PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Battle Belts

Jkrisp
04-09-15, 16:38
I have been looking into getting a battle belt setup and going to a mostly slick chest rig. The only thing I would leave on my carrier would be my horizontal fast mag setup for 1 m4 mag and a pistol magazine along with my CAT. My thought process is that the mag pouches on the battle belt would just feed into my pouches on the carrier. Example being I grab my chest mounted magazine and perform my reload then when able I move a mag from the belt back into the chest mounted pouch.

Any one have any experience with battle belts? I hope what I'm saying is making sense it does perfectly in my head just hard to articulate.

TehLlama
04-09-15, 16:58
Even when I ran my SPC with 6 loaded magazines, my 'easiest to get' magazines were the trhee still on the belt, and only would resort to the plate carrier mounted options if that source was depleted, or inaccessible because I was in an MRAP turret. Since I've trained more with the belt, I'm quicker there as long as I'm not seated in a confined space; and anytime I'm in a space that tight my first option is 'grab another weapon' before 'dig a magazine from a plate carrier'... but this is how I personally use mine.

I'm currently in the process of trying to put more of my blowout kit onto my armor carrier - right now I have two, either mounted to my modular chest rig, or in a separate fanny pack, which works, but I'm still trying to condense my 'prevent holes and patch holes' kit into the same deal so I can grab it independently, then be able to grab weapons and magazines as a more ala-carte grouped setup.

Alpha-17
04-09-15, 17:04
Last year I switched my personal kit from plate carrier only to PC and battle belt after realizing that the PC simply was not what it needed to be when ran solo. I run my mags about half and half, 3 on belt/4 on PC. Just makes sense to me to keep the mags closer to my weapon for reloads.

Never cared for moving mags from pouch to pouch though, unless we're talking from one extreme side to the other. Seems to be a bit of a wast of time/energy, but to each their own.

There are also a couple of threads on here where people have posted pics and in depth descriptions of their gear, and why they went with what they have. Here are the two you may be interested in, if you haven't already looked at them.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?39159-Gear-loadout-pics-and-descriptions

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?214-First-line-belts

CatSnipah
04-09-15, 18:18
In my limited experiences, I've found it more convenient to pull from my belt first, then from my chest rig.

Might have something to do with the fact that every training class I take...pistol or rifle...I use a belt. But not every one uses my chest rig. So, I'm more comfortable pulling from belt first.

superr.stu
04-09-15, 18:28
OP, I prefer pretty well opposite of what you're looking for. I would much rather run 1-2 mags on the belt and back feed from the PC. For one, I've trained to always go for the belt mag first. Second it keeps bulk and weight off the hips which makes it easier to move around, and get in and out of positions. If I'm pulling from the chest it means I have no other good options, that said I can see how in some applications running no belt mags and pulling from the chest rig /PC is best practice.

Jkrisp
04-09-15, 18:29
I just found that reloading from the horizontal fast mag was incredibly fast for me I have not tried reloading from a belt for rifle magazines so for all I know that would be even faster. So what it looks like is that everyone is digging the belt systems

Teolax
04-09-15, 19:03
Love my HSGI battle belt but I just out together a Banshee PC with D3 chest rig. Haven't had a chance to run the PC in a class yet though.

Under the Radar
04-09-15, 20:10
In my limited experiences, I've found it more convenient to pull from my belt first, then from my chest rig.

Might have something to do with the fact that every training class I take...pistol or rifle...I use a belt. But not every one uses my chest rig. So, I'm more comfortable pulling from belt first.

I'll second this. I've found that adding the belt and pulling magazines from the belt first works really well. I think it's just a lot more natural.

Jkrisp
04-09-15, 22:00
Thanks for all the info looks like I'll be ordering the HSGI belt!

jpmuscle
04-09-15, 22:09
Fwiw its worth I had a hsgi belt but after running a Crye modular belt I sold the hsgi. Hsgi's new slim belt looks interesting tho.

Jkrisp
04-09-15, 22:30
Crye huh? What is it $430? Used? Lol they are proud of there stuff.

