PDA

View Full Version : What gun do you carry in this scenario?

Eurodriver
04-09-15, 13:40
This is your outfit:

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_1564_zpsii1zwibl.jpg

You must go to a non permissive environment that is in a bad area. It's 90 degrees and 100% humidity. You will be moving around, bending over picking things up, and highly mobile.

For the scenario to work, you must carry a gun, you must go, and you must dress similar to the picture.

What do you carry and how do you do it? You can use any gun with any holster

I've been seeing too many "I carry a Beretta M9 as my EDC and it doesn't print!" posts for my own sanity.

davidjinks
04-09-15, 13:45
S&W 642 in a Nemesis pocket holster with 2 spare speed strips.

TAZ
04-09-15, 14:11
Something in a pocket holster or a small auto (G42,43 ish) in a tuckable AIWB whose clip Velcro's to the underside of the belt.

SomeOtherGuy
04-09-15, 14:19
Desert Eagle in a shoulder holster, inside your shirt on the left.

Just kidding.

Something in a pocket holster, like a Ruger LCP. Not something I love, but better than bare hands.

C-grunt
04-09-15, 14:24
Either something in a pocket holster or a small slim semi auto (Shield, XD-S, Glock 43) in a holster that allows the shirt to tuck in over it.

Alex V
04-09-15, 15:03
Always wondered this as well. Can't wait to see more answers. I wear dress cloths to work every day. Can't carry in NJ anyway, but one day when I am living in Free America i would have to figure it out.

Dennis
04-09-15, 15:11
I play this game often. Small flat LCP in pocket and G26 on ankle. G17 mag on opposite ankle if you are serious. Small LED and slim knife in pockets as well.

T2C
04-09-15, 15:12
A J Frame in the front pocket. In your photo, you demonstrate how you could have your hand on the revolver when you perceive there may be a threat presenting itself, but you are not certain enough to draw the weapon. Carrying at least 1 Speed Strip is a must.

One trick I share with people in my CCW classes is to level up the trouser top and secure the pants on the strong side to the shirt with safety pins before putting on the belt and placing the J Frame in the front pocket. I usually put the pins inside the pocket just below the top of the pocket, so they are not visible to the public. If you put the pins behind the belt, it can get uncomfortable. The Speed Strip goes behind the holster in the same pocket. If you carry 2 Speed Strips, the other one goes in a pocket on the support side.

It's not an ideal set up, but at least you have something you can use to defend yourself. If your revolver runs dry at contact distance, don't forget you can use the J Frame eye gouge technique when warranted in a deadly force situation.

vaglocker
04-09-15, 15:18
m&p 9c (or similar sized gun) in Smart Carry

ABNAK
04-09-15, 15:19
Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster (front pocket).

With the shirt tucked in Thunderwear would be too hard to access.

T2C
04-09-15, 15:23
..........Thunderwear would be too hard to access.

I have to agree with you about the Thunderwear holster. I wore one for a while and in addition to slow access, I thought it was uncomfortable.

I have seen people carry a small pistol in a handheld computer belt carrying case, but I have no personal experience with it.

ABNAK
04-09-15, 15:32
I have to agree with you about the Thunderwear holster. I wore one for a while and in addition to slow access, I thought it was uncomfortable.

I actually "rediscovered" it recently due to Euro mentioning it in a post in the handgun forum. I've had one since maybe the late 90's and it sat in a drawer (I had to dig to find it!). Wore it and I kinda like it. I don't wear tucked in shirts EVER if I can help it, and in the summer here soft cotton workout-type shorts with an elastic waistband and a T-shirt are one of my favorite combos. Thunderwear allows me to comfortably conceal a 4" barreled handgun and I forget it's there. Since I'm now long out of the Army I actually wear drawers (!) so it keeps your junk from protruding in front of the muzzle when you sit down.

I think Thunderwear will be perfect when I eventually get a Glock 43.

