PDA

View Full Version : Carjacking Attempt in Smyrna, Ga.

Talon167
04-06-15, 06:56
Does not end well for said carjacker.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/justice/2015/04/04/pkg-woman-jumps-on-car-hood-attempted-carjacking.wsb

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/04/05/gun-toting-good-samaritan-thwarts-carjacking-georgia-car-wash

Being in Smyrna, I wonder if the good Samaritans were using Glocks. :o

Alex V
04-06-15, 08:22

My exact thoughts.

Is this considered a good shoot because the woman was in danger, being on the hood of the car and all? Just wondering how the law would see this.

sevenhelmet
04-06-15, 08:35
I am curious about the legal ramifications of this too- a car can be considered a deadly weapon, and the article stated the hijacker was being charged with aggravated assault, so it sounds good for the CHL shooter. I wonder how the process will play out on his end?

Please, for the love of all that is holy, let race not be brought up on this one.

Averageman
04-06-15, 09:27
I have to tell you, in my opinion if you're unarmed and getting car jacked, just let the car go. For the love of God, do not do a TJ Hooker "lets jump on the hood and hang on" kinda move.
Both parties in this crime went "Full Retard", the CC guy might or might not have made a good decison by getting between them.

nova3930
04-06-15, 09:42
I have to tell you, in my opinion if you're unarmed and getting car jacked, just let the car go. For the love of God, do not do a TJ Hooker "lets jump on the hood and hang on" kinda move.
Both parties in this crime went "Full Retard", the CC guy might or might not have made a good decison by getting between them.

Beat me to it. If my kid isn't strapped in the carseat in back, they can have the damn car. That's what I pay insurance for every month....

7.62NATO
04-06-15, 10:08
Does not end well for said carjacker.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/justice/2015/04/04/pkg-woman-jumps-on-car-hood-attempted-carjacking.wsb

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/04/05/gun-toting-good-samaritan-thwarts-carjacking-georgia-car-wash

LE sources claim a Glock 18 was used...

SomeOtherGuy
04-06-15, 10:13
LE sources claim a Glock 18 was used...

Serious or joking? Does the bad guy have a vertical line of gunshot wounds?

Averageman
04-06-15, 11:08
Beat me to it. If my kid isn't strapped in the carseat in back, they can have the damn car. That's what I pay insurance for every month....

I might fight you for the Fuzzy Dice on the rear view mirror though.

Sam
04-06-15, 11:13
.. For the love of God, do not do a TJ Hooker "lets jump on the hood and hang on" kinda move.

I'm not so sure about that, I think Dirty Harry and maybe even Starsky and Hutch perfected that technique a decade before TJ Hooker. :)

T2C
04-06-15, 12:47
Taxpayers - 1
Taxeaters - 0

NCPatrolAR
04-06-15, 12:49
What led to her being on the hood? Did the suspect just jump in the car at the car wash and try to drive off or did he fight the owner for the keys?

A case could be made that the owner put herself in danger by jumping on the hood to prevent the drive off?

Ick
04-06-15, 13:05
Five bucks says the story is..... she was being affectionate with the car and the door was open with the keys in the ignition.

Sam
04-06-15, 13:24
What led to her being on the hood? Did the suspect just jump in the car at the car wash and try to drive off or did he fight the owner for the keys?

A case could be made that the owner put herself in danger by jumping on the hood to prevent the drive off?

Milfmasta:

If you watched the entire video :) and paid attention to the narration you would have heard and seen that the "youts" in the burgundy van pulled into the vacuum spot next to the white coupe owned by the female. She got out and started to walk away (my guess is to get change or fiddle with the vacuum machine, she may have left the key in the car. One yout jumped into the white coupe and started it and backed out. Female saw her car moving away she went after it and jumped on the hood (Dirty Harry style but without the M29 .44mag). Yout kept driving and the "good samaritan" saw the whole thing and started to give chase on foot while drawing his blaster from what looked like the appendix location. He shot at the driver (don't know how many times) and hit him at least once in the shoulder. The yout fell out, stumbled around a little and collapse in the street. His homies in the van took off and left him. Popo still looking for the van and the others. The yout that got shot was taken to hospital and arrested.

