PDA

View Full Version : After the LAV fat post, it is interesting with aging how

ramairthree
04-08-15, 15:57
some people are that same size they were thirty years ago in HS, and some look nothing like it.

For example, Nicole Kidmann or the Rachel chick from friends seem to be aging without getting thick. Sure, some is working out and dieting, but that is just keeping fat off the frame. Others, say Princess Leia or Body Heat Turner thicken out the frame and get quite matronly.

I remember a guy whose dad was SF in Vietnam, and looking at his old pictures could not believe it was the same guy. Then I am cleaning out stuff getting ready to move, and somehow a pair of size 30 UDT shorts is still in a box of stuff. No way I must look like that guy anymore.

Anyways, we all know diet and exercise issues can lead to extra pounds.
Also, some people will gain weight on 2500 calories a day and others will lose it at baseline metabolism.

But how it is that peoples frames and faces get thicker while some others don't is a whole different story.
Another example, Kirk vs. Spock. Kirk is hardly recognizable any more, while Spock was very recognizable till the day he died.

Airhasz
04-08-15, 16:27
I can and sometimes do wear some of the same jeans still in my closet that I sported the mid eighties, it's just the luck of the draw IMHO. It's the two hip surgeries, achillies tendonitis, arthritis in neck and other accociated chronic pain problems that ended my career and have taken their toll on my ability to keep up with guys like LAV. Looks are not everything but thank goodness I still have some left...lol

Talon167
04-08-15, 16:32
Yea, it's called genetics.

And those millionaires who's lives depend on their image (Jennifer Aniston for example), have personal trainers, chefs, and dietitians. That helps, too, of course.

scooter22
04-08-15, 17:18

And those millionaires who's lives depend on their image (Jennifer Aniston for example), have personal trainers, chefs, and dietitians. That helps, too, of course.

Bingo.

If we all had the time, energy and money, we'd all look like models.

SteyrAUG
04-08-15, 18:06

There it is.

If I didn't have to work and could teach three classes a night, I'd probably still be in great shape.

Frailer
04-08-15, 18:16
Genetics certainly plays a major role, but *most* people who are fat get that way by taking in more calories than they need.

IMHO "lack of time" is an excuse. You can do a lot in 15 minutes a day.

WickedWillis
04-08-15, 18:50
I'm only 27 and I am much worse off then when I was playing every sport on the table in high school. I have no excuses, other people are busier than I and still find time to work out hard. All my friends who eat whatever they want and never gain weight AND don't work out can go to hell, freaking metabolisms.

VIP3R 237
04-08-15, 18:56
I've found that as I've gotten older that my diet and nutrition has become more important than my gym schedule. And let's face it, eating healthy is expensive, especially when you have more mouths to feed as your family grows.

austinN4
04-08-15, 18:57
............, but *most* people who are fat get that way by taking in more calories than they need.
This pretty well nails it, IMO. I won't go into details on the Internet, but I had a life changing event 3 years ago that taught me how to eat right. With the right diet, I got totally off meds and have blood test results like a super fit teenager. I am really tired of hearing the "genetics" excuse for stupid diets.

I should add that just because someone appears fit on the outside doesn't mean they are on the inside. It is not unheard of for "super fit" athletes to drop dead from clogged arteries. They don't call the LAD the "widow maker" for nothing.

Bowser
04-08-15, 19:19
Yeah, sure, I guess.

But what about these guys...

Pat Mac
JD Potinsky
Tom Spooner
Kyle Lamb
Mike Pannone
Paul Howe

austinN4
04-08-15, 19:28
And let's face it, eating healthy is expensive, especially when you have more mouths to feed as your family grows.
How can eating healthy be more expensive than the medical problems and shortened life that eating unhealthy causes? Not being smart, just curious.

ramairthree
04-08-15, 19:36
I am not talking just about the fat of getting out of shape, and the size gain from that.

I assure you some of the guys named above, even if still lean and in shape, are not the size they were when they enlisted.

I am talking about how some people get thicker and more heavily framed.

Honu
04-08-15, 19:43
I do think my issue being in my 50s and getting a bit of a gut I have to loose is the lack of activity and that is the biggest thing over diet IMHO is most of us I am sure do not get enough activity and some of us who were in super high activity jobs from framing homes to teaching sports or being a active soldier etc..

once that life stops its hard to change the intake and if injuries come into play its then hard to get the workouts in so you get it from both sides kinda thing

agree some folks look like they were when younger some you think who the heck is that :) and not being fat as mentioned just thickening out as you say :) its strange for sure

austinN4
04-08-15, 19:53
once that life stops its hard to change the intake and if injuries come into play its then hard to get the workouts in so you get it from both

If you can't get the workouts then you HAVE to change the intake! Why is that so had for people to understand? And just because the workouts burn the calories doesn't mean you are necessarily eating healthy.

MountainRaven
04-08-15, 19:54
How can eating healthy be more expensive than the medical problems and shortened life that eating unhealthy causes? Not being smart, just curious.

