PDA

View Full Version : scale issues???

texasgunhand
04-08-15, 17:18
Iam having some issues with my 505 rcbs scale getting off zero.
My table isn't level ,but after leveling out the scale it seems to get off. Both hi and or low.
Does the table need to be as leval as possible? Or do i have a bad scale?
Ill level it,measure out 4 or 5 charges,then when i set it back to all zero to check it, its not zeroed.
It can be high or low theres no rhyme or reason to it. Any ideas

markm
04-08-15, 18:06
There are ways to tune up those scales. There was a guy on one of the forums who would give beams scales a "reliability package". I bet if you search Youtube, there are some do it yourself remedies.

williejc
04-08-15, 18:30
Air currents(fan, window, breathing on it); vibration from any type of banging, hammering, or powder measure operation; proximity to strong magnet; and resting on an out of label table are contributing factors. Imagine a N--S line passing through the scales' axis. Now imagine an E--W line intersecting the N--S axis. The scale must be level in both planes. A cheap level from Harbor Freight will tell you about the table and how much to adjust the table with shims under the legs. I think the out of level table is the problem.

bigedp51
04-08-15, 19:46
Your scale has magnetic dampening, and anything around or under the scale can cause problems with static electricity. Plastic containers, nylon or synthetic clothing, florescent lighting, electric cords, etc.

If you still have a problem then Google Scott Parker balance beam scale tuning and tuning balance beam scales.

Tuning Balance Beam Scales for Precision and Repeatability
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/09/tuning-balance-beam-scales-for-precision-and-repeatability/

texasgunhand
04-09-15, 22:21
I will leval the table as soon as i can get some help. Ive been down with the flu of all things the past couple of weeks.

lysander
04-09-15, 22:34
Temperature affects the electronic scales as well. I have found that you should turn it on and wait about 15 minutes to allow it to stabilize.

sjoliat
04-12-15, 16:48
I recently got a tuned scale from Scott Parker and was having problems with it randomly reading high or low. Was seriously disappointed, but eventually figured out that problem was caused by the pivot blade rubbing against the either the front or back of the cradle it rests in. Check to make sure yours isn't rubbing.

texasgunhand
04-12-15, 23:28
I will check on that for sure,i leveled the table today set the scale back on it and it zeroed itself so iam sure leveling has to help at least i dont have to chase stuff around on it.

Iam guessing you meen check and make sure that the beam is only touching the little plastic inserts it rest in and not rubbing the scale itself?

sjoliat
04-12-15, 23:38
Yes. When rubbing I found I could add a few tenths of a grain with no change in the reading. When not rubbing it pretty much responds to each kernel of powder.

T2C
04-13-15, 08:10
The scale should be placed on a level surface away from anything that can have an effect on a magnetic device. The beam should move smoothly without any resistance.

I purchased a set of RCBS check weights to check a 5-0-5 scale I purchased roughly 30 years ago. The check weights confirmed the 5-0-5 scale accuracy was right on the button, which was a pleasant surprise.

texasgunhand
04-20-15, 01:35
Just fyi ....Leveling the table seemed to help alot..so far so good..

jhurt
04-20-15, 04:29
Had a similiar problem recently. My 5-0-5 was packed away for a year and a half and was exhibiting your symptoms after getting it out again. I heard somewhere that possibly the body or arm itself can become slightly magnetized and to try washing it in warm dish soap (the whole thing except the tray with the shot in it) and let it drip dry for a day or so. Bingo, working perfectly since then.