PDA

View Full Version : The Patriot Act

Koshinn
04-06-15, 07:31
It comes up for renewal in June for the first time since Edward Snowden leaked NSA documents.

John Oliver has a 30 min video he just posted on it. The humor is ok, but he addresses the topic well and in a way most people can understand.

https://youtu.be/XEVlyP4_11M

This is a discussion that will never be more important to have than right now. But I actually don't know how everyone feels on this issue. Should the patriot act be extended without changes? Should it be thrown out? Something in between?

Averageman
04-06-15, 07:56
I dont go to John Oliver for my News, I see him more as a Comedian. I do think he presents a bit of good info, I just could do without the back to back wise cracks.
I do think the Patriot Act was a knee jerk reaction that has given wide and sweeping powers to folks who sometimes have acted very badly with it. Clearly this administration has used a bit of this information in order to gain a political edge.
It was a bad idea at an emotional time, it's time to do away with it.

THCDDM4
04-06-15, 08:05
It needs to be killed post haste.

Contact your reps now and let them know how you feel.

I'm almost certain the critters will renew it. ****s.

sevenhelmet
04-06-15, 08:06
I think it should either go away or have oversight by someone not in the administration's pocket. Since that is likely not possible, it should go away.

Eurodriver
04-06-15, 08:07
Hahahaha.

Of course they will renew it.

You know who won't vote for it? Rand Paul. Too bad he is "unelectable", right RINOs of M4C?

jpmuscle
04-06-15, 12:03
Like everything else gov touches it's been expanded and bloated to a point far beyond it's initial intentions. It needs to go away, unfortunately it won't. It's to valuable to those who wield it.

Just goes to show that granting the government more power is always a bad thing.

Frailer
04-06-15, 12:18
It was a very bad idea when it was conceived, and it remains so.

Kill it. Dead.

TAZ
04-06-15, 14:57
It was an ill conceived abortion of an idea born out of a desire to exploit an emotional weakness after a time of tragedy. Kind of like a funeral home suggesting casket upgrades for your dead father about to be cremated. It needs to disappear. If there are worthy segments in there they need to be re-passed.

It will however stay with us till the end of times.

MountainRaven
04-06-15, 15:43
It needs to be killed with fire.

Big A
04-06-15, 16:33
Hahahaha.

Of course they will renew it.

You know who won't vote for it? Rand Paul. Too bad he is "unelectable", right RINOs of M4C?

Of course they will renew it. You don't want those TSA agents to be laid off do you? They have families to feed you know.

And without it terrorists will be able to carry out their wanton attacks all across America. Wal-Mart's, malls, NASCAR races, Disney, no place will be safe! Won't somebody please think of the children?!!!

And of course Rand Paul is unelectable, just look at that stupid haircut of his.

Koshinn
04-06-15, 17:05
This might be the only non-firearm topic that everyone here agrees on.

Hmm... even including firearm topics, this might be the only topic everyone here agrees on!

Mr blasty
04-06-15, 17:07
You don't want those TSA agents to be laid off do you? They have families to feed you know.
Yes, I do. They suck at there job and don't deserve to be funded by the taxpayers. And to hell with there family too. The government doesn't seem to care about my family when they screw up the economy and ruin my job so why should I care about them?its a dog eat dog world for the working class white male so I've run out of sympathy.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

glocktogo
04-06-15, 17:08
http://4funz.com/Funny-Pictures/random/img-nuke-it-from-orbit-830

brickboy240
04-07-15, 10:35
Obama and other Dems thought it was terrible when Bush and the Neo-Cons created this monstrosity.

Then...didn't Obama extend the Act?

Now..I think both sides realize this is a good way to spy on and punish their enemies so unfortunately...it will probably never go away.

...it should...but it won't go away.

jpmuscle
04-07-15, 16:22
Yea about all this....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/04/07/dea-bulk-telephone-surveillance-operation/70808616/

And while were at it...

http://www.wkbw.com/news/nyclu-releases-details-of-ec-sheriffs-cell-phone-spying

GunBugBit
04-07-15, 16:22
Most definitely it will be renewed, take it to the bank.

SteyrAUG
04-07-15, 17:20
We should agree to get rid of it in exchange for getting rid of Obamacare.

Both are a really bad idea.

Eurodriver
04-07-15, 17:46
We should agree to get rid of it in exchange for getting rid of Obamacare.

Both are a really bad idea.

What makes you think the people who want the Patriot Act don't want Obamacare?

SteyrAUG
04-07-15, 18:17
What makes you think the people who want the Patriot Act don't want Obamacare?

I don't really think that. I think everyone wants the Pat Act and everyone wants Obamacare. They just take turns calling each other the bad guy.

Eurodriver
04-07-15, 18:47
I don't really think that. I think everyone wants the Pat Act and everyone wants Obamacare. They just take turns calling each other the bad guy.

:moil:

26 Inf
04-07-15, 20:50

There is some truth to that statement.

Regardless, the Patriot Act needs to go.

Moose-Knuckle
04-08-15, 06:01
It's not expiring in June, only three provisions are set to expire; Section 206 dealing with "Roving Wiretap", Section 215 dealing with ALL civilian phone records, and Section 6001 the "Lone Wolf" amendment.

Does anyone really believe that the Federal Government would stop spying on US citizens if these three provisions were to sunset?

They sure as hell spied on We the People prior to it.

TMS951
04-13-15, 15:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M

Abraham
04-14-15, 10:10
Look up "The Vast Machine" - The P.A. is a part of it.