BTW, a mutual friend of ours was working in that county until he retired two years ago. The carwash is less than two miles from the Glock factory.

Sam
04-06-15, 13:32
Taxpayers - 1
Taxeaters - 0

Just last week, another yout carjacked a vehicle and was chased by the PD. He lost control of the stolen vehicle and crashed sideway into a bank sign post, which was made out of I-beam steel. The I-beam sawed the car almost in half, the perp lost. So we can say that: Bank Sign 1 - Thug 0.

NCPatrolAR
04-06-15, 14:01
Milfmasta:

If you watched the entire video :) and paid attention to the narration you would have heard and seen that the "youts" in the burgundy van pulled into the vacuum spot next to the white coupe owned by the female. She got out and started to walk away (my guess is to get change or fiddle with the vacuum machine, she may have left the key in the car. One yout jumped into the white coupe and started it and backed out. Female saw her car moving away she went after it and jumped on the hood (Dirty Harry style but without the M29 .44mag). Yout kept driving and the "good samaritan" saw the whole thing and started to give chase on foot while drawing his blaster from what looked like the appendix location. He shot at the driver (don't know how many times) and hit him at least once in the shoulder. The yout fell out, stumbled around a little and collapse in the street. His homies in the van took off and left him. Popo still looking for the van and the others. The yout that got shot was taken to hospital and arrested.

BTW, a mutual friend of ours was working in that county until he retired two years ago. The carwash is less than two miles from the Glock factory.

Thanks. The footage from Fox that I saw yesterday only showed the woman on the hood and the CCW guy drawing his gun.

Not really a car jacking IMO and certainly not something I'd shoot someone or go hood surfing over

brickboy240
04-06-15, 15:30
Those that say, "let the car go...that is what I have insurance for.." have not ever had or known of someone that DID get their car stolen and had to wrangle with the insurance company afterwards.

I know two people of whom this happened and neither ended up with a replacement car anywhere near what they had before.

The insurance company tries to give you the least it can for your car and takes their sweet time doing so.

Iraqgunz
04-06-15, 15:38
Same thing I was thinking. I was under the belief that a carjacking required some forcible taking. Like yanking someone out of a car, or using a weapon to force them to get out.

I wouldn't have opened up either.

Thanks. The footage from Fox that I saw yesterday only showed the woman on the hood and the CCW guy drawing his gun.

Not really a car jacking IMO and certainly not something I'd shoot someone or go hood surfing over

Iraqgunz
04-06-15, 15:40
Actually I have. And whether it is a theft or accident the insurance companies will treat it the same. Now imagine, this. The women looses a few thousand dollars due to devaluation of the car. Or she gets pulled underneath it, run over and ends up a cripple for life or dead.

Which option sounds better?

Those that say, "let the car go...that is what I have insurance for.." have not ever had or known of someone that DID get their car stolen and had to wrangle with the insurance company afterwards.

I know two people of whom this happened and neither ended up with a replacement car anywhere near what they had before.

The insurance company tries to give you the least it can for your car and takes their sweet time doing so.

Sam
04-06-15, 16:05
Actually I have. And whether it is a theft or accident the insurance companies will treat it the same. Now imagine, this. The women looses a few thousand dollars due to devaluation of the car. Or she gets pulled underneath it, run over and ends up a cripple for life or dead.

Which option sounds better?

I understand totally your reason, if it was my car I probably wouldn't do the "hood surf" either. But some people that's all they have, their vehicle is the biggest cash investment in their whole life. She's probably making $400 payment for 60 months and that's all she's got. As for the good samaritan, we probably should go easy on him for doing what he did. Maybe he's had some training, maybe he didn't, he did the best he could under the circumstances. I don't think we should hang him for that.

SomeOtherGuy
04-06-15, 16:27

I was going to make basically the same comment as IG. Losing money is bad, but it's not nearly as bad as being dead, crippled, or in jail (for a wrongful shoot).

I had my car broken into just two months ago, and all I got the insurance company to pay for was the glass. I lost around $1000 worth of household stuff. With a $500 deductible my agent told me I would lose more in higher rates in the future than the $500 at most I'd get for filing a theft claim. I hate, hate that logic, but that's how it often works. (I also learned the hard way that Salt Lake City is not the safe and nice place I mistakenly thought it was - the police officer who took my report, while polite, was no more interested in my break-in than Detroit police would have been, and I had other SLC issues not relevant here.)

