PDA

View Full Version : Griffin Failsafe Offset BUIS

GO_ALLOUT
04-06-15, 12:48
Looking at various offset iron sights and came across the Griffin Gail Safe Sites listed on SKD Tactical...

Anyone have any experience or feedback on these?

VIP3R 237
04-06-15, 13:01
I have a LH set Ive been using for a few months and I really like them. They are solid and look pretty good.

GO_ALLOUT
04-06-15, 13:36
Any pics?

Also, how do you like their rear aperture?

VIP3R 237
04-06-15, 14:45
Any pics?

Also, how do you like their rear aperture?

Here's a quick picture I took on lunch. I like it, for my eyes its a good size.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8806/16870194018_48aee86751_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rGL9W7)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/rGL9W7)

sevenhelmet
04-06-15, 15:25
I've been considering a set of something like this for my SPR. What are your thoughts on:

1.) Left vs. Right offset?
2.) Weight vs. regular BUIS?
3.) How "catchy" they are on other gear- I'm chiefly concerned about this, which is what's kept me from looking further into it.

Thanks!

GH41
04-06-15, 15:28
I really wanted to like the fixed offsets but being fixed was a disadvantage to me. With my light offset on the left side and sights on the right the rifle was suddenly 4 inches wide. I went with the Troy folding sights and have been happy with them.

sevenhelmet
04-06-15, 15:29
I really wanted to like the fixed offsets but being fixed was a disadvantage to me. With my light offset on the left side and sights on the right the rifle was suddenly 4 inches wide. I went with the Troy folding sights and have been happy with them.

Traditional troy BUIS, or are they offset? I have a set of the Troy folding HK-style back-up irons and love them. Maybe this is a solution looking for a problem and I should leave well enough alone.

GO_ALLOUT
04-06-15, 15:30
For me...right handed so right side. I'm assuming VIP3R is a lefty...

Shouldn't be "catchy" as they'll be on the off side or far side, away from gear.

Weight - not a major concern for me...more concerned with durability and speed.

GO_ALLOUT
04-06-15, 15:35
I see your point about the added width...never really thought about that and I too run my lights on the left side...hmmm

VIP3R 237
04-06-15, 16:19
To me the debate between Fixed or Folding offsets depends on what your rifle is set up for.

I prefer fixed as they are always ready to go, and my rifles with them are set up more for 3-gun and predator hunting where that extra second or so to deploy them could be the difference between win or lose (not that I'm good enough to worry about winning ;) ) or missing the coyote.

Now if the rifle was setup more for a battle/class gun where they are strictly backups I would prefer the folding style like the MBUS Pro's which IMO outclass the Troys all around.

Snag factor isnt as great as I thought they would be, on a skinny KMR they look like they stick out a mile but in reality a light or optic stick out as much if not more.

GH41
04-06-15, 17:53
Traditional troy BUIS, or are they offset? I have a set of the Troy folding HK-style back-up irons and love them. Maybe this is a solution looking for a problem and I should leave well enough alone.

Offsets

GH41
04-06-15, 17:56
To me the debate between Fixed or Folding offsets depends on what your rifle is set up for.

I prefer fixed as they are always ready to go, and my rifles with them are set up more for 3-gun and predator hunting where that extra second or so to deploy them could be the difference between win or lose (not that I'm good enough to worry about winning ;) ) or missing the coyote.

Now if the rifle was setup more for a battle/class gun where they are strictly backups I would prefer the folding style like the MBUS Pro's which IMO outclass the Troys all around.

Snag factor isnt as great as I thought they would be, on a skinny KMR they look like they stick out a mile but in reality a light or optic stick out as much if not more.

How do the MagPuls outclass the Troys? Weight or their ability to fold themselves down at the wrong time?

GH41
04-06-15, 17:59
For me...right handed so right side. I'm assuming VIP3R is a lefty...

Shouldn't be "catchy" as they'll be on the off side or far side, away from gear.

Weight - not a major concern for me...more concerned with durability and speed.

Granted they are away from you gear but closer to everything else. Just saying...

GO_ALLOUT
04-06-15, 18:17
Granted they are away from you gear but closer to everything else. Just saying...
True...but as they are solid and not folding they seem less likely to fail and as they are always ready, there is no time wasted having to flip them up.

They've all got pros/cons...guess it all depends on what you're after.

GH41
04-06-15, 19:11
Folding sights are always ready when deployed. Fixed cannot folded when the rifle is in the safe or case. Do you guys have cat brier in Ohio?

GO_ALLOUT
04-06-15, 19:23
Yes sir...and I understand your point but again they both have pros/cons.

GH41
04-06-15, 19:46
No problem. The world would be a boring place if we all like the same things for the same reason.

militarymoron
04-06-15, 20:46
I did a writeup here:
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.optics4.html#griffinfs

GO_ALLOUT
04-06-15, 21:16
I did a writeup here:
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.optics4.html#griffinfs
Great writeup...thank you!

I'm currently running an acog with factory mount and plan on mounting an rmr on top of it but both can fail or become occluded so I've been thinking of adding some BUIS.

As I don't use a quick release mount, offsets make perfect sense and I like the idea of them always being ready.

Especially as I'm planning on putting that acog on SBR and putting a vcog in its place but still, I'd l ok e to run the same BUIS on both...

Benito
04-07-15, 15:34

How do the MagPuls outclass the Troys? Weight or their ability to fold themselves down at the wrong time?

I second VIP3R's sentiments.
I have been slacking in my plans to do a brief video and write-up comparing the 2. In the interest of saving you the trouble of buying the Troy, see the following.
The Magpul MBUS Pro Offset sights are far, far better than the Troys.
They are slimmer, a bit cheaper, and will actually give you some room for an ambi charging handle.

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss343/pimpdawgin3/IMG_2949_zpsvw8saj92.jpg
http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss343/pimpdawgin3/IMG_2953v2_zpsxxsj5gjs.jpg

As for these Griffin Failsafe sights, they would be a no-go for me, just due to them sticking out so far. Aside from likely snagging on something in my safe, they would fit very poorly in my carry case.

GO_ALLOUT
04-08-15, 14:25
I like both...but I think I'm partial to the Griffin Fail Safe as they are a fixed style vs. folding...

Benito
04-08-15, 22:15
I like both...but I think I'm partial to the Griffin Fail Safe as they are a fixed style vs. folding...

While the Magpul MBUS Pros don't "lock" in the up position, there is a detent there that is very positive. They aren't going to fold down randomly.
Going by the pic of the Griffin offsets, I would not be able to live with them sticking out like that all the time.