TehLlama
04-09-15, 15:37
This is close to how I roll for most work type stuff with one job - my suggested answer tends to be S&W M&P Shield 9 in AIWB holster, spare magazine hanging out on support side khaki pocket. The 5.11 Covert Casual pants are a must for this arrangement, since those small zipper pockets wind up being my available space for keys, chap stick, and earplugs (other intended use for those). I happen to still run 4:00 IWB, but I'm 232lb so printing isn't that big a deal in that position for me (I can get away with carrying my LB 1911, but that's just dumb), but once I find a good AIWB holster with the right cant and attachment I'll probably settle on that.

Beyond that, spend the money on good shirt and socks that can help manage the heat/humidity best, even if it's a $50 RR, OR, or something high end type of shirt.

Grizzly16
04-09-15, 15:44
A tuckable appendix carry rig for whatever my usual gun is and pants that aren't fit like skinny jeans.

Watrdawg
04-09-15, 15:45
Considering clothing like that it would be a G43 in an AWIB holster or an IWB holster. As is now I usually carry a G19 in a IWB holster. However my clothing is a little bit baggier.

Crow Hunter
04-09-15, 15:47
When forced to do that before it was a NAA Guardian 32ACP in a back pocket "wallet" shaped holster.

Now that my wife has a G42, I plan on seeing if it will work in a front pocket.

I tried it with a 642 but the grips that I have on it to make it shootable for me makes it bulge as bad as a G26 in a pock holster.

PatrioticDisorder
04-09-15, 16:06
That is why I bought my M&P Bodyguard. Had you said carry friendly area but still didn't want to print, G43 could fit the bill but with that attire you need something even smaller.

BuzzinSATX
04-09-15, 17:02
This is your outfit:

You must go to a non permissive environment that is in a bad area.

Guess I'm the only one in the dark here, but please explain what a "non permissive" environment is? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

SteyrAUG
04-09-15, 17:08
This is your outfit:

You must go to a non permissive environment that is in a bad area. It's 90 degrees and 100% humidity. You will be moving around, bending over picking things up, and highly mobile.

For the scenario to work, you must carry a gun, you must go, and you must dress similar to the picture.

What do you carry and how do you do it? You can use any gun with any holster

I've been seeing too many "I carry a Beretta M9 as my EDC and it doesn't print!" posts for my own sanity.

Welcome to Florida.

You have basically a few options.

1. Tucked holster system that will conceal your firearm completely but will require 90 seconds to acquire in a defensive situation.

2. Pocket carry that may or may not print and will put you at risk of constantly flagging your own leg and depending upon the firearm / pocket holster system may or may not put a round down your pants, especially on the draw.

3. Reporters vest with OWB holster which provides fast access but may "glimpse" your firearm from time to time, especially when windy. Can also use the same vest to conceal IWB holster which doesn't dramatically change anything. Can also use a jacket if you don't mind being sweat saturated all day long.

4. Fanny pack carry, might as well have the word "GUN" printed on it.

5. Ankle holster option. Complex draw under stress and the opportunity to bang your small carry gun into everything you walk past all day long.

Basic rule of thumb, the better you hide it, that harder it will be to get to if you need it. Thankfully a lot of people in FL are completely oblivious. I carry a full size SIG 226 OTW and conceal with a vest. It traps the least amount of heat and when I go indoors most places, like restaurants, I can remove the vest and put it next to me which conceals the firearm on my hip.

Gombey
04-09-15, 17:38
Glock 27 in a Comp-tac Spartan with c-clips.

Big A
04-09-15, 17:55
Possible option:
http://www.511tactical.com/sleeveless-holster-shirt.html

With the bending and moving stuff AIWB won't be very comfortable. A pocket holster and small semi auto or J-frame are probably your only other option. The DeSantis Nemesis is a great holster. I also have a TUFF products one that lets me carry a speed strip with my J-frame in the same pocket.

How are you fixed for knives? I recommend you look at Zero Tolerance or a Spyderco Endura w/ wave opener or other similar knives.