The main thing I came away with is that if I'm on a jury and I'm convinced the defendant is guilty of stealing, or worse, I will happily vote for the max sentence.

dwhitehorne
04-06-15, 18:49
The shooter is probably lucky in this case because of the good press. I'm sure we will never hear about the civil suit filed because of " the pain and anguish" the poor teenager suffered from a joy ride. I would love to see this quote from one of the news links read into the court record. Priceless:

"The guy that got shot, he was falling out of the car and he was holding his chest. And he started shivering and shaking, and then he kind of flopped on the ground," witness Chris Roberts said.

11B101ABN
04-06-15, 19:45
I fairly certain the shooter will be good to go, and will come out nicely on the civil side of things.

SteyrAUG
04-06-15, 19:53

Not everyone has replacement insurance, not everyone can afford to lose a car. I'm not advocating risking your life for a car, but not everyone is in a position to lose the few things they have. Losing a car to some people means losing your job because you can't afford to replace your car and that means possibly losing everything.

Eurodriver
04-06-15, 20:24
Slightly off topic, but infuriating and releveant. A coworker got her car stolen out of her driveway a few momths ago. She left it running while she ran inside to get something.

Kid hopped in as she was walking out and she chased him. He actually ditched the car and took off on foot.

Local PD showed up 20 mins later - didn't even give a **** or bother to dust or even do any investigative work at all. They almost treated it as "no harm no foul". Basically, told her she shouldn't live in the hood. unfortunately the "kid" that ran off broke into an elderly ladies home and put her in the hospital so she wouldn't call 911 because he feared the law was after him (they weren't)

He was 14 years old. He spent a month in jail and now he's back in high school with all of your kids. Some justice system.

Oh, I'm chasing someone if they take my car.

jpmuscle
04-06-15, 20:36
I'm not seeing the downside to pummeling someone for attempting to steal your property, legal liability notwithstanding. Once upon a time stealing a person's horse was a killing offense, or if you got away and caught later you'd fine end involving a rope.

Don't do dumb s**t and you won't have problems.

26 Inf
04-06-15, 22:36
Local PD showed up 20 mins later - didn't even give a **** or bother to dust or even do any investigative work at all. They almost treated it as "no harm no foul". Basically, told her she shouldn't live in the hood. unfortunately the "kid" that ran off broke into an elderly ladies home and put her in the hospital so she wouldn't call 911 because he feared the law was after him (they weren't)

He was 14 years old. He spent a month in jail and now he's back in high school with all of your kids. Some justice system.

Oh, I'm chasing someone if they take my car.

On the dusting - lifting latent prints from a steering wheel or door handle of a vehicle is not always possible. A lot of the dusting that used to be done was pretty much PR. It is also fairly difficult to find a classifiable latent print under ideal circumstances, generally the object has to be touched or grabbed in a 'non-shearing' manner or the result will be a smudged, unclassifiable print.

Yeah, I know CSI.

But there are lazy, unimaginative police officers.

We had an officer who had a cherry 68-69 Camaro. He was a jerk and so one day when he left his car parked out front of his house somebody walked the car, they jumped up and down on the trunk, roof, and onto the hood of the vehicle. I got the report for follow-up a couple days later. There are mentions of footprints on the vehicle, but no pictures, and no measurements, despite the fact that each of our units had a 35mm SLR with plenty of color and black and white film. And this victim was an officer, you'd think a fellow officer would roll out some professional competence, nope, he was a lazy douche. I didn't like either one of them, victim or reporting officer, but I wanted to find the damned guy(s) that did it.

Lazy, incompetents populate every area of our life.

Pilgrim
04-06-15, 22:44
This is Georgia, and if a car thief gets hurt badly, most of us really don't care.

Iraqgunz
04-06-15, 23:39
I understand. And you also have to have full coverage insurance. Many reputable companies have plans that pay off the vehicle, and will even make a down payment for a new vehicle.