HardToHandle
04-10-15, 05:42

Maybe they are proud of their stuff so to speak.
When the US Army needed a design house to develop future warrior concepts, Crye gear was there.
When the abortion of the pixelated grey camo, OCP, was utterly failing soldiers in Afghanistan, Crye gear was there.
When a Muslim extremist took people hostage in coffee shop in sydney, Crye gear was there.
The examples, such as UBL, could go on ad nausem.

Not meaning to be a fan boy, but Crye, as a company, is an innovator. If I was running a small to medium business in Brooklyn NY, I figure the overhead would be a killer.

I do second the battle belt element. There are compromises with battle belts, but I readily have the muscle memory to make belt carry of handguns, tools or magazines most effective. For me, belt draw and presentation of magazines is comparably as fast from belts to chest rigs in any standing situation. There is an advantage for me in chest rigs when proned out.

I have stated in other posts that I often take classes running mag cases on my everyday leather belt and carrying spare mags in/from my back pocket. That is the way I figure I am most likely to use a carbine in anger. That said, war belts are my version of the bat belt, with more real estate for more options. YMMV.

mack7.62
04-10-15, 07:05
For all you belt feeders ;) keep in mind the belt is first line gear, plate carriers/chest carriers are second line. If you have to ditch your chest rig say due to falling in water or because it is on fire it would suck to have empty belt pouches.

sevenhelmet
04-10-15, 07:52
My battle belt is set up like a "super duty" belt for me, since my primary "go-to" gear is a duty belt I can snap on which has 2 pistol and 1 rifle mags for quick-reaction defensive and/or get-home use. That, or a gun in hand and a mag or two in pocket, is the most likely gear I would have in an actual shooting engagement.

For my battle belt, I have an HSGI which can carry up to 4 rifle and 4 pistol mags, IFAK, and whatever admin/survival items fit the situation. The chest kit is a Mayflower UW to be worn solo or over torso armor, which carries 4 rifle and 2 pistol mags, plus IFAK and admin, leaving me with up to 8 rifle and 6 pistol mags.

For standing/moving, IMO the belt has the advantage, and gets its magazines used first and refilled out of the chest rig, if worn. For sitting/driving or confined spaces, the chest kit has the advantage, as the belt may not be able to be worn, but should be readily accessible.

Alpha-17
04-10-15, 07:53
Thanks for all the info looks like I'll be ordering the HSGI belt!

Good choice. I tried to go cheap on my first belt, and regretted it. I absolutely love my HSGI belt.

jpmuscle
04-10-15, 08:02
Negative.

http://www.cryeprecision.com/ProductDetail/mrbbb102lg0_modular-riggers-belt-mrb

Jkrisp
04-10-15, 08:37
Is the crye belt rigid? Looks sweet... Only like $20 more scribbles than the HSGI

sevenhelmet
04-10-15, 09:27
It is a rigger's belt, so it should be fairly rigid. FWIW, I like the aluminum Cobra connectors on my HSGI belt better than the standard plastic connector shown on that Crye belt. Stronger, and lower profile. I do like that the Crye can hook into pant loops. That said, for me the war belt is intended to be snapped on OVER whatever I'm wearing, so it's a non-issue. I also like the anti-slip padding of the HSGI belt- looks like the Crye doesn't have that.

GO_ALLOUT
04-10-15, 09:50
I've got th e hsgi with the cobra riggers belt...added single rifle taco and two single pistol tacos...absolutely love it. I also went with a G code RTI Mount for my Holster so it can be swapped out easily depending on what I'm running. My plans are to add a dump Pouch and also a blowout kit to the belt.

I went with the single tacos to keep it slim and fast.

I plan on getting a pc/chest rig as well but haven't yet as I haven't needed them. I only use this stuff for classes and comps so some others probably have much better info.

That said, I can attest that the belt is super comfortable, durable, and fast.

jpmuscle
04-10-15, 10:21
Is the crye belt rigid? Looks sweet... Only like $20 more scribbles than the HSGI

It is a rigger's belt, so it should be fairly rigid. FWIW, I like the aluminum Cobra connectors on my HSGI belt better than the standard plastic connector shown on that Crye belt. Stronger, and lower profile. I do like that the Crye can hook into pant loops. That said, for me the war belt is intended to be snapped on OVER whatever I'm wearing, so it's a non-issue. I also like the anti-slip padding of the HSGI belt- looks like the Crye doesn't have that.
I wouldn't call it rigid by any means. Stable yes. There is no internal support but it utilizes hook and loop in conjunction with the inner belt that you wear through your pants. 100% stable in my experience. Initially I ran a cobra belt through the riggers belt to stiffen it up but I ended up ditching it since I preferred the comfort of the original belt. It conforms to your body very nicely.