Yes, eating healthy is less expensive tomorrow. But it's more expensive today. And some people don't have the money to spend today. (Or they might be able to if they gave up their retirement fund (fiscal folly), lived close enough to work to walk or bike instead of drive (not everybody can) and therefore had no gas to pay for, or got a more fuel efficient vehicle (give up the old gas guzzler that's paid off to buy a more fuel efficient vehicle that you now have to make payments on), gave up shooting/reloading (who on this website would willingly do that?), or other equally unsavory options.)

If you can't get the workouts then you HAVE to change the intake! Why is that so had for people to understand? And just because the workouts burn the calories doesn't mean you are necessarily eating healthy.

My experience is that exercise without diet is ineffective and diet without exercise is ineffective. Only together do they make a difference for me.

cbx
04-08-15, 20:03
Obesity and being over weight is a choice, so is being fit.

Yeah genetics do have a factor. I'm bulking and lifting close to a point that took a guy I know 3 years to get. I did it in 3 months. He started at 165 lbs. I started at 250. He now weighs 210. I weigh 224 now, And have added a bunch of muscle weight. The guy that tested me and pinched fat said he thinks I've added 9 lbs muscle. Lost the difference in fat and whatever else.

I know an older gal that is a friend of family, she lost 45 lbs. Come to find out after working with a dietician, she can't eat bread and pasta and such. She's was borderline diabetic. Couldn't lose weight to save her life. Once she figured out what was wrong, boom. Gone crazy fast.

But, I eat well. 6 days a week. Diet is so important. Stop putting junk food in your mouth. Most of what is sold in grocery stores is junk. Most things that come out of a box are junk food. Wheaties and whole grain cereal aren't.

Eat alot of whole foods. Lots of lean meat. Lots of veggies. Lots of fruit. More whole grains, Less bad carbs. Which is hard to do considering pretty much almost all of the good in the american diet is nothing but carbs. Drink more water. Ditch the soda. Keep the beer in moderation.

Don't eat pizza and cheeseburgers 8 times with a case of whatever drink a week and think your fine if you are overweight.

Eating healthier does take effort. It requires cooking and meal prep. There just isn't any other way. Most of all it requires changing habits. If your a sedentary person, you challenge is much greater.

As far as Mr. Vickers is concerned, anyone who has a problem or issue with his image can eff off and die. Man is a patriot and a true warrior. World would be a better place if more men were like the LAV.

Bottom line, there is no magic. Eat better, get active, stay motivated. If you over weight and happy, rock on with your bad self and enjoy life. If your over weight and not satisfied the change lies in you. When the ladies check you out, and that hasn't happened in the last decade..... Hell yes that's a good feeling.

Honu
04-08-15, 20:06
its not hard to understand ? its just sometimes a reality its hard to do cause you get used to doing something for over 20 years ?

and some that change the intake still seem to still gain weight were some who do not never seem to gain ? I got a buddy who ate like a horse still does and is still a skinny guy
some other buds I know eat insane healthy and work out and still kinda look heavy but they are in good shape
for sure its a personal balance of what you can eat and how much you need to work out as said they go hand in hand :)

so understanding is not the issue I dont think and I do wonder if your body after doing something for 20+ years that is super active takes a dif slow down approach than someone who never had that life and only hit the gym a bit ? dont know :)

a good example of that got thicker as he got older is Greg Lemond

ramairthree
04-08-15, 20:18
OK.
The Vickers post was about fat. Decreased activity due to age, desire, injuries,
with increased calories,
and/or the slowing metabolism that means increase activity or decrease intake.

This post was supposed to be about how some guys keep their same little Tom Cruise frame, etc. vs. others that even when muscular and lean-just piain have bigger chests, wider hips, etc. than when they were younger and work out.

I see people back where I grew up. Some look the same. Some look like their parents did when we were kids. And at that time they did not look like their parents.

Some pretty swole, big bad ass bad guy killers were scrawny little dudes when they were younger. But it is almost like they went through puberty, were still little dudes,
but like went through puberty again later and got bigger (not taller).

austinN4
04-08-15, 20:29
and some that change the intake still seem to still gain weight..............?
They either didn't change the intake enough, or they are eating the wrong foods. Probably both in most cases.
And again, don't confuse thin with healthy. The unhealthy could still be on the inside if they aren't eating right - HBP, diabetes, clogged arteries, etc.

As cbx said "Eat a lot of whole foods. Lots of lean meat. Lots of veggies. Lots of fruit. More whole grains, Less bad carbs."
To his list I would add berries and unsalted nuts.

I would also add, the less processed the food you eat the better. Some of wouldn't believe the amount of added salt and sugar in processed foods. Learn to read labels and do not believe any claims on the front of the package, box or can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3JlxJHp2LQ
http://www.forksoverknives.com/the-film/

A real challenge is eating out. I have learned that most decent restaurants with modify your order to yours needs such as replace butter in recipe with olive oil. Fast food restaurants won't.

Honu
04-08-15, 20:37
not sure how old you are

take a pic of you in mid 20s then 30s then 40s then 50s and post those up here lets see if you keep that shape :)

They either didn't change the intake enough, or they are eating the wrong foods. Probably both in most cases.
And again, don't confuse thin with healthy. The unhealthy could still be on the inside if they aren't eating right - HBP, diabetes, clogged arteries, etc.

