PDA

View Full Version : New Armalite AR10 tactical

JWR075
04-08-15, 08:13
I have been thinking about getting an AR10. I was wondering if the new Armalites are good to go. I know their AR15s are lacking but not sure about the new Pmag AR10s. I can get this rifle well below MSRP but if the quality is not there then I will skip. The model I am looking at is the new AR10 tactical (http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=AR10TAC16&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=4c2a2c00-47e0-4ac2-a1d5-57537c8ffe90).

hotrodder636
04-08-15, 10:38
If you haven't looked at them, i would look throughout the various AR-10 or .308 AR threads in this sub forum. My here is a great deal of info on several manufacturers and a lot of proponents of building your own with some research and a good parts list. Building is the route I took and I am happy...only way I would have been happier is getting a KAC or an LMT but that is a whole different stratosphere of $$.

Benito
04-08-15, 22:12
I am interested in these as well.
I actually picked up a 16" lightweight profile chrome-lined AR-10A (PMag compatible) late last year, as it was on sale for a decent price.
Mine came with the plastic handguards, which I promptly swapped for a Midwest Industries Keymod handguard.
This "Tactical" line comes with a decent-looking Keymod handguard from the factory. The 16" chrome-lined unit in the OP's link looks to be the same as the one I have, apart from the handguard.
I am sort of interested in an 18" stainless steel barreled AR-10A, with a tighter 1:10 twist for more precision-oriented shooting, like this one here:
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=AR10TAC18&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=4c2a2c00-47e0-4ac2-a1d5-57537c8ffe90
The only possible issue I see is that according to the pic, the barrel profile seems pretty slim for a stainless barrel. It is possible that the pic is not representative of the actual gun.
Armalite also offer a similar 18" stainless barreled AR-10A in their "Versatile Sporting Rifle" model.
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=AR10VSR&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=5db02032-2d94-456b-a8ed-d4dd314427ac
This one has a weird stock and handguard that aren't my cup of tea.

I am happy with my AR-10A so far, although i only have 150 rounds through it, so it is too early to tell how it will hold up long term.

If anyone has experience/feedback on these new Armalite AR-10A, I am also interested to hear it.

My only issues with large frame AR builds is that there is no industry-wide "standard" like with AR-15s.

Before anyone says it, yes I know that even in AR-15s there are non-standard parts, like KAC barrel extensions/bolts, piston designs, quick change barrel designs, etc., etc.

G.B.
04-09-15, 05:29
It looks like the 16" barrel is chromoly, the 18" is stainless. Neither listing said lightweight. They look like a good package for the money.

Bushytale
04-09-15, 06:12
Armalite uses 6061 receiver extensions and 8620 bolts on the AR-10. They made a bolt modification a while back, because of bolt failures, but still use 8620 steel. Go figure!

G.B.
04-09-15, 08:11
The original stoner design for the ar10 used 8620 on the bcg

Benito
04-09-15, 19:55
Armalite uses 6061 receiver extensions and 8620 bolts on the AR-10. They made a bolt modification a while back, because of bolt failures, but still use 8620 steel. Go figure!

I did not know this about the receiver extension. Are there any documented problems/issues with using 6061 for the receiver extension?
I do know about the bolt steel, but have not heard about bolt failures due to this. I am interested to read or hear about these, at what round count, etc.

JPB
04-09-15, 21:30
I did not know this about the receiver extension. Are there any documented problems/issues with using 6061 for the receiver extension?
I do know about the bolt steel, but have not heard about bolt failures due to this. I am interested to read or hear about these, at what round count, etc.

I don't think that there were ever any bolt failures. It's always been sort of an "Armalite design thing" to relieve the bolt lug directly opposite the extractor in the interest of creating a symmetric loading on the remaining lugs. Not sure that there is any evidence of a real problem associated with this solution.

The Armalite receiver extensions that I have don't show any delitarious effects attributable to being fabbed out of 6061 (if they are indeed). Should one surface, they're an easy part to replace.

I have had several AR10B type guns (Noveske and Armalite) and have had nothing but good experiences.

Benito
04-10-15, 13:38
Good to know.
I am currently looking at a .308 AR in a stainless 16" or 18" barrel. The Armalite AR-10A is an option, but Aero's M5E1 is also interesting. I am hoping to hear more feedback on reliability, accuracy, etc.