Only real negative is that with the HSGI it has the non slip padding so you don't need to mate it to a underlying belt and can wear it over a jacket if its big enough and your in a pinch. The crye can be run like that if needed but there is no Velcro holding in place.

SteveL
04-10-15, 15:06
Based on my rather limited experience and observations, I'm a fan of battle belts that Velcro or otherwise attach to something underneath them to hold them in place. I have a US Grunt Gear Infidel belt as well as an outer Cobra Belt and both attach to a pants belt via Velcro. They absolutely do not move. I found it interesting being in a class watching other students run or go prone and then having their belts rotate around or ride up out of position. Having said all that, I am a huge fan of HSGI and every pouch on both of my belts is from them. I'm just curious how well their belt stays in place while on the move. On the flip side, I suspect that their Suregrip Padded Belt is a little lower profile than my Infidel.

GO_ALLOUT
04-10-15, 15:13
Sure grip moves very little...almost not at all and one nice thing about it going over your pants and belt is that with layers on top, you can put it over a lot of those layers preventing shirts from getting in the way of your gear.

sevenhelmet
04-10-15, 16:08
Based on my rather limited experience and observations, I'm a fan of battle belts that Velcro or otherwise attach to something underneath them to hold them in place. I have a US Grunt Gear Infidel belt as well as an outer Cobra Belt and both attach to a pants belt via Velcro. They absolutely do not move. I found it interesting being in a class watching other students run or go prone and then having their belts rotate around or ride up out of position. Having said all that, I am a huge fan of HSGI and every pouch on both of my belts is from them. I'm just curious how well their belt stays in place while on the move. On the flip side, I suspect that their Suregrip Padded Belt is a little lower profile than my Infidel.

Mine doesn't move during range drills, including running up to 200m across terrain and going prone. HSGI has been totally trouble-free for me. I'm not saying other brands are no good, but HSGI is a solid choice.

Jkrisp
04-10-15, 17:09
Ordered the HSGI with the cobra belt! Thanks for everyone's input for real I would have still been staring at pages of belts if not for y'all

GO_ALLOUT
04-10-15, 17:23
Highly reccomend the tacos for that belt!!!

Jkrisp
04-10-15, 18:07
Ordered tacos along with it! 2 of each, singles

SteveL
04-10-15, 19:07
Mine doesn't move during range drills, including running up to 200m across terrain and going prone. HSGI has been totally trouble-free for me. I'm not saying other brands are no good, but HSGI is a solid choice.

Somehow I'm not really surprised, being it's HSGI. Good to know. If I'm ever in the market for a replacement I'll keep them in mind.

Alpha-17
04-10-15, 21:11
Ordered tacos along with it! 2 of each, singles

Good call. TACOs are stupid expensive, but absolutely worth it, especially if you ever think you'll run something besides the normal AR mag.

TehLlama
04-11-15, 00:32
I have a slight unicorn of a HSGI battle belt (soft loop riggers Cobra in the HSGI scuba padded, with provisions for climbing harness), and it's a seriously phenomenal system. Any belt that can be considered comparable or better is in the running for best battle belt around.

I really like the versatility of the Tacos, but personally I actually run BFG HW 10-Speed stuff since it's nearly as flexible, and I don't plan on using the webbing on the outside for belt stuff anyway - net result is a really hilariously lightweight belt that I can actually use for other stuff (zip ties through MOLLE webbing do great for holding tools, dump pouches are universal, and being able to use Safariland's MLS to ditch the pistol meant I can use it to more safely do work on roofs and up in trees around the house - I'm sure there are tons more uses for a setup like mine, I just haven't had occasion to need them.