As cbx said "Eat a lot of whole foods. Lots of lean meat. Lots of veggies. Lots of fruit. More whole grains, Less bad carbs."
To his list I would add berries and unsalted nuts.

I would also add, the less processed the food you eat the better. Some of wouldn't believe the amount of added salt and sugar in processed foods. Learn to read labels:

A real challenge is eating out. I have learned that most decent restaurants with modify your order to yours needs such as replace butter in recipe with olive oil. Fast food restaurants won't.

HKGuns
04-08-15, 20:41
If you aren't 50, you have no business posting in this thread because you pretty much have no idea what you are talking about.

We'll see how all you youngsters do with your metabolism once you've breached 45 or so..(some earlier)... I noticed the increased accumulation of belly fat once I hit 40 and have to work to keep it off. Having a desk job and sitting on my @rse in meetings all day doesn't help.

I am very blessed to be the same, off season, weight I was as Captain of the Wrestling team. It has been increasingly difficult to maintain as I get older, but I am blessed with the genetics to support it as I've never, (knock on wood) had a weight problem.

I truly feel sorry for those who are also fighting the combination of genetics and the effects of aging.

austinN4
04-08-15, 20:51
If you aren't 50, you have no business posting in this thread because you pretty much have no idea what you are talking about.
Not sure if that is aimed at me or not, but I am way older than that.

Honu, to answer your question, I am the same weight now that I was when I graduated from high school and I have a 32" waist. A bit softer to be sure, but the same weight. This wasn't always the case until I experienced the "event" I posted earlier and learned how to eat right.

Frailer
04-08-15, 20:54

We'll see how all you youngsters do with your metabolism once you've breached 45 or so..(some earlier)... I noticed the increased accumulation of belly fat once I hit 40 and have to work to keep it off. Having a desk job and sitting on my @rse in meetings all day doesn't help.

I am very blessed to be the same, off season, weight I was as Captain of the Wrestling team. It has been increasingly difficult to maintain as I get older, but I am blessed with the genetics to support it as I've never, (knock on wood) had a weight problem.

I truly feel sorry for those who are also fighting the combination of genetics and the effects of aging.

This.

I'll turn 52 in a few months, and I *really* miss ice cream. I have two choices: eat like I used to, or look like I used to. I choose the latter.

When my students ask me why I still run, I give a one-word answer: "cheeseburgers."

austinN4
04-08-15, 20:55
I'll turn 52 in a few months, and I *really* miss ice cream. I have two choices: eat like I used to, or look like I used to. I choose the latter.
Smart man! Good on 'ya! I learned the hard way with a serious health issue, but at least I learned and was able to get everything under control.

HKGuns
04-08-15, 20:57
Not sure if that is aimed at me or not, but I am way older than that.

Honu, to answer your question, I am the same weight now that I was when I graduated from high school and I have a 32" waist. A bit softer to be sure, but the same weight. This wasn't always the case until I experienced the "event" I posted earlier and learned how to eat right.

Wasn't calling anyone out. Just making a statement of fact.

samuse
04-08-15, 21:30
People are missing the topic.

OP asked why some people stay small framed, and why some just get bigger and bigger.

I've wondered the same thing for a long time. Some men just seem to grow skeletal mass almost all their lives. I notice it a lot on guys in their 50s and 60s who have huge arms and wrists, just big dudes in general. Look at the same guys 20-30 years ago and they were just normal size.

I'm 34 and still pretty much the same scrawny size I was at 21.

MorphCross
04-08-15, 22:33

OP asked why some people stay small framed, and why some just get bigger and bigger.

I've wondered the same thing for a long time. Some men just seem to grow skeletal mass almost all their lives. I notice it a lot on guys in their 50s and 60s who have huge arms and wrists, just big dudes in general. Look at the same guys 20-30 years ago and they were just normal size.

That would be a question that requires specialized knowledge to answer. I'm just spit-balling here but Skeletal Remodeling would be my guess as your bones like every other part of your body are undergoing some type of change. For example if you gain weight your bone cells respond in their constant remodeling process by building up to handle the load.

Turnkey11
04-08-15, 22:33
Some say 30 is the magic number, all I developed by that time was skin cancer. I still fit the BDUs I was issued 16 years ago when I was 18.

Turnkey11
04-08-15, 22:35

I'll be happy enough if I get there.

T2C
04-08-15, 23:12

I am well past 50, so I'll comment.

There are two important rules for living a long life, keep moving and keep breathing. Sometimes it is difficult to follow both rules when you are dealing with injuries incurred at a much younger age.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-08-15, 23:17
1. I'm glad we have some geezers I here, I was starting to think that everyone was in their 20s.

2. I think I'm as many kilos as I was pounds in HS.

3. Fitting into you wedding tux is easier when you get married later.

4. I knew it was time to hit the gym when random people would call me 'Big Guy'. Still lots to go.

SteyrAUG
04-09-15, 00:21
IMHO "lack of time" is an excuse. You can do a lot in 15 minutes a day.

I can probably find 15 minutes every day. The problem is finding 15 minutes and having the energy left to do anything.

