PDA

View Full Version : Proper forum for build parts questions/opinions?

Tarasdad
04-02-15, 15:41
I'm trying to decide what parts to get for my AR build. As part of the process I'm doing as much research as possible before putting down scarce funds on a purchase. Which forum would be the best place for me to ask questions on particular parts that I find, or to ask for recommendations?

I do have a good idea of what I want to build (HD/SD/PHTF/informal target/range gun with MAYBE potential hunting use) and the price range ($500+/-). I'm funds limited due to being retired/disabled and living (if you can call it that) on SSDI.

TehLlama
04-02-15, 15:44
For now use site search a LOT - you'll learn more reading up front, but take note of where (which subforum) you're finding good information and good feedback to initial thread posts in - from there it's pretty straightforward.
I'd start off looking for various budget builds, and then start searching on stuff that comes up in those threads until you start having a clearer idea what exactly you want to do. Since you will likely be money ahead going used, you'll want to be maximally well versed in things.

GH41
04-02-15, 16:42
I'm trying to decide what parts to get for my AR build. As part of the process I'm doing as much research as possible before putting down scarce funds on a purchase. Which forum would be the best place for me to ask questions on particular parts that I find, or to ask for recommendations?

I do have a good idea of what I want to build (HD/SD/PHTF/informal target/range gun with MAYBE potential hunting use) and the price range ($500+/-). I'm funds limited due to being retired/disabled and living (if you can call it that) on SSDI.

You are asking for a lot with a $500 budget. Unless you already own the tools necessary to properly build the rifle you won't be able to do it for anywhere near $500 even if you use Chi-Com parts. Your best chance for doing it is to buy used. S&W MP15 can be had used for that. I'd also take hunting off of your bucket list unless you can budget $1++ per bullet and are real good with iron sights.

Ryno12
04-02-15, 17:06
I have to agree with GH41. $500 is just too low. Building anything close to that price will be junk. You're best bet is to save up for something decent. If you absolutely need an AR right this minute, look for a used M&P.

Uprange41
04-02-15, 17:06
Are you in CA or TX? Makes a bit of a difference. I know the M&P15 Sport can be had for about $550 new now, but I have no idea about the CA compliant version.

Is the $500 a strict budget for everything (gun, ammo, mags), or does it apply just to the rifle?

Tarasdad
04-02-15, 19:03
Commiefornia, unfortunately. Hoping to be able to move to a more Constitution-friendly state soon-ish. CA-compliant rifles tend to cost a bit more, or more than a bit more depending on the dealer. Sadly we're a bit shy of gun shops, at least compared to what was available when I still lived in Texas!

As for the $500 that's just the rifle. I've been looking at this Bear Creek Arsenal upper (http://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upper-assemblies/ua223cm41619-p-shg) and building a lower, just not sure which one. I'm trying to stick with a budget build at first but do hope to build/buy at least one more quality rifle, more if possible. Being a former competitive marksman I'd love an accurate match rifle, or even one for bench shooting capable of really top-notch accuracy. Right now though I'm just focusing on a basic rifle. I already have an optic, an old Weaver V4.5-II 1.5-4.5x scope that I just need a mount for. That will eventually be replaced by a good red dot or maybe even an Eotech if I can save enough for one. One thing I have already planned is upgrades. That's why I'm trying to stick with a decent upper and lower receiver at least, so that I can put better parts on over time. Eventually I'll use the replaced parts to build a second rifle, either as a backup or for my wife if I can get her interested in shooting. I can't afford top-shelf, but if I can get a decent starting point I'll be happy.

I haven't discounted just buying a decent lower-end rifle. I've considered the S&W but would rather have the Ruger AR556. The only problem would be coming up with the $700 they go for on sale. Being on a fixed income really sucks at times, darn it! I can get everything from Del-Ton to Daniel Defense and LWRC, the big issue being what I can actually afford. I wish it weren't so, but cost is a factor. A big one.

MistWolf
04-02-15, 19:05
"It don't matter at all where you played before, California is a brand new game"

If you're in California, I suggest you check out calguns.net. They are the single best source for navigating your way through the labyrinthine laws in the PRK and help you source an AR. Just come back and check with us here to make sure you get a good quality AR, not a crapstick with bunch of useless junkola hanging from it

Tarasdad
04-02-15, 19:36
I'm a member at CG, and the advice there is why I'm asking here! :D

J4ggy
04-02-15, 21:20
For accuracy the quality of the lower doesn't really help. The trigger perhaps but a geisslle or cmc will easily be $125+. Get a basic forged lower and you'll be good. Spend most of your money on the upper. Palmetto state armory has complete lowers in the $125 range which includes a milspec trigger. I wanna say I've seen CA compliant lowers on there before. You could build a complete basic rifle there for around $550 and it'll be decent. Could be what you need for now and upgrade the barrel, free float handguard, etc over time.