Also, you are aware of short sleeve button down shirts, right?

polydeuces
04-09-15, 18:00
That would be the environment I habitat - year round.
This is another one where real world is different from 'urban legend' - i.e. "it's impossible to carry full size concealed - MUST have compact".
Don't overthink - do it and KISS!

My edc is a M&P9L, usually in leather. Sometimes a Steyr M9L. (Soon a VP9 or PPQ i hope......)
Wear it both outside and inside waistband, 90% of time I wear untucked: Basic rule - dress to carry - simple.

When I have to tuck in, the leather against skin with a belt provides a rock-solid platform, no belt loops needed.
VERY comfortable, practically invisible.

Also when circumstances allow (demand?) I'll carry kydex (with light), usually when I know I'm out n about in lo-nolight situation. Not as concealable by far, but usually no issue.

Basic truth is most won't know what to look for, with cell phones and all that crap people wear, and after a while once you get used to it you'll figure out how your body forms around your rig most 'concealed' - if that makes sense.
Most important is to actually practice draw from your set-up, regardless what it is - it will be revealing....

NCPatrolAR
04-09-15, 18:00
Glock 26 in a CTAC

GTF425
04-09-15, 18:02
Pocket holster with a Glock 43/Ruger LCP or similar.

Business_Casual
04-09-15, 18:33
I would try a G26 in an Ankle Glove.

Curious what people think of the pattern of the shirt helping break up any printing or not?

nova3930
04-09-15, 18:43
That's typical dress for me most days and our weather is similar. My standard rig is a M&P Shield in a Comptac minotaur at my 5 o'clock, bodyguard 380 in the back right pocket in a desantis nemesis and an extra mag for the shield in a sneaky Pete owb mag holster.

vigilant2
04-09-15, 20:31
G26 in Galco Ankle holster, G19 spare mag in my pocket(s) . Same setup I use in my non-permissive work environment and at my friends wedding. Dancing and all.

MountainRaven
04-09-15, 21:32
Tell me again how awesome it is to live someplace with no seasons.

:jester:

Seriously, though, I'd listen to Steyr. Or start wearing a linen suit with a Bren-Ten in a shoulder holster.

Spurholder
04-09-15, 21:34
Euro, are you certain that you couldn't get away with an un-tucked Polo (as in Ralph Lauren with the little horse and everything) with a pair of khakis?

I roll to church like that without a single batting of an eye...and have no problems CCW'ing my G19 and an extra mag or two.

I mean...just saying.

Ready.Fire.Aim
04-09-15, 21:42
I like my RECLUSE front pocket holster. Great leather.

Looks big but shape and leather hide the " print".
I carry it in my right front pocket
Spare mag and wallet in left pocket.

SW Bodyguard .380 with laser.

I live in South Texas, humid and hot.

For reference is my front pocket no-fold wallet

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/Aggie84/7790e8b6-e92c-4fc7-8abb-d476f0e86380_zps8bwedr8x.jpg (http://s1106.photobucket.com/user/Aggie84/media/7790e8b6-e92c-4fc7-8abb-d476f0e86380_zps8bwedr8x.jpg.html)

SpyderMan2k4
04-09-15, 21:45
Shield in a Smart Carry. Tucked in shirt, no visible belt clips, no printing, same AIWB position I typically use.

Vandal
04-09-15, 22:22
Either a small auto or 642 in a pocket holster up front, spare mag or speed strip in the other pocket.

You could also run a smaller auto on a ankle holster but ankle holsters are not my preference.

26 Inf
04-09-15, 23:13
One trick I share with people in my CCW classes is to level up the trouser top and secure the pants on the strong side to the shirt with safety pins before putting on the belt and placing the J Frame in the front pocket. I usually put the pins inside the pocket just below the top of the pocket, so they are not visible to the public.

Thanks, filed that one.

Palmguy
04-10-15, 06:54
Tell me again how awesome it is to live someplace with no seasons.

:jester:

Seriously, though, I'd listen to Steyr. Or start wearing a linen suit with a Bren-Ten in a shoulder holster.

We have seasons....