I train twice a week for a couple hours but it really takes it out of me and I'm pretty useless the next day.

Moose-Knuckle
04-09-15, 02:39

I'm 35 and friends that I haven't seen in years all say "OMG you look just the same, haven't changed a bit". I have school buddies that are bald, big guts, etc. I'm to the point where I have to eat right and cut out the sugar/bad fat/ etc. as my metabolism is slowing down.

But you are correct, some guys (gym rats) get super huge in their 40's-50's that they never could get in their 20's-30's. I guess some men never stop growing muscle wise until 60's. And I'm not talking about steroids.

C-grunt
04-09-15, 05:02
Different body types I guess. I didnt stop growing until my mid to late 20s.

My father is a pretty thin guy. He is 6 foot and about 160. When I graduated Basic Training at 19 I was 6 foot and 190 pounds (and looked scrawny as hell). We wore the same size pants (32) then. When I graduated the police academy at age 23 I was 6 foot 1 inch and 205 pounds still in a size 32 pants. At age 28ish I started measuring at 6 foot 2 inches. Im now 31 and a size 38 pants, Ive never had a good metabolism and a serious soda addiction doesnt help. I cut out soda and am eating better and slowly losing weight. Ive been lifting heavily for a few years now and Id bet if I get down to a size 32 waist again Ill be at 220 pounds.

BuzzinSATX
04-09-15, 06:12
I saw the big 5-0 come and go a while back, and while I'm not yet 6-0, I received this book for Christmas and it's really made me rethink how I'm living:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/076114773X/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=47693276316&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15500837891443575577&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_20e96qjq41_b

Nothing magic in the pages...the book is written by an old but in great shape guy and a doctor. But just the way it's written, it's gotten me acting different and moving towards a new way of living that's doable for a guy like me. Just a great book and might be interesting to some y'all over 50 folk...

Watrdawg
04-09-15, 07:11
I'm 51 now and still hit the gym 3-4 days a week and on the weekends I'm constantly doing something physical. I'm only 5'5' but I'm also 175lbs. Thankfully I'm in pretty good shape. I have a 30" waist and can still wear the same pants as I did when I got out of the Army in 89. I don't eat junk food, rarely have a soda and definitely stay away from fast food. As others have said to do, I eat lots of fresh vegetables, lean meat, whole grains etc. Caloric intake compared to what you burn off is a big factor in maintaining a healthy weight. However, its not just that. It's also the type of calories you take in. I've got to admit though my big big weakness is ice cream. I love good ice cream and still eat it fairly often. On top of doing all that I do this past Thanksgiving I ended up in the hospital having stints put into arteries around my heart to open up 3, 95% blockages. No family history, I don't have high blood pressure or high cholesterol. I don't smoke and rarely drink. I could have walked out the front door and keeled over dead any time. Who would've thought! So for all of you at 50 or older, regardless of the shape you are in, make sure you get that physical and make it a very exhaustive complete one also!!

Frailer
04-09-15, 12:12
I can probably find 15 minutes every day. The problem is finding 15 minutes and having the energy left to do anything.

I train twice a week for a couple hours but it really takes it out of me and I'm pretty useless the next day.

Sounds like this isn't working for you.

If that's the case, it's time to try something new.

04-09-15, 12:54
I'm late 30's, 6'0", and generally stay around 170ish. I believe genetics play a large part as does lifestyle and count calories, protein, and carbs. Most people think I weigh in the 190's.

I have recently been very strict with calories, carbs, and protein and also have upped my lifting and running. I was already in excellent shape but now it's full on six pack, striations, vascularity, etc. like I've never had before. I realize diet and exercise most definitely played a roll, but at my age to easily make the change....has to mean my genetics are favorable for this.

For me, mental state(mental prep), sleep, and proper nutrition are just as important as cardio and lifting. However, these seem to be the areas that will eventually sabotage a productive workout regime since many seem to not give them much thought. I cannot overemphasize the importance of sleep. This has meant going to bed at 8 or 9 some nights as well as fitting in naps whenever we can. We have two very young children and my wife is one of the busiest OB/GYN Surgeons in the country. This means getting proper sleep is very difficult but has been made into a top priority. It has made a HUGE difference in many, many ways.

My answer to many people that have issues with weight/fitness has been to start with making sleep a priority. Then worry about the other things. Good sleep will make one feel so much better, mentally alert, positive, and energetic. This translates into being better able to exercise and stay focused on changing eating habits. It all begins with sleep. I contend the increasing percentages of overweight people is directly correlated with the decrease in the average number of hrs. people sleep per night.

7.62NATO
04-09-15, 13:19
I'm late 30's, 6'0", and generally stay around 170ish. I believe genetics play a large part as does lifestyle and count calories, protein, and carbs. Most people think I weigh in the 190's.

I have recently been very strict with calories, carbs, and protein and also have also upped my lifting and running. I was already in excellent shape but now it's full on six pack, striations, vascularity, etc. like I've never had before. I realize diet and exercise most definitely played a roll, but at my age to easily make the change....has to mean my genetics are favorable for this.

