PDA

View Full Version : Precision .22LR build

jahwarrior1423
04-09-15, 12:19
I am wanting to start a .22LR build for my son for when he gets older. Would you guys build off a 10/22 reciever or a bolt action?...

I've heard the new 10/22 receivers from Ruger aren't as good as the older recievers. So I was thinking about building off a aftermarket reciever. If so, which reciever would you recommend?

If I went the bolt action route, which rifle would be a good candidate for a build and that offers several aftermarket parts?

Which ever rifle, it will eventually have a supressor for him. Will be used for hunting and range use.

Pappabear
04-18-15, 15:09
I am not a Savage fan, but they make a $250 bolt action 22 with threaded barrel, and rail for your optic on the gun. Can't beat that for $250

I have several 10-22's. They are still good and every child should have one. The bolt will slow him down on ammo dumps though.

Eurodriver
04-18-15, 16:39
What do you mean by "precision"? You want to win competitions or have a good time with an accurate gun at an affordable price?

This setup cost me about $1,000

Rifle $250
Rings $50
Scope $200
Bipod $100
Suppressor $450 w/ tax stamp

It isn't going to win any competitions against Anschutz or anything like that, but it easily shoots quarter sized groups at 50 yards with an eleven year old behind the trigger and bulk Remington ammo. I have 200 rounds of Eley Target ammo that I really need to try out...

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/DSC00208_zpsxkawsleo.jpg

ETA: I apologize. This is the semi-auto forum and I recommended a bolt rifle. Even still, you can find semi-autos at similar price points capable of similar accuracy and all of the other accessories still apply.

Kain
04-18-15, 16:45
Am going to have to go with the others here. What are you wanting out of the rifle? How precise are you looking for? Budget? We need more information to go off on before we would be able to make a definite answer or offer the best directions. There are several semi autos that I have worked with, Ruger and Savage which were more than accurate enough for my needs, which is to say mostly bouncing cans off the 100 yard berm, will say that I have a newer 10/22 that shoots better than the older one I have, just my samples. Have a Savage Model 64 that shoots very well and we cheap as well. Not sure on long term durability but for what amounted to $50 I think I am good. Hell, have more in mags for it now than in the rifle.

jbjh
04-18-15, 19:48
Almost any of the above recommendations will do. I'll throw in the CZ452/453/455 guns as good values, and very accurate. The 455 is very easy to swap barrels out on, so you can change barrel lengths, contour,, or even caliber.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

rcoodyar15
04-18-15, 20:38
10/22 call tony kidd

bolt gun. Can't go wrong with an Anschutz 54

If you want a bolt gun he can grow with buy a custom action and build the gun to fit him. As he grows up you can just rebarrel it and change the stock.

or keep it for his kid

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-19-15, 02:28
Almost any of the above recommendations will do. I'll throw in the CZ452/453/455 guns as good values, and very accurate. The 455 is very easy to swap barrels out on, so you can change barrel lengths, contour,, or even caliber.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

I have the 455 that comes in the Manners stock. A Harris bipod and a SWFA 10x scope and a bag in the rear and it makes a nice little set-up. I'm using it with my 10 year old son going over the basics. I think a 10/22 may be overall more useful, but I like a bolt action to teach new shooters- just more deliberate.

The 455 is as accurate as I can be and with the CRC silhouette range I can let my son bang steel out to 200- we'll, ping steel.

Kind of expensive for a mid grade 22, but a lot of fun.

punkey71
04-19-15, 11:22
While not a true precision option to most, I've started my kids on a bolt action Ruger American Rimfire in 22LR.

Uses the same mags as the 10/22 that is also in the safe for them.

Threaded barrel for the pending Spectre II.

Interchangeable stock pieces for standard or short LOP as well as rise for irons or optics.

Adjustable Trigger 3-5lbs but can be reduced to 1lb 2ozs without any additional cost.

I'm no bench shooter but 100yd, 3-4" groups with Blazer and Thunderbolts are pretty simple with a 2-7 scope. With some match ammo and a bench shooter behind it I can only assume that would tighten up pretty nicely.

For $300 I'm pretty happy with it as a stepping stone to the 10/22.

Just another option.

Best
Harold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk32829

trinydex
04-20-15, 13:43
I have a tactical solutions lt22 upper. when demanding precision i shoot cci subsonic ammunition. I would consider cci subs to be match grade. the gun can put together nickel sized groups at 50 yards with nothing more than a magazine monopod. the lower is nothing special, rock river 2 stage trigger and an ace skeletonized stock. the bushnell tactical elite 3-12x scope is actually the real game changer. can't put together groups like that without glass.

this gun is perfect for putting down birds and rodents. high back shots on dove from severe angle at 35 yards, no problem. untarnished medalions for cooking.

KTR03
05-19-15, 11:17
I see four options: 1) a Ruger 10/22 in whatever form you want to build it. There are also clones that can be brought to a very high level of capability. Mine is an AMT Custom Shop receiver with a threaded in Shilen barrel in a MCMillan stock. It shoots .15-.25 groups at 50 yards with Lapua Midas ammo. Its hideously expensive, heavy and tempermental. 2) A CZ. Light, small, great for kids. Very accurate, has iron sights. Probably better for teaching than a semi. 3) An ar15 in 22lr. Lots of those around. Not precision per se, but a great training tool and fun. 4) A T-3 summit rifle. This is my newest 22LR. Its a straight pull 10/22 style receiver (like a biathalon gun). The barrel is carbon fiber wrapped. Its threaded for a can, and is wicked accurate and Hollywood quite when using a suppresser. Its not as accurate as my AMT rifle, but it holds .25 inch groups at 50 yards all day long.

D

Nfd538
05-21-15, 09:43
Here's my percision KIDD 10/22
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c269/Mook_/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmxewb8ac.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/Mook_/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmxewb8ac.jpg.html)