-Hot
-Rainy and Hot

I'm glad I rarely have to tuck in a shirt.

Averageman
04-10-15, 07:47
Dressed much like that for a Business dinner, I carried a P64 pocket carry and a folder in my other pocket.

Scoby
04-10-15, 08:06
S&W 36 in a Galco ankle holster. I do this quite often. It is certainly not ideal as drawing is awkward and slower but, the 36 is completely concealed wearing typical business casual kaki pants.

Most people you encounter don't pay attention to your feet.

Moose-Knuckle
04-10-15, 09:36
What gun do you carry in this scenario?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jts0xxg7P8I

RCI1911
04-10-15, 09:42
J-frame in an ankle holster for me. If you can fit it in your pocket, that would be another choice, probably a better choice, but just doesn't work for me except in loose fitting cargo shorts.

trackmagic
04-10-15, 13:27
http://cache.wists.com/thumbnails/d/26/d268a7552a8c6d4571d303eb552c25e2-orig
:cool:

Caeser25
04-10-15, 16:22
S&W Bodyguard .380 in strong side front pocket with 2 extra mags. One in the front weakside pocket. One in the back weakside pocket.

bighawk
04-10-15, 16:43
I dress like this about once a month and I always wear a black belt so the belt clip from my holster is hardly noticable. I carry a G19 AIWB and a spare mag in an IWB holster. Its quite comfortable for me and conceals well with well fitting clothes.

Moose-Knuckle
04-10-15, 23:07
http://cache.wists.com/thumbnails/d/26/d268a7552a8c6d4571d303eb552c25e2-orig
:cool:

Thread closer right there!

Ron3
04-11-15, 00:09
Thanks, filed that one.

Man good on ya because I read this three times and still can't picture what it is or how it helps..:confused:

Ron3
04-11-15, 00:19
Glock 19 with a CTAC or MTAC tuckable holster.

I've been there done that and while in Florida.

Tuckable holsters only slow down the draw a little. A bigger shirt makes it easier to blouse it over the belt to hide holster clips. Put spare mag in a pocket gun holster or glock mag pouch and drop that in your support side front pocket.

Or like others mentioned go for a J-Frame or Ruger LCR in a Nemesis holster in the front pocket.

Still too big? Then consider a pocket pistol or huge folding knife. Even a big folding knife (4 to 5 inch blades) can be carried easily in a pocket holster (Like an Uncle Mikes #2) and stay properly oriented. They also weigh only 5-7 oz depending on which model you get. Check out something like the Cold Steel Voyager or Recon series. They aren't that expensive at all.

Eurodriver
04-11-15, 09:40
I went to a big LGS yesterday to investigate these options. It was difficult without having a CTAC and other good holsters in front of me but there is just no way with my body type and clothing fit I can carry a G19. I think I will be going the J Frame route in the pocket as everything reliable is too big for pocket carry and IWB is really no good in these situations due to the amount of hugging and moving around.

When my G43 shows up I'd like to look into ankle carry. This isn't anything I have ever considered, but I like that it is completely out of the way. Does anyone have any ankle carry holster suggestions/tips?

FYI This is all great info and advice. I am not concerned with drawing speed or awkwardness. The point is getting a gun on my body. Even if it takes 90 seconds to draw, it's better than leaving it in the car.

Dennis
04-11-15, 09:48
I have been using a Renegade ankle holster for 10+ years now daily. The lambswool-ish padding and all elastic design make it infinitely adjustable and comfortable. I have upgraded my current LCP rig with a kydex holster and mag/knife pouches as well.

One tactic for drawing from ankle for a very close threat is to fall/roll to your back and draw with your leg slightly in the air. It is quick and disorienting to your target (hopefully) but does limit your mobility. Just one possibility to keep around!

Spiffums
04-11-15, 11:22
Probably a PPK.

SteyrAUG
04-11-15, 18:29
I went to a big LGS yesterday to investigate these options. It was difficult without having a CTAC and other good holsters in front of me but there is just no way with my body type and clothing fit I can carry a G19. I think I will be going the J Frame route in the pocket as everything reliable is too big for pocket carry and IWB is really no good in these situations due to the amount of hugging and moving around.