For me, mental state(mental prep), sleep, and proper nutrition are just as important as cardio and lifting. However, these seem to be the areas that will eventually sabotage a productive workout regime since many seem to not give them much thought. I cannot overemphasize the importance of sleep. This has meant going to bed at 8 or 9 some nights as well as fitting in naps whenever we can. We have two very young children and my wife is one of the busiest OB/GYN Surgeons in the country. This means getting proper sleep is very difficult but has been made into a top priority. It has made a HUGE difference in many, many ways.

My answer to many people that have issues with weight/fitness has been to start with making sleep a priority. Then worry about the other things. Good sleep will make one feel so much better, mentally alert, positive, and energetic. This translates into being better able to exercise and stay focused on changing eating habits. It all begins with sleep. I contend the increasing percentages of overweight people is directly correlated with the decrease in the average number of hrs. people sleep per night.

I agree that sleep is key. Are you an MD, too?

Mo_Zam_Beek
04-09-15, 13:27
On a related note….

I have to zone out and think about all manner of things when I run. On a recent run I came to the conclusion that if attack on mainland USA were imminent and it was necessary to call up "Old men and boys"; and if there were say 4 weeks to prepare….

Given the physical condition of most American men over 35 / 40 - the time would be better utilized making sure everyone knew the business end of the boom stick and how to communicate rather than trying to go from wheezing pre diabetic, to marginally better and now injured for the effort….

It starts with the food we put in our face and requires consistent physical effort. It is a use it or loose it proposition.

Eurodriver
04-09-15, 13:30
This thread is odd to me. Anyone who has seen my posts in the nutrition forum knows that I'm trying everything under the sun to gain weight.

When I graduated from Parris Island, my Senior Drill Instructor called me "Stick Marine". I was 6'3" 145lbs. I'm heavier now, but still lanky as hell.

TAZ
04-09-15, 14:02
As with every thing in life the answer isn't as simple as work out more, or eat less or any ONE thing. Many things play a role in how your body changes as you age. Genetics is one, caloric intake is another and caloric output is another. Just like the 4 rules; ignore more than one and you won't like the end result.

We need to have an understanding of how our bodies are changing. Hormone levels are different at 50 than at 15. You may have been able to consume a bunch of carbs at 15 with no issues. At 50 you may ballon like the Hindenburg if you so much as look at a piece of bread. Understand what is making you have an issue and attack it.

As we age the metabolic issue is often compounded by injuries. Either acute (blown ACL, rotator cuff...) and / or long term overuse (tendinitis...). Metabolic rates drop as does your ability to work off the calories. For some this isn't a big deal. For the rest of us who have sustained some damage due to youthfully exuberant adventures; its a bitch.

With regards to work out routines. If you are able to work out or have figured out routines to work around those youthful injuries; I don't care who you are it's going to suck donkey balls for the first few weeks. Especially if you haven't done any activity for a long time. You just need to push through it without injury. After about 2-3 weeks of consistent activity the tiredness should go away and your will actually feel bad missing a workout. For those who have been out of activity for a long period you will be very smart to hook up with a trainer while you're staring off. Not only do you feel like you have some skin in the game ($ paid out), but they will motivate you and make sure that you're not causing other issues. Lots of people stop after a few days of working out cause they are sore, hurting and exhausted. All that can be managed to make the activity tiring, but not painfully so.

There is a reason why all those shows about weight loss always involve a trainer, nutritionist and often a physician. All 3 things need to be addressed for long term success.

The above thoughts are based on my personal experiences. 45YO; no ACL, no MCL, mangled Achilles, torn biceps tendon, torn deltoid tendon, busted anterior labrum, various compressed disks. And lost 30 or so # over the last year give or take. Work a desk job 8-10 hrs/ day, hit the gym 5-6 days a week and have some energy left to deal with a 10 YO.

It's possible

rero360
04-09-15, 15:11
Some say 30 is the magic number, all I developed by that time was skin cancer. I still fit the BDUs I was issued 16 years ago when I was 18.

I'd say that applies to me. I have always stayed between 150 and 160 even since 10th grade, with the exception of a few years ago when money was really tight, I got into a motorcycle crash, and basically life just sucked, I dropped down to 140-145. No matter how much I ate, or what I ate, how much I worked out, I never broke 160.

I met my fiancee last Feb. a few months before turning 31. Since being with her I have increased my weight to 170, with 175 being my goal, I'm kind of plateaued right now at 168-170. We've been going to the gym 3 to 5 times a week since the second week of January, I'm doing exercises I never done before like squats (bad back, two fractured vertebrae) and I feel great. I took an APFT last month and scored almost 40 points higher than I did a year ago, shortly after getting back from Afghanistan, my run time was quicker than it has been in probably almost a decade, which is crazy considering I'm running on a bad ankle (broke it in the motorcycle accident and it's never been the same since) and am about 25 pounds heavier than I was a year ago.

We eat healthy, she more so than I, I add a fair amount of candy and sweets to all the chicken, turkey, fish, salads, fruits, veggies. We have dramatically cut back on eating out as well over the past 4 months, its cheaper to cook at home and generally better food.

I have gotten noticeably thicker in the chest, my dress shirts are tight in the armpits now, I've had to exchange my wedding clothing for the next size up, and I'm going to have to take my suit jackets in to get let out here soon.

