PDA

View Full Version : Question on Break-Free CLP

Slater
04-04-15, 13:07
Does anyone know what the shelf life of Break-Free would be? I was given a jug of this from a friend who is moving and didn't want to pack it. He says it's around 7 years old. Didn't know if it lost any effectiveness over that time period.

7.62NATO
04-04-15, 15:15
Does anyone know what the shelf life of Break-Free would be? I was given a jug of this from a friend who is moving and didn't want to pack it. He says it's around 7 years old. Didn't know if it lost any effectiveness over that time period.

Shake it well, and it's GTG.

cbx
04-04-15, 18:55
I have some that's 10-yrs old and still good.

Slater
04-10-15, 16:38
Out of curiosity, I E-Mailed Safariland (they own Break-Free) about this topic. Their representative replied and told me that the shelf life is 6 years unopened and 3 years if opened.

Doc Safari
04-10-15, 16:41
Interesting. I'm wondering what the life is if it's on your firearms locked in a safe with moisture control and reasonable indoor temperature variations?

dentron
04-10-15, 16:43
Its no good, send it to me to dispose of...

I wouldn't think it would break down in any realistic storage time frame. I wonder if they have that as a "suggested" rule like many other things that you can ignore?

markm
04-10-15, 18:46
Out of curiosity, I E-Mailed Safariland (they own Break-Free) about this topic. Their representative replied and told me that the shelf life is 6 years unopened and 3 years if opened.

Well my Gallon of it must have gone "bad" 3 or 4 years ago... But I'm still using it for cleaning guns. ;)

williejc
04-10-15, 19:29
25 years ago I had the same question and called the manufacturer. The gentleman who answered my question was the owner and inventor. He said that his research lab still had barrels of the original juice and that their data indicated an infinite shelf life. He pointed out that the plastic jug containers might degrade and leak. He told me that a generic version was being made by an outfit called Royal Lubricants(?), which did not perform as well as the real thing when used on 20 mm chain guns. One last thing that he shared was that you could buy 2 bottles and pour the white Teflon from one into the other and have a super dooper lube.

That's all I know.

Slater
04-10-15, 21:11
I have heard that the formulation has changed over the years. Don't know if that's for the better or not.

Moose-Knuckle
04-11-15, 00:13

Interesting. I have the aerosol cans of CLP so I don't see how it could be "open" to degrade.

DaBears_85
04-11-15, 02:23
It's lube. You're not going to be eating it. I wouldn't worry about the expiration date too much. If it looks like it's separated, give it a good ol' shaking.

Looking at my big ass bottle of Break Free, I don't see any expiration date on it. I know you're relaying what they told you over the phone, and I'm certain they know more about their own product than I do, but it seems to me that if its expiration were even a mild- to moderate-issue they'd list it somewhere on the packaging.