PDA

View Full Version : What kind of M4/ AR is it?

docsherm
04-06-15, 09:45
This has been bothering me for some time. If you build an AR what kind is it? The lower is the only part that is a firearm, should that be what it is called? Then again I feel that upper and lower receivers are not very important as long as they are way off. It is they parts that go in them that are important.

I have always called mine by what kind of barrel it has. I do this because I feel that the barrel is the most important part of the rifle.

So what are your thoughts?

skijunkie55
04-06-15, 09:53
Like "what name brand" is the rifle?

Noveske Lower, DD Barrel, Vltor Upper, BCM BCG and CH, Geissele Trigger and Rail, magpul furniture. What you would call something like this, I have no idea. Maybe just a hodgepodge of awesomeness?

edit: I guess I normally call most of mine by the barrel specs - 14.5" Carbine, 16" Midlength, 11.5" SBR, etc.

7.62NATO
04-06-15, 09:57
This has been bothering me for some time. If you build an AR what kind is it? The lower is the only part that is a firearm, should that be what it is called? Then again I feel that upper and lower receivers are not very important as long as they are way off. It is they parts that go in them that are important.

I have always called mine by what kind of barrel it has. I do this because I feel that the barrel is the most important part of the rifle.

So what are your thoughts?

Although a contentious topic among some, many allege unless you have the fun switch, it is an AR-15, not an M4/16.

Kain
04-06-15, 10:17
I have considered asking the same question. If we are talking what brand the rifle is if it is a build then it is hard to really define to a point. I know what it isn't generally. For example I have argued with others in the past since I had a guy try to sell me a BCM rifle where the only thing that was BCM was the CH and the rest was no name parts put together by God only knows who. Also, your rail doesn't define your rifle, since I see a lot of PSA, Bushy, and other crap brand rifles marketed local, as DD or Larue ARs because that is the rails that are on the AR.

I tend to use this rule of thumb. The rifle's major components are what defines the rifle to me. Now granted, my builds, involve complete BCM uppers, with lowers I put together, which I feel safe calling them BCM builds. Complete upper and complete lower I would just market it as being a build with X brand and Y brand. When we start buying all parts separately or building the upper ourselves, I generally just consider a custom build with X parts because the manufacture is not building the heart oft he rifle, the upper, and well not everyone can build an AR well. At that point it is an custom AR if we are being kind, or a frankenrifle if I am not, because if Joe blow is building it, and I don't know him from Adam, how do I know the rifle is going to work for any length of time?

This is my quick thoughts on the system and I am sure their are others who will have their own opinion. But to put it blunt and quick, your accessories do not define the rifle, it is what makes the rifle work.

Watrdawg
04-06-15, 10:18

Noveske Lower, DD Barrel, Vltor Upper, BCM BCG and CH, Geissele Trigger and Rail, magpul furniture. What you would call something like this, I have no idea. Maybe just a hodgepodge of awesomeness?

edit: I guess I normally call most of mine by the barrel specs - 14.5" Carbine, 16" Midlength, 11.5" SBR, etc.

I basically use the above in bold.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-06-15, 10:26
"What is that gun?"

"It's a <lower manufacturer> <barrel length> <barrel-manufacturer/upper-supplier> AR." Barrel length and upper can be condensed to <RECCE, SPR> if applicable.

If they are still interested or trying to finger bang it.

"I have it set up for <activity> with a <sights>, <buttstock> and <sling>, <bipod(optional)>."

Though if it is a 'un-cool' lower manufacturer, I say that its a "<lower manufacturer> that I put a <trigger manufacturer> in".

Kind of like a Native American way of naming things.

I never say M4.

TMS951
04-06-15, 10:30
Custom build or frankenrifle.

When asked about rifles I built I will reply with "I put this together with xyz parts." Typically I list the more important parts, Barrel, rail, Lower/upper, what ever parts I feel set that build apart.

I also build uppers and lowers more than complete rifles. My uppers and lowers get swapped around based on need. (mostly what trigger/stock I need for the task at hand.) So my builds change often in that sense.

Typically I mate Optics to uppers and that goes unchanged as I find constantly Zeroing optics tedious.

uffdaphil
04-06-15, 11:07
Barrel generally defines what I call it, but optic choice can change that. For example my 16" BCM SS410 is SPRish with a 1x4, but I would call it a precision gun with big glass or just a deluxe M4 with a red dot.