04-09-15, 15:26
I'll build on TAZ. Many people decide to start the fitness "life" and immediately make a mistake. They try too hard, too fast. Take it slow. When I speak with someone about beginning running, interval training, lifting, jiu-jitsu, whatever, my first advice is "Start slow and gradual." I was talking to a nurse my wife works with about starting running and my advice was don't run yet, walk. Same principle with changing eating habits(not dieting!) is not to right off the bat drastically reduce calories and change everything you eat. Gradual. Helps prevent food fatigue and not so mentally challenging when the mental game may not be there yet.

Being healthy, physically active, eating correctly, and mental/physical discipline is a LIFESTYLE. It is not a diet, or something you do every so often. I have posted multiple times about eating cake, ice cream, and drinking multiple Mexican Sprites a day while still making weight and physical goals. Works for me. May not work for you. My recent body changes came partly from dietary changes. No more cake, ice cream, sweets, etc. Mexican Sprites reduced to one every other week or so. I went from good shape to excellent shape. I only mention this as it relates to dietary changes and the difficulty in switching your diet around and STAYING happy and positive. Can be very hard to do. This is where mental discipline comes in. Now, weeks later, the dietary transition is complete, no food fatigue, and positive vibes on the new changes. Most people simply can't wait the time it takes to see physical changes and decide the diet isn't for them. In other words, simply make excuses for their lack of discipline. This ties back in with taking the whole process slowly and gradually. Then, the new fitness lifestyler understands the changes don't happen overnight and are more inclined to stay the course. Be that as it may, I tend to be much more pessimistic in regards to most peoples lifestyle change attempts. Many people are just lazy and will look for any excuse they can to maintain their unhealthy lifestyle. Will some change? Of course and I hope those posting in this thread do. I have stated before that the caliber of person on this site is above average and my negativity is not directed here. It is at the fat asses I see everyday in public that are obviously making no attempt at bettering themselves.

cbx
04-09-15, 16:02
This thread is odd to me. Anyone who has seen my posts in the nutrition forum knows that I'm trying everything under the sun to gain weight.

When I graduated from Parris Island, my Senior Drill Instructor called me "Stick Marine". I was 6'3" 145lbs. I'm heavier now, but still lanky as hell.
Oh don't be chitty euro......... [emoji1] Just kidding. You got lucky and won the genetics lottery. I have a brother the same way. He can eat anything, never gains weight.

On the flip side, if you ever decide to bulk up the process will take years.

I eat effing white bread and I feel like a gained 10 lbs.

GTF425
04-09-15, 18:05
Yeah, sure, I guess.

But what about these guys...

Pat Mac
JD Potinsky
Tom Spooner
Kyle Lamb
Mike Pannone
Paul Howe

Short answer: mindset.

I'm still WAY too young for this thread, so I'll read and heed the words of those of you living it right now. I'll revisit this in...25 years.

But, after 7 years of Paratrooping and 3 years in Afghanistan, I'll say that taking care of injuries early and not letting them become debilitating probably plays a huge part in it.

FlyingHunter
04-09-15, 18:13
What I tell my patients, in order of importance:

1. Genetics
2. Nutrition, particularly how certain foods interact with others
3. Exercise to include both cardio and resistive components
4. Hydration, I recommend 50% of your body weight in H20 daily.
5. Sleep

The self discipline to successfully manage #2 - #5 is where most people fall short.
I find it to be a curious human behavioral characteristic that most people only take #2 - #5 seriously AFTER a serious medical event.

Be Well.

04-09-15, 18:40
1. Genetics
5. Sleep

The self discipline to successfully manage #2 - #5 is where most people fall short.

Self discipline, or the lack thereof, is why people are overweight. Lack of discipline affects all the choices. "I worked hard today. I should eat a salad but a cheeseburger is a good reward and I deserve it." "I'm really tired today. I'll just take the day off." "This piece of cake won't hurt me." "I'm a little sore. I'll take an extra day off to rest. It will be for the best in the long run."

I will assume the 50% of your weight in water per day is a typo.

FlyingHunter
04-09-15, 20:24
Self discipline, or the lack thereof, is why people are overweight. Lack of discipline affects all the choices. "I worked hard today. I should eat a salad but a cheeseburger is a good reward and I deserve it." "I'm really tired today. I'll just take the day off." "This piece of cake won't hurt me." "I'm a little sore. I'll take an extra day off to rest. It will be for the best in the long run."

I will assume the 50% of your weight in water per day is a typo.

yep -50% of your body weight in ounces

JusticeM4
04-09-15, 23:22

This.

Genetics is the main factor here. Of course people can spend money on diet fads, gyms, trainers, surgery, etc. But in the end, your genes dictate what your body will do til the day you die. Your genetics also dictate your metabolism, whether you eat like pig or never work out. Some people will be skinny no matter what.

I believe it has been called a "Genetic Lottery" by a female supermodel.

JusticeM4
04-09-15, 23:27
What I tell my patients, in order of importance:

1. Genetics
5. Sleep

I find it to be a curious human behavioral characteristic that most people only take #2 - #5 seriously AFTER a serious medical event.

