PDA

View Full Version : Not wasting precision loads due to "unknown" reasons - how do I get started?

Eurodriver
04-09-15, 06:48
Now that I've got a pretty good operation going of 9mm, (all 5 days of it :cool: thanks everyone!) I think I'm ready to venture into the precision .308 reloading world.

These will be fired in my Krieger barreled Rem700, and I'd like to reach 1000 if possible with my shorter barrel.

I've got 100 175gr SMKs, IMR 4064 & Varget, CCI 200 and Wolf primers, and once fired FGMM cases. I've got a Redding full size die, universal decapping die, RCBS Neck sizer, RCBS Bullet seating die, and a RCBS Expander die. Solid Single stage press.

I'm not going for any world records or competitions. What I don't want to do, however, is waste components and barrel life. I've been reading (admittedly too much) about run out, case comparators, neck sizing, expander buttons stretching necks incorrectly, etc etc. It's all making me feel as if any rounds I load will be lucky to hit the paper.

What process should I use given the above equipment and components? I plan on doing ladders and working up loads and OAL, but I'm not sure how to get started. I don't want my bullets seating sideways!

Please send knowledge.

P.S. My 9mm is outstanding! Functions great and it's costing me $8.25 per 50. I love this hobby.

Onyx Z
04-09-15, 08:25
I haven't loaded much bolt gun ammo, but you might look into the OCW load development method. I feel like it has been more reliable in semi-autos than the ladder test.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

MegademiC
04-09-15, 08:35
From what I've read, ladders are the first thing to do once you get a solid base load, and develop around that.

Have you read the precision sticky? Tons of great info there.

polydeuces
04-09-15, 19:45
I haven't loaded much bolt gun ammo, but you might look into the OCW load development method. I feel like it has been more reliable in semi-autos than the ladder test.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

Great read - Thanks!

texasgunhand
04-09-15, 22:38
My dad reloaded years and years ago for a match gun and didnt pay attention to half the stuff out there now,such as runout etc.
His gun would put a five round string in 1 hole at 100.and he shot offhand at 500 all day in compitition.
Work up a load your gun likes and refine it,no matter what your ammo , it will be a crap load better than off the shelf ammo. It comes down to how good the rifle and you are.

We have an old saying in the race car business. You can put a crap driver in a good car and lose all week long, but you can put a good driver in a bad car and win all week long.

Yor gona waste some components working up a load for your gun. Theres no way around it.Fire form your cases and just neck size after that,we used to mark the brass so it even went back in the gun the same way.

colt933
04-10-15, 05:38
OCW gets me to nodes quicker and in less loads and less components than ladder.

weggy
04-10-15, 19:24
My dad reloaded years and years ago for a match gun and didnt pay attention to half the stuff out there now,such as runout etc.
His gun would put a five round string in 1 hole at 100.and he shot offhand at 500 all day in compitition.
Work up a load your gun likes and refine it,no matter what your ammo , it will be a crap load better than off the shelf ammo. It comes down to how good the rifle and you are.

We have an old saying in the race car business. You can put a crap driver in a good car and lose all week long, but you can put a good driver in a bad car and win all week long.

Yor gona waste some components working up a load for your gun. Theres no way around it.Fire form your cases and just neck size after that,we used to mark the brass so it even went back in the gun the same way.
I got out of Bench Rest and long range shooting years ago, you had to have OCD to reload for it. Traded my 40x for a Perazzi Trap gun,and stepped into another way to spend gobs of money! Better looking women shooting trap though!

Eurodriver
04-15-15, 16:22
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_2399_zpsdmtnfcrm.jpg

Firing these soon. I read the sticky. Lots of high level info, but not much technical "how-to" unfortunately.

I just loaded these the best way I know how. I did not use the neck expander in the neck sizer die (I removed that and the decapper), I used a separate universal decapper die and lee expander per williejc's advice. Other than that, I don't think I did anything inherently different than when I reload 9mm. I also rotated the case 120* three times while seating the bullet in order to prevent runout. I read that on the hide, but have no idea as to it's usefulness.

These rounds were neck sized only, as they were previously fired in my new Krieger barrel. I have about 100 cases of once fired brass that did not fit in my chamber that I deprimed and full body sized but now they are all 2.020"+ and SAAMI's max is 2.015" I was surprised that once fired brass from match ammo would gain 0.010"+ of length from a full length resize. Luckily, after I trim them they will be neck sized only for a while. I think it took me about 5 hours total to get where I'm at. Crazy how time consuming removing the crimp on black hills brass can be.

I'm excited to see how these rounds do.

2.825" OAL
175gr SMK
42.1gr of IMR4064
FGMM Brass
Wolf Primer