I'm with H2H on Crye doing some seriously impressive things - the Airframe is a seriously impressive helmet, and all their other work that I don't own a copy of is equally impressive from everything I can tell. Considering that it's top flight R&D on early adopter hardware Crye stuff is a bargain (compare to Apple, which is delivering worse stuff at higher margins - and their fanboys are ravenous). I just haven't had a need to try one of those belts, as my HSGI does everything I could want it to.

Caeser25
04-11-15, 09:03
Get the HSGI Suregrip. It is very comfortable and worth every penny. After cheaping out the first two times, I finally got one.

Turnkey11
04-11-15, 11:04
Im a fan of only running a holster and pistol mags and a ifak on my belt, if you want to run a slick carrier, use a chest rig over it for rifle mags when you are carrying your rifle.

Mo_Zam_Beek
04-11-15, 11:40
N Franklin - why do you feel this way? I thought a lot of the point of a belt was to shift the weight to the hips (which can better handle it for sustained periods) with the added bonus of a lower profile when prone.

<--- Does not have a belt, but considering it.

TehLlama
04-11-15, 12:04
The slick carrier adds options and possibilities either way - considering that there are quite a few really good QASM mounted chest rig options (Mayflower, Hayley D3, DownrangeGear, others) as well as tons of great chest rigs, slick carriers really are the ideal answer if you're not going to be running ONE type of magazine and one general loadout type for the armor carrier. Same modular approach kinda applies with the idea that grabbing the pistol belt should mean grabbing the pistol, holster, belt, magazines and any other support equipment for that.
I do run a pair of rifle mag pouches on my belt, but I don't store them with magazines loaded (I just keep pairs of magazines with each of my carbines, or in an Eagle Patrol Bandoleer with a multitool, flashlight, and medkit in the other rifle mag pouch). If I'm going to take the time to jock up (PC, helmet, belt) and grab a carbine, I'll be able to backfill the belt rifle pouches from another ammo source if I care enough about load carriage to redistribute. If I'm short one time, I want to be able to put on a belt really quick, if I have time to grab a plate carrier and rifle I can probably just loop a bandoleer around the other shoulder, and call that good.

In courses, the weight distribution benefits of having rifle mags on the belt is impressive - although for those a good pair of TruSpec 24/7's is probably all the carriage you need for an entire carbine course. Again the slick plate carrier wins for that stuff, and using a chest rig as supplemental standalone load carriage is preferable - which for anybody using that setup means the belt really has two or three primary jobs - carrying a sidearm, carrying sidearm support equipment (can include dump pouch, BOK, knife), and optionally helping carry long gun support equipment.

Turnkey11
04-11-15, 12:41
To me the belt is first line gear, I try to keep it as minimal as possible. Beyond the pistol, mags, light, and IFAK, I don't want anything else. My armor is setup to be used in conjunction with my rifle; if I need the rifle I wear the armor. 3 mags on the front, the rest goes in the patrol pack.

GO_ALLOUT
04-12-15, 13:35
To me the belt is first line gear, I try to keep it as minimal as possible. Beyond the pistol, mags, light, and IFAK, I don't want anything else. My armor is setup to be used in conjunction with my rifle; if I need the rifle I wear the armor. 3 mags on the front, the rest goes in the patrol pack.
Agreed...just been thinking of adding an hsgi Mag Dump pouch...

TehLlama
04-12-15, 13:51
I run a BFG HW folding one - it adds about half a tennis ball worth of bulk/weight stowed, but still holds a ton. They're stupid expensive for just a dump pouch (and I've still considered replacing it with an SDS or the EAG dumper since those are easier to use for range/classes), but it is small/light enough it doesn't interfere with that belt being a lithe first-line option.

SteveL
04-12-15, 14:26
Agreed...just been thinking of adding an hsgi Mag Dump pouch...

I have an HSGI Mag-Net on my belt. I've only run it in one class so far but I really like it.

CatSnipah
04-12-15, 15:42
I have an HSGI Mag-Net on my belt. I've only run it in one class so far but I really like it.

Me, too. Served well.

Korgs130
04-13-15, 20:59
Sure grip moves very little...almost not at all and one nice thing about it going over your pants and belt is that with layers on top, you can put it over a lot of those layers preventing shirts from getting in the way of your gear.