Tarasdad
04-02-15, 21:26
PSA has a CA-compliant lower parts kit with MOE grip in FDE that I'm leaning towards but it's out of stock right now. Their uppers are the other ones I'm looking at. I like the Bear Creek one because it's a .223 Wylde chamber. PSA is tempting me badly with their Easter sales though!

Iraqgunz
04-02-15, 22:48
Stay away from that Bear Creek Armory stuff, it's complete trash. I see they omitted their claims of 150,000 round barrel life. If you can't afford to wait, then stick with a handgun. There is no reason why you cannot purchase a solid upper and then wait a few months and get the lower.

vicious_cb
04-02-15, 22:51
I dont think its possible to get a GOOD brand new AR for $500. I would either wait until you have more funds or scour the EE or marketplaces for some good used parts otherwise you will just end up with a piece of junk that will cost even more money to troubleshoot and fix.

NWcityguy2
04-02-15, 23:35
I like the Bear Creek one because it's a .223 Wylde chamber.

There is no functional difference between a 223 Wylde or 5.56 chamber on a budget barrel. I'll let someone else answer if there is a difference on higher end guns, as I've seen some incredibly accurate 5.56 uppers. I think people latch on to certain features and say, "I have to have that," even when it does them no actual benefit when all things are considered. Even on a top notch barrel, it's a moot point talking about the merits of a 223 Wylde chamber if you plan on using a lower powered optic and bulk ammo.

With your budget, PSA is the obvious choice. I don't know much about CA compliance, but a basic upper with a chrome lined barrel and a BCG/charging handle combo will leave you under your budget.

Tarasdad
04-03-15, 00:28
Like this? http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-m4-cmv-mp-upper.html

There's a gun show coming up on the 11th that I'll try and get to. probably won't buy anything - unless I see a great deal on an upper or lower (HAH!) - but it will give me a chance to look and see what I can see. Maybe get hands-on with some different rifles, get a feel for what I like as far as features.

I'd love to get something better but the earliest I can probably even think of that will be at least 6 months away. Who knows what kind of idiotic laws the morons in Sacramento - or DC - will get passed by then. Or what new directives our stellar Attorney General Kamala Harris will have the DOJ and BOF issue to redefine state law, despite not having the power to do so.

I really, really need to get OUT of this state....:help:

MistWolf
04-03-15, 02:09
You can find some good stuff at PSA, but ya gotta know what to look for. Stay away from anything with "PTAC" or "BLACKHAWK" in the description.

A carbine length gas system will serve you fine, but in my experience the midlength has better utility when choosing a 16 inch barrel. Operating pressures are less and if you can only afford standard handguards, the extra length of the middies will be welcome

GH41
04-03-15, 05:41
Like this? http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-m4-cmv-mp-upper.html

There's a gun show coming up on the 11th that I'll try and get to. probably won't buy anything - unless I see a great deal on an upper or lower (HAH!) - but it will give me a chance to look and see what I can see. Maybe get hands-on with some different rifles, get a feel for what I like as far as features.

I'd love to get something better but the earliest I can probably even think of that will be at least 6 months away. Who knows what kind of idiotic laws the morons in Sacramento - or DC - will get passed by then. Or what new directives our stellar Attorney General Kamala Harris will have the DOJ and BOF issue to redefine state law, despite not having the power to do so.

I really, really need to get OUT of this state....:help:

This is one reason why buying the cheapest (The PSA upper you linked to) is usually worst deal. For $70 more you could have this. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-chf-20-5-56mm-1-7-rifle-length-a2-profile-w-bcg-charging-handle.html

NWcityguy2
04-03-15, 08:59
For the upper, if the budget is fixed and any $$$ saved helps, get the upper you were looking at. It has a chrome lined barrel, with HPT/MPI for QC. It isn't made by FN like many of their barrels are, but there are lots of good barrel makers out there.

If you have a bit more to spend up front, then here is the Mid-length I personally own. After 4k rounds, it's been flawless and comes with an FN barrel, which are very good.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-16-mid-length-cmv-cl-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Then grab their BCG/Charging handle combo and you'll have about $125-150 left for a lower.

7.62NATO
04-03-15, 11:46
Save a little more money and assemble a suitable lower and upper:

Lower: Complete BCM from G/R Tactical
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM
OR
Complete Sionics Weapons System
http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store/product.php?id_product=99

Upper:
Mid-length BCM upper
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

OR

Buy a Colt LE6920 California-compliant version

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/84319

Don't buy anything from Bear Creek!

Stay strong despite your disability.

NWcityguy2
04-03-15, 12:21
That's basically double his budget.

Tarasdad
04-03-15, 17:07
If money were no object I'd be shopping for LaRue or Daniel Defense. Heck, I've even thought about trying to borrow the tools to build an 80% lower to save on costs! Trust me, I know I'm limiting myself by sticking to cheap parts, but it's what I have to do if I want an AR of any type whatsoever. Later on I may be able to look at something in the $1k range, but that's a LONG way off.