BoringGuy45
04-06-15, 11:31
My lower is an Anderson, but I got it stripped and it has a different LPK and a Geissele trigger in it. The upper is a Vltor with a FN barrel, Geissele rail, and soon to have a WMD bcg. To save time, I just call my "AR". If anyone asks the manufacturer, I just say I custom built it myself.

docsherm
04-06-15, 11:36
The way I look at it it could be. Take a Colt M4A1 and rebarrel it with a SS Noveske barrel and I would call it a Noveske rifle form that point on.

I should clarify, I use barrel lengths, gas systems, and brands, e.g. 16" Noveske Mid length. The reason I bring this up is that I also have a 16" Centurion Mid length.

I am also tired of seeing people slap a DPMS upper on a BCM lower and calling it a BCM and so forth.

docsherm
04-06-15, 11:38

On that I would call it a DD. The way I look at it a lower can be swapped out very easily and the barrel is what makes it what it is.

TomD
04-06-15, 11:49
M4gery or frankengun works for me and after that if interested enough can inquire as to the composition of the item. Or, if it works for you, who cares!!

JulyAZ
04-06-15, 11:58
I just call it simply a "build"
Not by any brand it's just a build, it conveys that now only is it a mixture of parts but that you built it, and not a assembly line.

Ryno12
04-06-15, 12:16
I always refer to them just by their barrel length, unless it's one that I have multiples of that particular length, then I include the brand of the lower.

Todd00000
04-07-15, 03:51
This is how I answer the question.

jaxman7
04-07-15, 05:52
DanVltor Defenske Bravo CompaLMT GeisseLeupold rifle ;)

-Jax

OIPactual
04-07-15, 07:19
Take the first letter of each manufacturer, mix in some vowels and there ya go!

BCM
DD
Armalite
Geissele
Fortis

Would equal....bdagf... Add some vowels and it could really be whatever you want!

Jpoe88
04-07-15, 08:15
My ar is a Palmetto State Armory upper and an Anderson lower with anderson lpk so I laughingly refer to it as my PalmAnderson. But in reality it's just my mutt carbine.

Well that sums it up, I typically refer to it as my carbine? i think I've tossed out there that it's a palmetto state setup before which isn't a lie being its a full upper from them.

sevenhelmet
04-07-15, 09:35
Barrel length and gas system seems to be a common and simple reference, for example: "This is my 18 inch middy, and over here is my 16 inch carbine" with further description as desired if you have more than one rifle of the same barrel & gas length.

Another way I describe them is intended use. "Here is my defensive carbine, and here is my competition rig" or whatever.

Or you could name your rifle "Jenna" or "Sunshine" or something. I'm not a fan of that personally, but to each their own.

Or you could be like Johnny Cash and say you got it one piece at a time: "It's a BCM, DD, Spike's, Giessele, CMC, Vortex..."

556BlackRifle
04-07-15, 09:59
If it's made with parts from one manufacturer like Noveske, I'd call it the "Noveske build". If it's a hodge podge of parts from many sources, it's your build or as you would call it"my build". It's important to have the distinction of "build" in the name to distinguish it from an actual factory build by whichever vendor. JMO....

Livefreeordie92
04-07-15, 09:59
I usually just refer to them by barrel length and gas system, but brand wise, if the rifle uses a factory complete upper I go with that.

Jwknutson17
04-07-15, 10:03
I typically use barrel length naming also. 11.5 SBR, etc. Gets tricky when you have multiple of the same set up. Then when talking about them, I would say my 11.5 SBR with M4s. Or my 11.5 with T1. Or 14.5 with scope.. I also use color often.. if you have a FDE, OD, or whatever. I refer straight to the color with friends that know about the rifle. I just say.. I took my FDE rifle to the class, and they know what I'm talking about. If you have one unique item on the rifle that sets it apart, I go for that.

I had the same trouble when posting a title for the custom build forum. I used LMT/KAC/BCM in my title for a LMT lower, KAC URX3.1 rail, and a BCM 11.5 barrel. I could have put in there VLTOR also for upper and RE, but I guess it gets to the point of how much garbage you want to put in your title. Like Noveske, because my QD plate is a Noveske.;)

davidjinks
04-07-15, 10:13
If it's a colt, I refer to it as an M4. If it's my SBR, I refer to it as a shorty. Seeing as I only own colts and SBRs it makes life easy.

The people I hang out with and shoot with know what I'm talking about.

I've never really put much time/thought into being specific about descriptive terms of my firearms. I've also noticed that when you refer to an AR as an AR it tends to open up debates as to the "Whys" and some such nonsense. One of the reasons I'm cautious about the company I keep.

sevenhelmet
04-07-15, 10:18
If it's a colt, I refer to it as an M4. If it's my SBR, I refer to it as a shorty. Seeing as I only own colts and SBRs it makes life easy.

