PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul to announce presidential bid at press conference.

Ick
04-07-15, 11:24
Just announced on website. 1130am press conference in Louisville, Ky.

Ick
04-07-15, 12:03
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2015/04/07/rand-paul-president-2016-announcement/25041783/

Transcript:
http://time.com/3773964/rand-paul-presidential-campaign-launch-speech-transcript/

Congress will never balance the budget unless you force them to do so.
Our only recourse is to force Congress to balance the budget with a Constitutional Amendment!

I ran for office because we have too many career politicians.
We limit the President to two terms. It’s about time we limit the terms of Congress!

In my vision for America, freedom and prosperity at home can only be achieved if we defend against enemies who are dead-set on attacking America.
The enemy is radical Islam and not only will I name the enemy, I will do what ever it takes to defend America from these haters of mankind

austinN4
04-07-15, 12:14
I listened the whole thing and liked what I heard.

WillBrink
04-07-15, 12:21
Good on him. At the very least, he throws some fire on the issues. Will he pander to the religious right as the prior GOP candidates did by picking train wrecks for running mates in an attempt to capture the "evangelical vote" or will he be his own man? I suspect the former, but very much hope I'm wrong. Many don't agree with me that the running mate picked by the last GOP candidates was a large factor to their losses, but that's how I viewed it. Maybe they would have lost by a fewer number of votes, I don't know, but I do know for myself and many others, it mattered. It was business as usual and it made me lose even the minimal interest I had an prior GOP candidates.

If Rand can keep a similar message his father had, but do it as a GOP candidate, that of a person with strong Libertarian focus (what I'd call an "old school Republican that's fiscally "conservative" and socially "liberal") and he does not pick a running mate obviously intended to simply pander to one group, he'll have my vote and I suspect many others.

austinN4
04-07-15, 12:39
Many don't agree with me that the running mate picked by the last GOP candidates was a large factor to their losses, but that's how I viewed it.
You can count me as one that agrees.

nova3930
04-07-15, 13:41
If Rand can keep a similar message his father had, but do it as a GOP candidate, that of a person with strong Libertarian focus (what I'd call an "old school Republican that's fiscally "conservative" and socially "liberal") and he does not pick a running mate obviously intended to simply pander to one group, he'll have my vote and I suspect many others.

Pragmatic, politically viable libertarian I call it. As much as I'd like to see us return to a minimalist state, I'm smart enough to know that's just not politically viable at the moment...

jc000
04-07-15, 14:16
Rand Paul has made some very disappointing moves (IMO) but I am more enthusiastic about his candidacy than any other candidates in my shortish voting lifetime. I think he is intelligent, inclusive, and focused on true conservative solutions to our modern problems. Looking forward to his efforts towards the nomination.

brickboy240
04-07-15, 14:27
At least he did not announce at Jerry Falwell's church/school.

I like what I heard and I wish that some day we can thwart the RNC establishment and our twisted primary cycle and actually nominate someone like him.

No more dynasties...no more endless nation building projects...no more spying on people.

KalashniKEV
04-07-15, 15:33
Rand Paul has made some very disappointing moves (IMO) but I am more enthusiastic about his candidacy than any other candidates...

That's pretty much where I am.

The RNC will not allow him to win the nomination, and will cut the mic like they did for his father in '08.

When they do, I hope he has the balls to run independently, split the ticket, and tear the GOP in half.

Then I hope he improves his foreign policy stance and comes back strong in 2020.

ABNAK
04-07-15, 15:36
He's waffled on illegal immigration, and his "inclusiveness" has meant pandering to demographics that aren't going to vote Republican en masse (i.e. Hispanics and blacks). That is not being pragmatic. He also has a bit of his looney tunes old man in him and it gives me pause as I would have NEVER voted for Ron Paul. Rand is more libertarian than conservative IMHO.

All that said I'd vote for him but he certainly isn't my first choice (Cruz is, all baggage included). Just don't give me Christie, Bush, or Rubio and we can reluctantly agree on a candidate.

WillBrink
04-07-15, 15:59
He's waffled on illegal immigration, and his "inclusiveness" has meant pandering to demographics that aren't going to vote Republican en masse (i.e. Hispanics and blacks). That is not being pragmatic. He also has a bit of his looney tunes old man in him and it gives me pause as I would have NEVER voted for Ron Paul. Rand is more libertarian than conservative IMHO.