When my G43 shows up I'd like to look into ankle carry. This isn't anything I have ever considered, but I like that it is completely out of the way. Does anyone have any ankle carry holster suggestions/tips?

FYI This is all great info and advice. I am not concerned with drawing speed or awkwardness. The point is getting a gun on my body. Even if it takes 90 seconds to draw, it's better than leaving it in the car.

As somebody who has done it a couple times, I have come to learn draw speed is everything. "Having a gun" is almost meaningless when you are facing a drawn gun, it might as well be in the car. And don't kid yourself that your situational awareness is so great you'll never get caught off guard. If that were the case cops would never get shot.

Sooner or later you won't be paying attention. It will be because you just accidentally spilled gas down the side of your car, dropped and broke your cell phone or something like that. And the next thing you know you are in a situation that has already started without you and you are late to the game playing catch up. This means your option is to somehow create a diversion or distraction and use the "moment" to run or go for your gun. I don't run as fast as I used to so access is everything.

Won't be an issue in the office (probably) but once you step into the parking lot you are on your own.

I tried the ankle thing for the same reasons you are considering it. You will probably dump it for the same reason I did. If you are a responsible CCW person you are constantly aware of your weapon and constantly verify it. This makes you look like a retard and people constantly ask you if you just hurt yourself. You will walk funny and it never goes completely away. These things draw attention to your weapon which is exactly what you are trying to avoid. And it never becomes 100% natural and you bang it into things constantly like door jams. When you are in the heat and start to sweat it becomes even more uncomfortable and feels like you just did a couple miles with ankle weights on. Then you need to focus on what you are doing at the office with one sweat saturated sock.

Front pocket carry isn't quite as bad. First thing you do is turn your pants inside out and run about 5 heavy duty wide and tight stitches around the bottom of your front pocket. It should go without saying but never put anything else in the same pocket as your firearm. Use a pocket holster that covers the trigger guard. And you probably want a bobbed hammer. Consider going one size up as even a J frame takes up some space and makes your pants a little tighter and a little more uncomfortable. Keep in mind you have to do 8 hours, probably much of it seated, without doing what looks to everyone else like "constantly attending to your crotch." Put a dive belt weight in your front pocket and go out to dinner for an idea of what regular front pocket carry will be like. Sadly it's one of your "less crappy" options that all kinda suck.

There is the briefcase / satchel / man purse option, and this does blend well into an office environment but you need to have 100% control at all times and that comes across as odd and many suspect you have "drugs" or something else in there that makes you act so strange. It can also be slow to access a weapon given various designs but probably not as slow and awkward as drawing from an ankle.

If you are willing to go ultra compact, you might want to consider a Sneaky Pete holster.

Scoby
04-12-15, 08:00

I have two Galcos. One for the 36 and one for a Shield. I mostly carry the 36. The Shield's grip prints too much for my liking even for ankle carry.
These holsters are well made and have held up really well. Whatever you do get one with the lambs wool lining.

The way I practice my draw from a standing position is to drop to one knee (non-holstered leg). It is slower but not so bad.
A draw from the sitting position is not near as slow.

I tried the ankle thing for the same reasons you are considering it. You will probably dump it for the same reason I did. If you are a responsible CCW person you are constantly aware of your weapon and constantly verify it. This makes you look like a retard and people constantly ask you if you just hurt yourself. You will walk funny and it never goes completely away. These things draw attention to your weapon which is exactly what you are trying to avoid. And it never becomes 100% natural and you bang it into things constantly like door jams. When you are in the heat and start to sweat it becomes even more uncomfortable and feels like you just did a couple miles with ankle weights on. Then you need to focus on what you are doing at the office with one sweat saturated sock.

