://s125.photobucket.com/user/cbbates3/media/D20DCD4E-4C3A-4812-AF56-1FCEC1F46F7B_zpswzrg8s44.jpg.html)

Didn't work

KalashniKEV
04-20-15, 20:13
I lived my life for a long time with one SBR'd M4-type lower with standard internals and one M16-type lower with an RRA NM trigger.

Multiple uppers for each, and even multi-caliber with the SBR'd lower...

As others have said though, it doesn't work out forever, but I was proud to have operated that way for several years.