Tarasdad
04-03-15, 17:16
For the upper, if the budget is fixed and any $$$ saved helps, get the upper you were looking at. It has a chrome lined barrel, with HPT/MPI for QC. It isn't made by FN like many of their barrels are, but there are lots of good barrel makers out there.

If you have a bit more to spend up front, then here is the Mid-length I personally own. After 4k rounds, it's been flawless and comes with an FN barrel, which are very good.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-16-mid-length-cmv-cl-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Then grab their BCG/Charging handle combo and you'll have about $125-150 left for a lower.

The lower you linked is one of the other uppers I've looked at and it's solidly in the price range I'm comfortable with, even without the BCG and CH. This kind of feedback is exactly what I'm after, too! My budget has a little flex, but not much more than, say $100-$150 max. This and a good lower would be exactly what I'm after right now. I want to get a rifle together and shooting and then I'll start considering upgrades, such as a decent trigger and good optics.

I can get Anderson lowers locally for about $60 - plus tax and Commiefornia's idiotic DROS fee. One thing I have decided is that I am steering clear of poly lowers, especially the ATI that is most common locally. Why spend $50 for a plastic lower when I can get a good forged aluminum lower for about the same price?

7.62NATO
04-03-15, 19:01
If money were no object I'd be shopping for LaRue or Daniel Defense. Heck, I've even thought about trying to borrow the tools to build an 80% lower to save on costs! Trust me, I know I'm limiting myself by sticking to cheap parts, but it's what I have to do if I want an AR of any type whatsoever. Later on I may be able to look at something in the $1k range, but that's a LONG way off.

You will not save any money buying tools and an 80% lower.

A basic Colt (read: LE6920/6720), or a pieced together BCM/LMT/Sionics, is much cheaper than a Railed DD or Larue. You will shoot yourself in the foot if you spring for a $500 AR. Heed to this advice.

Lastly, you're a fool if you don't save another $300 and buy this:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/colt-ar-15-5-56nato-16-carbine-pencil-barrel.html

Regularly in stock at $799.

Tarasdad
04-03-15, 19:28
If I'm a fool for not having wads of cash to spend then so be it. I will buy what I can afford and be happy with it. What I will not do is sit by and be insulted for being poor.

Blocked.

NWcityguy2
04-03-15, 20:29
I've got one PSA lower and two Anderson lowers, and I dare say I like the Anderson ones better. The finish is darker and smoother, plus the new ones have an integrated trigger guard, which I love.

NWcityguy2
04-03-15, 20:37
You will not save any money buying tools and an 80% lower.

A basic Colt (read: LE6920/6720), or a pieced together BCM/LMT/Sionics, is much cheaper than a Railed DD or Larue. You will shoot yourself in the foot if you spring for a $500 AR. Heed to this advice.

Lastly, you're a fool if you don't save another $300 and buy this:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/colt-ar-15-5-56nato-16-carbine-pencil-barrel.html

Regularly in stock at $799.

You're whole point thus far is that he needs to spend more money, even when he has clearly defined his budget and reasons for it. I think you'd find him more willing to listen to you if you connected that thought to actually inserting a magazine into the gun, pulling the trigger and having it shoot a bullet. You know, to do what he wants to with the gun. I just reloaded 1500 rounds of ammo to shoot over the next few months out of my two ARs, one of which is a PSA and the other one I built myself using mostly PSA parts. My guns shoot a bullet every time I load them and pull the trigger, so maybe you could educate me as well.

7.62NATO
04-03-15, 21:01
You're whole point thus far is that he needs to spend more money, even when he has clearly defined his budget and reasons for it. I think you'd find him more willing to listen to you if you connected that thought to actually inserting a magazine into the gun, pulling the trigger and having it shoot a bullet. You know, to do what he wants to with the gun. I just reloaded 1500 rounds of ammo to shoot over the next few months out of my two ARs, one of which is a PSA and the other one I built myself using mostly PSA parts. My guns shoot a bullet every time I load them and pull the trigger, so maybe you could educate me as well.

I am not getting into a debate over why I choose BCM over PSA. The OP is free to do it his way, for better or worse.

7.62NATO
04-03-15, 21:02
If I'm a fool for not having wads of cash to spend then so be it. I will buy what I can afford and be happy with it. What I will not do is sit by and be insulted for being poor.

Blocked.

You can't teach an old dog to sit.

NWcityguy2
04-03-15, 21:44
I am not getting into a debate over why I choose BCM over PSA. The OP is free to do it his way, for better or worse.

That's fine, I won't debate you. If you give your personal experiences, and how they have shaped your opinion both with the equipment you are recommending and recommending against, I'll leave it at that.

SeriousStudent
04-03-15, 21:50
Since the conversation can't stay civil, it's not going to continue here.

Folks need to dial it back, if you wish to keep posting here.