PDA

View Full Version : Glock Extended Mag Release Comparison- OEM, Vickers, Ghost

Fairbanksan
04-09-15, 00:29
I enjoy the benefits that extended magazine releases on my Glock pistols provide. Like holsters, I've tried several different ones until I found the one that works best for me. There seems to be a lack of information on the web regarding how the various extended magazine releases for a G17 Gen4 compare with the OEM release, and with each other. The same information applies to the Gen4 versions of the G34, G19, and G26 since each of these Glocks use the same magazine release as the G17.
I thought I would share what I've learned so that others might have an easier time choosing the magazine release that is best for them.

http://i.imgur.com/B9eRmgs.jpg

I measured each with Hornady dial calipers. Here are the lengths for each.

OEM (factory unextended) 1.180"
Vickers 1.227"
Ghost TAC(S) 1.240"
Ghost Gen4 X-Release 1.290"

While each of the extended magazine releases are an improvement over the OEM, the one that works best for me is the Ghost TAC(S). Only the rear is extended, which is the part that is closest to the thumb when releasing a magazine. This clever design makes it easier to reach than other models. The Vickers, although nearly as long as the Ghost TAC(S), is extended primarily in the middle, which means the thumb must reach further, or the grip must be adjusted more to reach it. The Ghost Gen4 X-Release is the most extended, yet does not seem easier to reach than the Ghost TAC(S) to me. This is likely due to the fact that it is desirable to get a purchase on the middle of the extension, which, like the Vickers, is farther away from the thumb than the Ghost TAC(S).

Keep your powder dry!