Excellent point about the layers, definately one of the benefits of a battle belt. The HSGI Suregrip has been very solid for me both at the range and in class. RCS holster, HGSI IFAK, one singe pistol taco, one single rifle taco, one double rifle/pistol taco. I've got everything on the sides so I have easy access to when prone.

GO_ALLOUT
04-13-15, 21:14
Yup...i tried to keep front clear so that sitting and moving is comfortable. 2 Pistol Tacos and one rifle taco on the left and just my Holster on the right.

Gonna add a magnet Dump Pouch on the left toward the back and add a small IFAK on the right towards the back far enough away from my pistol to not get in the way.

The rest will be going on chest rig/PC...as that's next on my gear list.

GO_ALLOUT
04-13-15, 21:16
In addition to keeping it clear in the front...i also tried to keep it slim on the sides for easier movement

bababoris
04-13-15, 21:17
Great info. Would be cool to see some pics of these different setups if possible

GO_ALLOUT
04-13-15, 21:26
Here's one showing my new set of holsters and the gcode RTI mount...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/13/4052ebb8b68468889ba634cf0be68bf7.jpg

SteveL
04-13-15, 21:27
Great info. Would be cool to see some pics of these different setups if possible

There's already a sticky for that.

First line belts (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?214-First-line-belts)

GO_ALLOUT
04-13-15, 21:31
And another showing my Mag tacos;

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/13/e8cfb2b09f2761606539647da8145437.jpg

HighSpeedGearCS
04-14-15, 13:31
If it works that is great but the Rifle Taco is on backwards.

SteveL
04-14-15, 14:04
If it works that is great but the Rifle Taco is on backwards.

It's good to see you posting. Hopefully we'll see more of you.

GO_ALLOUT
04-14-15, 14:05
Well than I'll have to fix that but yeah...it's worked flawlessly!!!

HighSpeedGearCS
04-14-15, 14:14
I roam the forums daily but only post when needed. Want to make sure no one thinks we are trying to push goods only information. If anyone ever has an issue I will do my best to answer quickly and accurately. Feel free to email us at the shop if I overlook a post that needs our attention.

Jason

soulezoo
04-14-15, 16:13
I prefer to have a slick PC and run my stuff on the belt. That said, I certainly do not have a "minimalist" set up. The thinking is, if I need to doff that PC, I still have stuff.

On my belt I have 3 rifle mags, holster and 3 pistol mags, trauma kit, leatherman mut, comms, and a SAW drum pouch (the rigid kind) that doubles for anything else I want-- dump pouch, extra mags (up to 6), range finder or binoc carrier, whatever- there is versatility there.

The only thing I go back and forth on is the MUT. It's heavy... for the amount of use it brings. Need and not have and all that though. Sometimes think about leaving it in 3rd line pack... but then without the pack is probably when I'll really want it for something.

Bogart
04-19-15, 22:13
Here's one showing my new set of holsters and the gcode RTI mount...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/13/4052ebb8b68468889ba634cf0be68bf7.jpg

Who makes those holsters??? Particularly the LC one. I would love to have the RTI hanger on my HSGI belt to be able to swap pistols but have yet to find a LC holster with the RTI system that I like. I'm aware of the G-Code OSH holsters, but don't like the idea of not having a WML on my handgun on a war belt set up.

GO_ALLOUT
04-19-15, 22:28
Who makes those holsters??? Particularly the LC one. I would love to have the RTI hanger on my HSGI belt to be able to swap pistols but have yet to find a LC holster with the RTI system that I like. I'm aware of the G-Code OSH holsters, but don't like the idea of not having a WML on my handgun on a war belt set up.
Armiger Solutions!

Email Jake and tell him what you want...they do great work and turnaround is quick. I think I got mine a week after ordering.

info@armigersolutions.com

Bogart
04-20-15, 03:55
That's what I get for not googling the business card in the pic. I just looked at his FB page and am very intrigued. I'll have to e-mail him to find out details on LC holsters for a G19 and VP9 with APLs...

GO_ALLOUT
04-20-15, 05:13
No worries man...i ordered that set for my 17 with rmr, night sites, threaded barrel, and x300u. Both with rti hangers.