PDA

View Full Version : SP1... To shoot or not to shoot

Serlo II
04-09-15, 16:48
I just picked up a SP1. I think it was built in 1981 Serial # is SP136xxx
This rifle came from a large collection and appears to never have been fired.
It's a super cool rifle and I would like to fire a few rounds through it but it's so pure and new, I'm hesitating.
What do you guys think??

Kain
04-09-15, 16:56
I would shoot it. I won't own a gun that I won't shoot. That is just me though.

Also, if it didn't come with box, manual, and the other odds and ends then I would say more reason to shoot it.

Serlo II
04-09-15, 19:35
That's always been my way too. All my guns are for shooting.
My hesitation is that this one appears to be brand new in the box. It's just so perfect.....

Kain
04-09-15, 19:46
My hesitation is that this one appears to be brand new in the box. It's just so perfect.....

Well, to put it this way, if you don't. Someone else, at some point, will. I always figure it should be me if I own the damn gun.

Renegade04
04-10-15, 13:54

Here is my .02 worth. As an AR collector and enthusiast, I own a couple that do not get shot. One is a cherry 1977 Colt SP1 Sporter and the other a 1993 Colt Sporter Match HBAR (MH6601). Neither of these rifles have seen any usage. Both were bought second-hand, but neither appears to have been shot much in any. The SP1 has no wear at all and the MH6601, I was told, had about 100 rounds run through it when it was purchased new. When I got it, it came in the box, in plastic, with all of the paperwork and accessories. I will not be shooting either of these in order to maintain their condition. I did recently pick up a 1981 Colt SP1 Carbine which is in very nice condition, but it has been shot. I have shot it since I bought it. Excellent shooting carbine by the way. In addition to the SP1 Carbine, I have 30 other ARs that do get shot because I built/bought them to do just that. I do not need to shoot the two other Colts. Frankly, If I had your 1981 SP1, I would do my best not to shoot it and keep it preserved just as it is. That is from my collector standpoint. From an enthusiast standpoint, the same advice.

Firefly
04-10-15, 14:44
I have an old Colt. It gets shot. It is probably my favorite "fun" rifle.
Absolutely no reason not to unless you are purely a collector. I was lucky to come into one 8 years ago and I got it just to shoot. I know what they go for on gunbroker but I would rather have fun and enjoy what I have. They are guns, not stock options.

Renegade04
04-10-15, 16:48
I have an old Colt. It gets shot. It is probably my favorite "fun" rifle.
Absolutely no reason not to unless you are purely a collector. I was lucky to come into one 8 years ago and I got it just to shoot. I know what they go for on gunbroker but I would rather have fun and enjoy what I have. They are guns, not stock options.

For the two older Colts I do not shoot, I still enjoy having them. They are premier pieces in my AR collection. I do not have to shoot a gun to appreciate it. I have a couple pistols in pristine condition that I do not shoot either. I have many others I can shoot. With 114 firearms, I have a lot of choices.

Doc Safari
04-10-15, 16:58
If it's really unfired, I'd keep it as a collectible and get another AR to shoot. The SP1 in mint condition will never go down in value because it's a Colt. Five years from now when President Hillary has banned any further manufacture of semi-autos and all pre-existing ones are NFA items, your new unfired SP1 will be worth a small fortune.

Frailer
04-10-15, 17:03
I'm another member of the "I shoot all my guns" crowd. I do have a couple of guns that I "baby" a bit because getting parts for them would be an issue, but they all get shot.

With that said, I don't look down my nose at those who keep "safe queens." It's not my money, and if someone derives joy from ownership, that's perfectly OK with me.

From my perspective, the question boils down to what you want to do. Since you said you'd like to put a few rounds through it, that's what I'd do.

Serlo II
04-12-15, 08:22
Well, I bought it to shoot. Since its over 30 years old and never been fired, I'll let it sit in the vault for a while. I may sell it to a collector and purchase one that has been fired for my own use. I'll have to think about it. I appreciate all your viewpoints.

Renegade04
04-12-15, 13:21
Well, I bought it to shoot. Since its over 30 years old and never been fired, I'll let it sit in the vault for a while. I may sell it to a collector and purchase one that has been fired for my own use. I'll have to think about it. I appreciate all your viewpoints.

If you decide to shoot it, please le me know. I would like to have the opportunity to take it off your hands before you shoot it. It would go well with my 1981 SP1 Carbine and my 1977 SP1 Sporter.

Serlo II
04-13-15, 11:10
Will do!!

BoomDoc
04-29-15, 13:36
Id say shoot it and love it. Hell, dig a hole in the yard and really get your Nam on...

SeaDonkey
05-13-15, 08:43
Seriously, shoot it and enjoy it. It isn't uncommon for me to leave my fan boy builds in the safe, and spend a day at the range with the old SP-1. One of my favorite rifles.

SeaDonkey
05-13-15, 08:48
… oh, my SP-1 was unfired when I traded for mine. I was in the same quandary as yourself. But now that I fired it, it is mine… the wear is mine. And my son will enjoy it as well!

casador
09-11-15, 19:46
I just picked up a SP1. I think it was built in 1981 Serial # is SP136xxx
This rifle came from a large collection and appears to never have been fired.
It's a super cool rifle and I would like to fire a few rounds through it but it's so pure and new, I'm hesitating.
What do you guys think??
Well here is my .02cents also. I had a very good friend that had collected for years, and owned some really neat guns but would never shoot them. You see he was always considering their pristine unfired collector value. Well one day he was diagnosed with cancer, one year later he was dead. His family in their haste to turn guns into cash blew out the collection pennies on the dollar. I know my friend many times contemplated shooting some of his guns but just could not bring himself to do it. So I say to you, enjoy your guns and if you want to shoot them do so, life is to short. Anyway like I said, just my .02 cents.....

Flankenstein
09-11-15, 19:49
Pics...

HKGuns
09-11-15, 20:12
Oh without question shoot it, otherwise you will just stare at it?

fmiq
09-11-15, 21:16
Shoot it and enjoy it! They are a really fun weapon!

ace4059
09-13-15, 00:04
To the OP; well its been 6 months since up first posted this pondering about shooting your colt. Have you shot the damn thing yet?

To Casador; That's terrible about your friend. I figure my family will do the same thing after I am dead so I use all my guns.

Full disclaimer: I am a gun whore... there I said it. My guns are not neatly stored in the gun safe protected in a sock or nice little case. They all all piled on top of one another because that's the only way they will all fit in the safe. They get knocked around, dropped, and fall over. I view them as a tool, when eventually all tools break and have to be replaced. I buy nice guns that are top of the line. They are scratched and scared. Used and abused, Rarely cleaned. No wooden guns of any type all synthetic stocks on my bolt actions that will take abuse.
And remember, you haven't been hog hunting until your driving 40+mph with your NVD in total darkness when the AR-15 next to you gets knocked out the open jeep and the rear wheel runs over it. I only thought LAV gun tests were extreme.