The people I hang out with and shoot with know what I'm talking about.

I've never really put much time/thought into being specific about descriptive terms of my firearms. I've also noticed that when you refer to an AR as an AR it tends to open up debates as to the "Whys" and some such nonsense. One of the reasons I'm cautious about the company I keep.

This 100%. When I refer to them at all, I tend to just refer to my ARs as "rifles". But as you said, that's only around people who won't ask stupid questions.

AM-15
04-07-15, 10:49
I call mine a " 16 inch carbine length on an Anderson lower ".
Barrel length, gas system and lower because of roll mark and where the serial number is.

Clarence

Eurodriver
04-07-15, 11:06
I call my AR15s by anything that distinguishes them from another.

"Grab my 11.5" AR" or "This is my spray painted one" or "Shoot my 20" AR" or "This is my 300BLK rifle"

I don't use brand names, model numbers, or any of that stuff.

"Hey man, this is my new LMT Defender 2000" just sounds really dumb

MegademiC
04-07-15, 12:02
"Custom build" for me.

If I rebarreled a colt with a noveske bbl, I would call it a colt w/noveske bbl. Mine was bought one piece at a time over 3 years from 5 different manufactures, and that's just the upper.

nova3930
04-07-15, 12:20
"Custom build" for me.

Yep. If they want to talk deeper I will but if not that's all I say...

PatrioticDisorder
04-07-15, 13:10
I just finished 2 "custom" builds, 14.5 KAC Dimpled upper & 11.5 KAC dimpled upper, both sitting on AX556 lowers with their talon safety & both uppers hVe the AXTS raptor charging handle. Considering how many AXTS parts are in the build you can make the case the rifle is an AXTS (and considering how unique their lower is, it is a strong case) or a KAC. BATFE considers them AXTS, except since I SBR'd them maybe the trust is the manufacturer? I feel he most prominent feature of the rifles are the KAC uppers with E3 bolt, but it lacks the gorgeous KAC rollmark on the lowers. I also have magpul furniture (K2+ & MOE SL stock), Geissele triggers, a few Colt LPK parts, Surefire muzzle brakes (for SOCOM RC & mini), BAD ETP, LWRC ambi QD plate, VLTOR A5 w/ H3 buffer and green sprinco spring.

I have no problem calling my builds "franken" builds or "mutts" as it truly is a patchwork of components and zero components I "skimped" on... I think the simplest solution is to call it what the barrel length & gas system are and maybe the brand of barrel because that is really the heart of the build. So for me, "14.5 intermediate KAC & 11.5 carbine KAC", but even that can be confusing considering KAC names their 14.5 upper/rifle the "carbine" and the 11.5 CQB.

mjb2
04-07-15, 13:16
Mixmaster. Mine are all Mixmasters...

Renegade04
04-07-15, 13:48
Typically, when I build an AR of some sort, I will call it by whatever category it fits in (M4 type, RECCE, Mid-length, Dissipator, A1 rifle, A2 rifle, A3 rifle, A4 rifle, etc.). My retro builds are referred to as "clones" of a certain model. If it consist of the same manufacturer's upper, lower, barrel, BCG, and associated small parts, I will refer to that brand name, but specify it is a build. Most of mine are "FrankenARs", but all are built with good quality parts. On my more serious builds, I actually create a specification sheet and save it on file. Many guys get lost in the nomenclature of the particular ARs and use a generic name, like M4, to cover a very general description. Most often, it, in fact, is not an M4 build, but some sort of derivative of a flat-top carbine. Case in point, look at the Mk12, Mk18, and M4 family of M16s. Depending on which specific variation you are building and what parts you are using, it may or may not be a true variation. It may just be Mk12-ish, Mk18-ish, or M4-ish. A lot of builds are in a gray area and have no real designation. That is like mixing various components of an A1 and A2 rifle and building something that looks "retro" to the untrained eye, when, in fact, it is just a hodge-podge of parts that fits in no particular category.

MistWolf
04-07-15, 13:59
Any of mine are simply an AR. Among them is The Big Smith, The Precision, The Wife's Carbine and The Wolf Pup. The only one originally built at the factory is the M&P-10 but it's been disassembled and modified

StingerDan
04-07-15, 14:09
I have 2 kinds of AR's: all Noveske built, or custom build.

ScatmanCrothers
04-07-15, 15:38
usually just go with a description like SBR, 16" SS, 20" A2, etc. Anything without a unique identifier is just referred to as a rifle with _____ optic/sights on it.

Coming from a family of manufacturer name and model number junkies I tend to not care so much about detailed descriptions.