PDA

View Full Version : 308 dies for reloading, AR308 rifle.

polydeuces
04-09-15, 21:50
As title says: Looking for input.
What dies are suited for 'precision' AR308.

Plenty of solid info as to what powder, brass, presses etc. but having a hard time narrowing down what dies.

FWIW, i plan on starting out with Lee Challenger pres - not looking at volume.
Been buying (shooting) Federal Gold 168gr. (and select others), going to reload the brass, so its already fired and sized to my chamber. Not really planning on reloading anything but 'once fired' through my barrel.
Considering the 'die' is what does the actual work, good tools make doing a good job easier, and they theoretically last 'forever' - don't mind buy once cry once, but really don't enjoy throwing money overboard.

For now I'm at 1-200 yds. working on the fundamentals, but the goal is ultimately load for reaching out to 1K. and do it well.
What works, what do I really need to take me there.

Thank for your input.

HKGuns
04-09-15, 22:07
Redding with the Micrometer seating die. Several hard core re-loaders on here recommended them and they work great.

This set specifically.

Redding (http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/redding-type-s-match-full-length-die-sets-category-i-cartridges-prod37960.aspx?avs|Cartridge_1=CTT_308%20Winchester)

lysander
04-09-15, 22:36
How tight is the chamber?

Some, like mine, are very tight and I had to go with small base dies.

agr1279
04-10-15, 07:32
How much is that press and have you purchased it yet? If you haven't, give the Dillon 550 a good consideration. I started out with a Lyman Orange turret press and after using it a while I realized that I was shooting fast than I was loading. Also you are going to need to trim the cases. I purchased my Dillon almost 20 years ago and it was money well spent.

Dan

agr1279
04-10-15, 07:32
Double post

polydeuces
04-10-15, 07:48
Re: chamber/barrel - It's a 308 chamber, nothing match or special I think - this (http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-selecttm-308-barrel-18-blk#product-tabs)- barrel.

Press is like $70.
Going to look at multi=stage after a while. I know a single stage can always be used so I'm not worried about that. But yeah - been looking at Dillon, getting their fine publication......March was particularly outstanding :cool:

Thanks.

markm
04-10-15, 16:40
I'd recommend hand annealing the necks at least every other loading... if not every loading. It makes neck tension more consistent.

I'd buy a Redding Body die and set it up to match the chamber. Get a piece of brass that's tight in the chamber and incrementally turn the die down until the brass chambers nicely. If you go too far, you'll wear out brass faster.

After that, I'd run the Lee collet neck die, trim as needed, and buy a decent seating die. I've gone to the LE Wilson chamber seating die with an Arbor press. I've grown tired of the parts seizing up on my competition seaters.

polydeuces
04-10-15, 17:48
OK, that's a lot of good info in a short form - let me process this and get back with what I hope to be more educated questions. Which I know I will have once I get busy.
Thanks!

markm
04-10-15, 18:42
I started out with Dillon Carbide .308 dies and tried to duplicate my .223 formula. That didn't work at all for making precision ammo. I also tried God damned bushing dies, and absolutely hated everything about them too.

match308
04-29-15, 21:40
Agreed. None are more consistent
Redding with the Micrometer seating die. Several hard core re-loaders on here recommended them and they work great.

This set specifically.

Redding (http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/redding-type-s-match-full-length-die-sets-category-i-cartridges-prod37960.aspx?avs|Cartridge_1=CTT_308%20Winchester)