Again, I completely understand people want o take action but one has to ask if the risk is worth the outcome. What would have been interesting is if this had been a legit repo order. Generally when doing repos, people don't ask permission to take the car and have to resort to some extreme methods.

I understand totally your reason, if it was my car I probably wouldn't do the "hood surf" either. But some people that's all they have, their vehicle is the biggest cash investment in their whole life. She's probably making $400 payment for 60 months and that's all she's got. As for the good samaritan, we probably should go easy on him for doing what he did. Maybe he's had some training, maybe he didn't, he did the best he could under the circumstances. I don't think we should hang him for that.

Iraqgunz
04-06-15, 23:43
Once upon a time, if you accidentally shot someone during the horse theft, I don't think a lawyer or magistrate would be hovering near by to get you.

I'm not seeing the downside to pummeling someone for attempting to steal your property, legal liability notwithstanding. Once upon a time stealing a person's horse was a killing offense, or if you got away and caught later you'd fine end involving a rope.

Don't do dumb s**t and you won't have problems.

SteyrAUG
04-07-15, 02:10
We had an officer who had a cherry 68-69 Camaro. He was a jerk and so one day when he left his car parked out front of his house somebody walked the car, they jumped up and down on the trunk, roof, and onto the hood of the vehicle. I got the report for follow-up a couple days later. There are mentions of footprints on the vehicle, but no pictures, and no measurements, despite the fact that each of our units had a 35mm SLR with plenty of color and black and white film. And this victim was an officer, you'd think a fellow officer would roll out some professional competence, nope, he was a lazy douche. I didn't like either one of them, victim or reporting officer, but I wanted to find the damned guy(s) that did it.

Lazy, incompetents populate every area of our life.

Whoever screwed up a classic car like that just because they hated the owner deserves to do life. There are plenty of other ways to even up without messing with things that should be left alone. Even Hitler's generals knew not to burn Paris no matter what the order was.

Eurodriver
04-07-15, 08:41
I understand. And you also have to have full coverage insurance. Many reputable companies have plans that pay off the vehicle, and will even make a down payment for a new vehicle.

It took 4 years and 2 deployments and many weekend nights sitting at home to pay cash for the EuroCar. I'd venture to guess that my car is worth $12,000~ insurance value right now. But to me my car is still worth the mucho dinero I paid for it. I can't afford another EuroCar right now, and if some hoodlum took off with my car I am SOL. I'm going after it. I'm not jumping on a hood, but Florida allows non lethal force to protect property. The onus is on said hoodlum if he doesn't want to give it up.

On the dusting - lifting latent prints from a steering wheel or door handle of a vehicle is not always possible. A lot of the dusting that used to be done was pretty much PR. It is also fairly difficult to find a classifiable latent print under ideal circumstances, generally the object has to be touched or grabbed in a 'non-shearing' manner or the result will be a smudged, unclassifiable print.

Yeah, I know CSI.

I get the whole dusting thing. I was just miffed that it took them 20 minutes to even show up, and there was no real urgency on their part. I'm not expecting SWAT responses to things like this, but it really sucks ass for that old lady.

Oh, and whoever messed with that Camaro was a jackass.

Talon167
04-07-15, 10:58
A different video (maybe you guys have seen it, but for those who have not):

http://www.nbcnews.com/watch/nbc-news-channel/watch-good-samaritan-help-woman-stop-carjacker-423597123998

Looks like the woman jumped on the hood intentionally. I am going to give her the benefit of the doubt and believe she wasn't thinking about her car insurance at the time and just doing the only thing she could think of. Good decision or bad decision? I don't know, not for me to decide.

I did like how in the video they said that, "... the good Samaritan waited for police to arrive, then went upon his day." That leads me to believe, at least initially, no charges were filed. I also noticed when he drew his pistol, his trigger finger was way up on the gun, like on the barrel hood. Very good trigger finger discipline, which would lead me to believe he has some training under his belt.

These are just a couple things I noticed. I am giving both of them the benefit of the doubt.

Then I see this article that says he won't be charged.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/smyrna/2015/04/06/carjacker-shot-smyrna-car-wash/25381707/

So, yea, could have been worse...

Moose-Knuckle
04-08-15, 05:46
A thief was shot in the act, only problem I see is it appears he will make a full recovery.