Be Well.

Numbers 1 and 2 are the biggest factor. #3 depends, but even if you don't workout, if you just eat healthy you will stay in decent shape or lose weight.

Naturally skinny people will never gain significant weight no matter what, based on their genetics. they may gain a few pounds here and there, but hardly noticeable.

Hank6046
04-09-15, 23:44
Genetics can hurt both sides of the issue. I remember a Marine under me who ran a nearly flawless PFT, but always tapped at 20% body fat. We'd run him into the ground and he'd never loose weight and as for his physical condition, it was superb, he had the 3rd highest PFT score out of a unit of 250 Marines, but just couldn't cut the weight. At the same time I remember one of my Marine buddies who was one of the best NCOs I've ever had the pleasure of working with. He drank like a fish, smoked like a chimney and ate McDonalds for pretty much every meal and never gained a pound, 2nd Class PFT at best but always made boards because he was such a great Marine. My Marine should've been right next to him but was on and off BCP for most of his career. Life choices count a lot, but sometimes, and I hate myself for saying this, but it is what it is.

JusticeM4
04-10-15, 00:29
Yes, obviously genetics can go both ways. I was referring to the genetically skinny people who never gain weight.

For the rest of us "normal" people, we have to eat right and work hard/exercise to be in shape.

brickboy240
04-10-15, 11:32
Part genetics, part diet, part lifetstyle and part stress levels.

That is what causes some to stay the same size and not change and others change drastically.

I am pretty close (within 10 pounds) of what I weighed when i graduated high school at my current age 49. However...it is only because I lift weights, play tennis and am a serious mt. biker. I also have begun watching what I eat closely in the last 10 years or so and stay away from most sweets and soft drinks.

My brother is 2.5 years younger and does not lift weights, eats more processed foods and sugars and has a more sedentary lifestyle and he is fairly pudgy.

If I took up his lifestyle...I am pretty sure I'd be pudgy and fat as well.

YMMV...depending on genetics, lifestyle, diet, exercise level and stress levels.

ramairthree
04-10-15, 11:47
I need one of those face palm gif picture things.

Pappabear
04-10-15, 12:51
People put on weight differently. Simple as that. Some guys gain all their weight on their gut, some spread the wealth from head to toe. again, genetics! As stated earlier, people eat more calories than they burn. This is true of 99% of people. 99% of the time if you spend 14 hrs a day with a heavy dude or gal, (due to work which has happened to me many times) you will know why they are fat unlike you. if your not. Genetics do play a role, some people are hungry all day long- seriously. And injuries suck and magnify your challenges 10 fold. My low back is so FKD it hinders me beyond measure.

I am not talking just about the fat of getting out of shape, and the size gain from that.

I assure you some of the guys named above, even if still lean and in shape, are not the size they were when they enlisted.

I am talking about how some people get thicker and more heavily framed.

WillBrink
04-10-15, 13:11
Genetics can hurt both sides of the issue. I remember a Marine under me who ran a nearly flawless PFT, but always tapped at 20% body fat. We'd run him into the ground and he'd never loose weight and as for his physical condition, it was superb, he had the 3rd highest PFT score out of a unit of 250 Marines, but just couldn't cut the weight. At the same time I remember one of my Marine buddies who was one of the best NCOs I've ever had the pleasure of working with. He drank like a fish, smoked like a chimney and ate McDonalds for pretty much every meal and never gained a pound, 2nd Class PFT at best but always made boards because he was such a great Marine. My Marine should've been right next to him but was on and off BCP for most of his career. Life choices count a lot, but sometimes, and I hate myself for saying this, but it is what it is.

Was he also stronger and husky build compared to others? The guy who'd be that guy to drag an injured person and a ammo a mile to safety? There's an anti muscle bias in the mil and med community, that is slowly changing thankfully. Prior thread discussions:

Military members with more muscle are penalized during fitness tests. (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?34890-Military-members-with-more-muscle-are-penalized-during-fitness-tests)

brickboy240
04-10-15, 14:26
Isn't there always that one person that eats junk 24-7 and never gains a pound? The person that smokes 24-7 and never gets cancer?

Well...those people exist but they are probably NOT the norm!

Those people we really don't worry about...it is the rest of us that have to eat right and work out to remain thin in our older years. LOL

QuickStrike
04-10-15, 15:24
I think its partially not knowing about basic nutrition or not caring about it enough. Years of this can add up and it will sneak up on you.

IMO basic nutrition should be taught in schools. Along with money management but thats a different thread...

Also American life seems really stressful (hell compared to vietnam according to by brother in law). Less leisure time, job stress, debt, traffic, over stimulation, etc...

Many people cope by treating themselves with food and alcohol, sometimes too much.

brickboy240
04-10-15, 15:59
True.

Sad that many people never realize that exercise too can be a stress reducer.

i know that after a stressful day...a long hard ride on my mt bike can melt away stress. Ditto for a good session lifting.

However...junk food is easier to get so most take the easy way out when it comes to dealing with stress.

Mjolnir
04-10-15, 17:02
"Food is Fuel"

LEARN how to eat properly - it's counterintuitive in many respects but it's definitely worthwhile (and doable).