Come on Steyr, ankle carry is not that bad.
Ankle carry is a little awkward at first and makes you feel like your body is out of balance.
You do have to make adjustments occasionally. When you go from sitting to standing sometimes my pants leg will go over the top of the holster. Adjust before you stand. Everything becomes second nature with time and use.
On a sweltering summer day you're right, it can get a little muggy down there but, I've never found it to be so uncomfortable to give it up.

It's like anything else, you have to become accustomed to it.
As much as I wear mine I nearly forget it is there.

T2C
04-12-15, 10:13
Ankle carry has it's advantages and disadvantages. I pocket carry most of the time, but If I am going to be driving a car most of the day I will carry a J Frame on the inside of the left ankle. Pocket carry while seated in a car can make it difficult to make a presentation.

If you carry in an ankle holster, have a plan for drawing during a struggle. We had an officer fighting with a suspect who was trying to take her service pistol. Every time she bent over to grab her PPK out of an ankle holster, the suspect kneed her in the face.

Dennis
04-12-15, 11:24
Ankle + Pocket gives you options as well. As others have pointed out you aren't always standing up straight...

Big A
04-12-15, 12:35
Also much like a fanny pack screams gun, this screams pocket carry to me:
http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/6221024/il_570xN.297597775.jpg

T2C
04-12-15, 12:40
Also much like a fanny pack screams gun, this screams pocket carry to me:
http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/6221024/il_570xN.297597775.jpg

I carry my keys in this manner whether I am carrying in the pocket, a belt holster or not at all. I got tired of hearing the car alarm go off whenever I sat down or bent over to pick something up.

Inkslinger
04-12-15, 12:45
I carry my keys in this manner whether I am carrying in the pocket, a belt holster or not at all. I got tired of hearing the car alarm go off whenever I sat down or bent over to pick something up.

The creases on the pocket are what gets my attention.

Cincinnatus
04-12-15, 14:03
Some are saying Thunderwear is a no-go with a tucked-in shirt.
I thought it was supposed to be worn OVER the tucked in shirt, but under the pants.
I do not have one, so cannot confirm this. Anyone have one that can try it?

T2C
04-12-15, 18:19
Some are saying Thunderwear is a no-go with a tucked-in shirt.
I thought it was supposed to be worn OVER the tucked in shirt, but under the pants.
I do not have one, so cannot confirm this. Anyone have one that can try it?

I tried wearing the Thunderwear over my shirt tail after I got chaffed on my anchor and anchor chain. With my belt tight enough to hold my pants up in a scuffle or while running, it was still a little slow on the presentation. I am not knocking the Thunderwear, it's just not my cup of tea.

El Cid
04-12-15, 18:24
A snubby in the pocket and either a G26 or G19 in an ankle holster.

I tried wearing the Thunderwear over my shirt tail after I got chaffed on my anchor and anchor chain. With my belt tight enough to hold my pants up in a scuffle or while running, it was still a little slow on the presentation. I am not knocking the Thunderwear, it's just not my cup of tea.
I've been using one since the late 90's for running. Works great IME.

SteyrAUG
04-12-15, 19:04
I have two Galcos. One for the 36 and one for a Shield. I mostly carry the 36. The Shield's grip prints too much for my liking even for ankle carry.
These holsters are well made and have held up really well. Whatever you do get one with the lambs wool lining.

The way I practice my draw from a standing position is to drop to one knee (non-holstered leg). It is slower but not so bad.
A draw from the sitting position is not near as slow.

Come on Steyr, ankle carry is not that bad.
Ankle carry is a little awkward at first and makes you feel like your body is out of balance.
You do have to make adjustments occasionally. When you go from sitting to standing sometimes my pants leg will go over the top of the holster. Adjust before you stand. Everything becomes second nature with time and use.
On a sweltering summer day you're right, it can get a little muggy down there but, I've never found it to be so uncomfortable to give it up.

It's like anything else, you have to become accustomed to it.
As much as I wear mine I nearly forget it is there.

In SC you get four seasons, in FL we get BS HOT and 2 weeks of normal. Another thing that drove me crazy about ankle carry was driving. I'd bang against the center console all the time. For whatever reason I never got to "normal" with it.