All that said I'd vote for him but he certainly isn't my first choice (Cruz is, all baggage included). Just don't give me Christie, Bush, or Rubio and we can reluctantly agree on a candidate.

A Paul/Cruz ticket could be very interesting. Unless they really fu%eed it up, they'd have my vote.

KalashniKEV
04-07-15, 16:16
A Paul/Cruz ticket could be very interesting. Unless they really fu%eed it up, they'd have my vote.

That would be pretty funny...

They could rule like Ahmadinejad and Khamenei.

GunBugBit
04-07-15, 16:28
I'd vote Paul/Cruz over any other ticket I can see possible on the horizon. I'd like it even better if they weren't both politicians.:D

SteyrAUG
04-07-15, 17:38
He's my dream candidate. As a result he doesn't have a chance.

Unlike everyone else, he actually states his opinion on the issues and says what he intends to do to try and fix it. That allows everyone else to torpedo his ideas and criticize without taking a position or offering a solution of their own. All you will get out of the rest is "Clearly it's a problem that must be addressed and we will explore the possible solutions....etc."

RancidSumo
04-07-15, 17:40
I doubt I'll vote but if I do, Paul is the only one I'll consider.

Koshinn
04-07-15, 18:55

Unlike everyone else, he actually states his opinion on the issues and says what he intends to do to try and fix it. That allows everyone else to torpedo his ideas and criticize without taking a position or offering a solution of their own. All you will get out of the rest is "Clearly it's a problem that must be addressed and we will explore the possible solutions....etc."

Pretty much what I was about to write. Thanks :)

ABNAK
04-07-15, 19:48
That would be pretty funny...

They could rule like Ahmadinejad and Khamenei.

You seem to have issues with the most popular GOP conservatives. Exactly who would you like to see?

KalashniKEV
04-07-15, 21:00
You seem to have issues with the most popular GOP conservatives. Exactly who would you like to see?

Paul most closely aligns with my beliefs, but he needs to improve some of his positions... and I don't like the way he presents himself... plus signing the Iran letter made him look stupid.

Maybe with a good VP they could make a strong ticket together... I don't know who that is. No one on the current GOP roster is credible on the national level.

I guess I'm just really disappointed that they haven't developed anyone who can run and win the presidency... but look at who they've been running. It's like the Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals.

ABNAK
04-07-15, 21:35
Paul most closely aligns with my beliefs, but he needs to improve some of his positions... and I don't like the way he presents himself... plus signing the Iran letter made him look stupid.

Maybe with a good VP they could make a strong ticket together... I don't know who that is. No one on the current GOP roster is credible on the national level.

I guess I'm just really disappointed that they haven't developed anyone who can run and win the presidency... but look at who they've been running. It's like the Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals.

My hunch, and I want to know more about him, is it's gonna be Walker. From what I've read so far he might be a good "compromise" candidate without compromising too much, i.e. reverting back to a RINO for the third straight election. He might draw enough support from all around the party to make 2016 a helluva battle for Cuntlery.

hatidua
04-07-15, 22:12

that.

Hank6046
04-07-15, 22:56
Rand Paul has made some very disappointing moves (IMO) but I am more enthusiastic about his candidacy than any other candidates in my shortish voting lifetime. I think he is intelligent, inclusive, and focused on true conservative solutions to our modern problems. Looking forward to his efforts towards the nomination.

I second this with KalashniKEV. I think he might utilize reason with certain things, this Reasoning would be good for Washington. I don't agree with everything but I think that he can throw some logic behind a decision or two.

BBossman
04-08-15, 05:42
The problem for any candidate with strong libertarian values is convincing folks to vote for you without offering more free shit or promising to restrict the rights of people you don't agree with.

We have generations that have suckled at the teat and will never be weaned combined with folks that want revenge against those that they see as inferior.

It's easier for the weak minded to accept government rules and regulation to "guide" their lives than accept the hard choices that liberty would present.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

jpmuscle
04-08-15, 06:23
Which is why the overwhelming message should be everyone should leave everyone else alone in the name of liberty to pursue happiness in a manner of their choosing.

Shao
04-08-15, 06:39

+1

I hate +1 replies, but seriously: I would be a happy man. My brother seems to think (not want) that Hillary's gonna take it - I say - NO CHANCE IN HELL.

brickboy240
04-08-15, 10:01
If Paul can beat down the RNC establishment and actually get the nomination...I think he could beat Hillary.

This would take a near miracle and him being savvy enough to not fall for the media's "gotcha game" crap like Palin surely did.