Live it.

Resistance train. Explosively.

Pilates.

Yoga.

Used to be a track star.

In high school I graduated weighing 141 3/4lbs and stood 5'10".

Six months later I weighed 168 with similar body fat.

Life happened and ten years later I walked around at 175 lbs but competed in judo at 168 lbs.

Injured myself and ballooned to 208 lbs.

Recuperated and dropped to 182 but gained 10 lbs of muscle.

Four years in a extremely depressing job saw me slowly go back up to 205 lbs but I kept a lot of the muscle.

I'm 49 and I'm down to 195 and I've gained muscle with a trainer friend, supplements (cannot get around that), a cleaner diet, licensed massage therapist friend, Physical Therapist friend, yoga and Pilates.

Guys, it's doable.

And, yes, there are old injuries, scar tissue and some asymmetry that's being addressed.

It's about DESIRE.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

JusticeM4
04-10-15, 19:30
Isn't there always that one person that eats junk 24-7 and never gains a pound? The person that smokes 24-7 and never gets cancer?

Well...those people exist but they are probably NOT the norm!

Those people we really don't worry about...it is the rest of us that have to eat right and work out to remain thin in our older years. LOL

Yes, most of the time those people are the exception.

but there are people out there who are very strict on their diet and exercise, although they don't have the genetics to be thin. They commit their lives to fitness, which is why they are fit. Easier said than done, of course.

I think its partially not knowing about basic nutrition or not caring about it enough. Years of this can add up and it will sneak up on you.

IMO basic nutrition should be taught in schools. Along with money management but thats a different thread...

Also American life seems really stressful (hell compared to vietnam according to by brother in law). Less leisure time, job stress, debt, traffic, over stimulation, etc...

Many people cope by treating themselves with food and alcohol, sometimes too much.

In some ways it is taught in schools, although probably not enough.

Sex ed is taught to our kids but many teenagers still get pregnant too young.

True.

Sad that many people never realize that exercise too can be a stress reducer.

i know that after a stressful day...a long hard ride on my mt bike can melt away stress. Ditto for a good session lifting.

However...junk food is easier to get so most take the easy way out when it comes to dealing with stress.

This!

Many people are unaware of this and turn to food/overeating instead. Its also part of the American lifestyle where unhealthy food is cheap, and healthy food is expensive. If it was reversed, it would be much easier.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-10-15, 20:35
The older you are, the better you eat and more you work out, the better you junk works.

Someone had to say it. If that ain't motivating...

Eurodriver
04-10-15, 20:55

We had a guy from American Samoa who was exactly the way you describe. Barely made NCO despite setting the battalion record for pullups. At one PFT, he did 20 pullups, went to the back of another line, did 20 more, went to the back of a line, and did 20 more. Finally one of the SSgts asked him wtf he was doing and he replied "Getting in my fitness, SSgt."

Oh don't be chitty euro......... [emoji1] Just kidding. You got lucky and won the genetics lottery. I have a brother the same way. He can eat anything, never gains weight.

On the flip side, if you ever decide to bulk up the process will take years.

I eat effing white bread and I feel like a gained 10 lbs.

I wouldn't consider my weight winning the lottery. Being skinny sucks for guys. If I had to pick something good genetically, it's how I age. My dad has had a rough life yet despite collecting social security people think he's in his 40s.

SeriousStudent
04-10-15, 22:18
We had a guy from American Samoa who was exactly the way you describe. Barely made NCO despite setting the battalion record for pullups. At one PFT, he did 20 pullups, went to the back of another line, did 20 more, went to the back of a line, and did 20 more. Finally one of the SSgts asked him wtf he was doing and he replied "Getting in my fitness, SSgt."

Very true about the Samoans. I had an awesome one in my squad. He was my very best Lance Criminal - dude had two speeds, which were on and off. He never, ever slowed down. But they were always hassling him about weight control.

Then one night after we had imbibed much strong drink, he called the Regimental SgtMaj "Brah."

He was a Lance Criminal no more. :(

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-11-15, 09:28
I'm starting to think that I'm an albino Samoan that was adopted by Irish parents and never told.

https://youtu.be/AvbuNj37Z8I

Honu
04-11-15, 10:53
I fit in with the islanders as a mini version kinda :) but some were insane huge and in shape even hiking hunting with em you got a good idea how good shape they were both cardio and pure strength
In HS I was into bicycles also rode about 400-500 miles a week insane good shape but 6' 185-190 lbs through my 40s kept that weight mostly packed on some lbs since moving cause not active as much
Some of my friends were pure Hawaiian on Lanai
If you ever picked up a 72 steel scuba tank you know what they weigh now imagine picking it up by palming the top round part then holding them up and at a angle :)

One day loading the boat for a fun dive my buddy was like hey where you want me put these I turn around and he holds em up like that palming and out at a 45 degree angle :)
I laughed so hard
Then he holds them out arms length puts them in the boat :)
After that we joked all the time guess who I am and used beer cans as scuba tanks

But he was as good as me in air consumption diving and it was my living and I was in insane shape from riding etc....
Freaking insane shape but did not look like it