El Cid
04-12-15, 19:19

Pretty sure those creases came with the pants from the factory. Much like the new jeans pre-ripped a couple decades ago, they now come with "trendy" creases and fade marks.

RCI1911
04-13-15, 12:17

Desantis Apache...I've had mine for 12 years now and it is still gtg, and comfortable too.

El Cid
04-13-15, 16:08
In SC you get four seasons, in FL we get BS HOT and 2 weeks of normal. Another thing that drove me crazy about ankle carry was driving. I'd bang against the center console all the time. For whatever reason I never got to "normal" with it.

Most folks wear an ankle gun on the inside of the support side leg. To bang the center console I'd think you would need it on the outside of your right ankle. Other than Sonny Crocket, I haven't seen anyone do that. :D

SteyrAUG
04-13-15, 17:50
Most folks wear an ankle gun on the inside of the support side leg. To bang the center console I'd think you would need it on the outside of your right ankle. Other than Sonny Crocket, I haven't seen anyone do that. :D

I did it. Allowed me to do a crouching "same leg" draw which was more practical than the roll on your back like a turtle method which can startle your attacker into shooting you.

There was an additional consideration that I tend to use a front left leg kick to my attackers leading leg in situations where things have started without my knowledge. Can usually fly that one under the radar while they are busy looking at my hands up in front of me guard "fake surrender."

But yeah, I was wearing it on the outside of my right leg.

Dennis
04-13-15, 22:56
I did it. Allowed me to do a crouching "same leg" draw which was more practical than the roll on your back like a turtle method which can startle your attacker into shooting you.

I see what you did there :-)

It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your options and I always believe the more "what-ifs" you go through the better. However you need to be careful of making your conclusions absolute.

I think any sudden move in a tense situation can elicit a negative response. It's all about having lots of tools to solve problems. Falling to your back is also a tactic for taking shots in a crowded environment. Falling on your back can also be where you don't choose to end up. Where is the suspect and his angle of attack? What are your options for escape or to create room? The more options and training the better.

Note: I have no problem with full size strong side OWB in any weather and I'm not that big. It's all about the proper cut of your clothes and the right holster for you, and I don't mean huge like the 5.11 shirts. Plus a backup or two depending on what I'm doing!

Dennis.

SteyrAUG
04-14-15, 02:30
I think any sudden move in a tense situation can elicit a negative response.
Dennis.

And that is the main issue. Time to an ankle carry, regardless of method, is longer. This is why I'm more willing to directly engage a threat and buy time to go for my gun then pull of some ninja rolling draw and get shot for my efforts. I've seen that back rolling draw go bad more than a few times.

El Cid
04-14-15, 06:41
And that is the main issue. Time to an ankle carry, regardless of method, is longer. This is why I'm more willing to directly engage a threat and buy time to go for my gun then pull of some ninja rolling draw and get shot for my efforts. I've seen that back rolling draw go bad more than a few times.

I've never seen or been taught to do any kind of roll or movement onto my back when drawing from the ankle. The draw I use and see others in my agency practice includes grabbing the pant leg and lunging onto your sting side knee while stepping forward with the support leg. It sounds like what you described for your ankle draw but the gun is protected during day to day carry because it's on the inside of the ankle.

I borrowed this photo from BkueSheepDog.

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Ankle-Holster-photo.jpg

I think we all agree that an ankle gun has its drawbacks, but for NPE's and as a 2nd gun (my use) it has value. I also will uncover it while sitting in a car with a CI in case things go sideways. I typically am behind the CI while my partner is up front with him. I can have my hand on the pistol without anyone knowing or appearing threatening.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-14-15, 10:57
Easy. SW Shield, front right pocket.

Big A
04-14-15, 14:44

I'm not saying it is a guarantee that someone with their keys clipped to a belt are always pocket carrying, but it makes me look at a person's pockets and usually I can spot their gun and tell you if it is a j-frame or semi-auto as they both print different.