Of all the candidates, Paul is the one that could cause more "crossover" votes and energize the younger people into leaving the Democrats.

Abraham
04-08-15, 10:02
The very substantive question about Paul I want to ask is: Do you wear a toupee?

C'mon man, that scrambled egg 'do' can't be real...or is it a small mammal pet you just can't be parted?

KalashniKEV
04-08-15, 12:44
The very substantive question about Paul I want to ask is: Do you wear a toupee?

C'mon man, that scrambled egg 'do' can't be real...or is it a small mammal pet you just can't be parted?

I would definitely vote for Rand Paul if he shaved his head.

He wouldn't have to do anything else.

BBossman
04-08-15, 13:09
He certainly has the potential to attract the younger "Democrat" crowd, but also pull a majority of actual Libertarians as well. The only down side is if he loses, who will the RNC ball washers blame if not the libertarians?

If Paul can beat down the RNC establishment and actually get the nomination...I think he could beat Hillary.

This would take a near miracle and him being savvy enough to not fall for the media's "gotcha game" crap like Palin surely did.

Of all the candidates, Paul is the one that could cause more "crossover" votes and energize the younger people into leaving the Democrats.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

KTR03
04-08-15, 15:05
I agree with the above. I'm a middle of the road independent voter. My right wing friends think I'm a hippy, and my left wing friends think I'm some heavily armed political odd ball. I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal. There are a shit pile of people like me out there. We don't misunderstand the modern GOP. We just don't like the social stances of the modern GOP. Shit Reagan wouldn't get the nomination in the modern GOP. Thus far, Paul is the most interesting candidate for me. The other freshman (Rubio and Cruz) are of no interest to me.

Here is what really scares me... The conservatives keep focusing on their base, their core, and decry RINO's and anyone who strays from the political orthodoxy. Guys we don't live in a democracy. We live in a republic. Winning 80 percent of the vote in red state, doesn't give you any more votes than winning 50.01. The POPULAR VOTE DOESN"T COUNT beyond the 50% threshold. We are not going to win by turning out a higher number of conservatives in states that already vote conservative. The election is going to be won in purple states. It is going to be won in Wisconsin, Virginia, Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Nevada... It is going to be won in the moderate middle not on the left or the right. Looking at the electoral map, the GOP has to win states that Obama carried. Kasich maybe, Walker maybe. But Cruz? Seriously? May as well start planning for President Clinton Part 2.

I think Paul is going to run, get exposure, get smoked, and come back stronger in 2020/2024. That is my hope anyway.

brickboy240
04-08-15, 15:13
The RNC ball washers COULD blame the libertarians/Tea Party types however it was that same group that gave them landslide wins in 2010 and 2014 mid terms.

The RNC has no ball to wash...they served us up McCain and Romney...we deserve to at least TRY a libertarian type...could he do any worse than what happened in 2012?

TacMedic556
04-08-15, 15:38
I STAND WITH RAND.

Airhasz
04-08-15, 16:33
These people say whatever they want you to hear, their all full of shit.

Caeser25
04-08-15, 16:39
I agree with the above. I'm a middle of the road independent voter. My right wing friends think I'm a hippy, and my left wing friends think I'm some heavily armed political odd ball. I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal. There are a shit pile of people like me out there. We don't misunderstand the modern GOP. We just don't like the social stances of the modern GOP. Shit Reagan wouldn't get the nomination in the modern GOP. Thus far, Paul is the most interesting candidate for me. The other freshman (Rubio and Cruz) are of no interest to me.

Here is what really scares me... The conservatives keep focusing on their base, their core, and decry RINO's and anyone who strays from the political orthodoxy. Guys we don't live in a democracy. We live in a republic. Winning 80 percent of the vote in red state, doesn't give you any more votes than winning 50.01. The POPULAR VOTE DOESN"T COUNT beyond the 50% threshold. We are not going to win by turning out a higher number of conservatives in states that already vote conservative. The election is going to be won in purple states. It is going to be won in Wisconsin, Virginia, Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Nevada... It is going to be won in the moderate middle not on the left or the right. Looking at the electoral map, the GOP has to win states that Obama carried. Kasich maybe, Walker maybe. But Cruz? Seriously? May as well start planning for President Clinton Part 2.

I think Paul is going to run, get exposure, get smoked, and come back stronger in 2020/2024. That is my hope anyway.

I agree. My concern is can he beat the media and the gop machine that wants to run big government statists and lose.