PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an EXTRA Hi-Rise 1 piece mount.

FatedFrenzy
04-04-15, 11:17
Living in NY, my EDC AR if you will, has a Thorsden NY Compliant stock on it. For those that are unfamiliar with these stocks, they're very comfortable and surprisingly ergo, but force you to use a shooting style closer to that of a traditional rifle such as a Model 700 or M1A.

There is no nose to the charging handle, so that mixed with the cheek riser forcing you to have a higher optic can be a challenge.

Currently I have a short, 3-9x32 scope with medium height QD rings mounted on a 1" aluminum riser. I'm not a big fan of the large bulky riser for its looks, added weight, or the fact that I'm unable to mount BUIS with this set up. Sure, I could go with a 3/4 or maybe even a 1/2 riser with High rings, but that's almost as bad.

I'm looking for a 1 piece mount that is extra tall. My current centerline is about 2 3/8". I'm unaware of any mounts with this height, so I'd love some input.

GH41
04-04-15, 16:00
This may be a dumb question.... Does the law require you to use the Thorsden receiver extension?

FatedFrenzy
04-04-15, 16:35
This may be a dumb question.... Does the law require you to use the Thorsden receiver extension?

No. It's a standard Stag Arms Mil-spec buffer tube with a Thordsen plastic cover and cheek riser. The plastic cover is very thin, and for cosmetics only. If I take the cheekriser off I could get away with a 3/4" riser. But still doesn't really give me what I want plus it looks even worse without the riser.

GH41
04-04-15, 17:28
Last question.... These ""medium height rings" you have... What the center height to the top of the receiver?? Most AR mounts run 1 1/2" +/- from the center of the rings to the top of the receiver.

FatedFrenzy
04-04-15, 17:52
2 3/8" from top of receiver to center-line of the rings

GH41
04-06-15, 20:31
I think I get it.... The Thorsden RE cover has that funky cheek riser on it. Why not use a carbine length pistol RE (round) with a foam cover on it? Get your head down instead of trying to jack up your scope to use the turkey neck riser. Am I missing something?

FatedFrenzy
04-06-15, 21:02
Like I said though, even removing the cheek riser and just resting on the tube we're talking about a 3/4 riser, MAYBE a 1/2. Plus, I like having the keyed tube on there so, if for any reason, like a SHTF scenario, I can quickly and easily swap my grip and adjustable stock back on.

SomeOtherGuy
04-07-15, 23:21
American Defense makes a Recon-H mount that is extra tall. 1.84" with 1" diameter rings, 1.93" or higher with larger diameter rings. Might be worth a look.

I still don't quite understand why you want/need it so tall even with the funky Thorsden stock (which I looked up). All that extra height will do funny things to your zero and exaggerate any deviation from perfectly vertical when the shot is fired.

GH41
04-08-15, 05:22
"I like having the keyed tube on there so, if for any reason, like a SHTF scenario, I can quickly and easily swap my grip and adjustable stock back on"

Does this mean that you can shoot the setup you have now with a normal stock attached???

FatedFrenzy
04-08-15, 06:38
Believe me, I tried all heights and it took the set up I have now to see clearly through the optic. It's not any higher, in fact it's probably lower, than adding an optic to an A2 carry handle. So that shouldn't effect anything.

I don't think I tried this optic with a standard stock set up. I know with the standard set up, I still used a 1" riser but with a red dot that has its own low pro mount. Adding a riser to THAT would cause my vision to be too high.