PDA

View Full Version : Inside of Dd upper receiver scratched by charging handle , never fired .. Normal?

Mtb772
04-09-15, 23:23

Please tell me this is good to go ? I really don't feel like returning this lol .. Sorry if the pics are bad but I hope you can tell .. The finish is completely worn off from the stock charging handle rubbing .. I couldn't get a pic of the handle itself but there is a line on it although on the handle the finish is still good , just the upper is rubbed raw inside

TomMcC
04-10-15, 02:36
Looks normal to me.

Eurodriver
04-10-15, 03:50
Have you ever had an AR15 before?

Mtb772
04-10-15, 04:39
Have you ever had an AR15 before?

Not one where the finish was worn off the upper the first day I received it , no

jmnielsen
04-10-15, 07:08
Just shoot it, who cares. No one will ever know it's there but you.

tgizzard
04-10-15, 07:10
It's the end of the world, you should probably just throw that thing away. In fact, I'll happily take it off your hands for you :lol:

Hank6046
04-10-15, 07:29
It's the end of the world, you should probably just throw that thing away. In fact, I'll happily take it off your hands for you :lol:

You took the words right out of my mouth.

CatSnipah
04-10-15, 07:34

I'm in line if you pass.

Eurodriver
04-10-15, 08:07
Do car forums have people that post about the sprues On their new tires and if they hurt anything?

7.62NATO
04-10-15, 08:12
That is definitely not normal. The gouging is excessive and indicative of an out-of-spec receiver, and it is not safe to shoot in its current condition.

revoa4
04-10-15, 10:01
There's only one way to fix it, go and shoot 300+ rounds, then the gun will develop new scratches and you'll forget about that one.

Eurodriver
04-10-15, 10:10
That is definitely not normal. The gouging is excessive and indicative of an out-of-spec receiver, and it is not safe to shoot in its current condition.

Agreed. This is what it should look like.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww252/TDFbound/13ChargingHandleWear.jpg

MegademiC
04-10-15, 10:50
Can you feel it? Silver is normal. Deep gouging is not.

Gazorpazorp
04-10-15, 15:13
DD test fires and function checks every upper at the factory. This is normal.

TomMcC
04-10-15, 16:17
That's gouging? MMM, I thought it just looked like surface wear from the charging handle.

Cobrasks
04-11-15, 01:46
Never fired ?

As long as you don't feel excessive resistance then lube it and shoot it .

If you feel the carry handle has excessive resistance then contact
the manufacturer .

товарищ
04-11-15, 17:55
Think of a wear mark as a friend - if it's not eating excessive material, then it's simply telling you where to put lube.

NWcityguy2
04-13-15, 16:45
It is normal for a charging handle to wear off the finish, but gouging is not normal. I'd like to see some other pictures of "normal" gouging if that is the case. I'd contact DD if I were you, I doubt you dropped $1k+ for a "should be alright" rifle.

Swstock
04-13-15, 17:47

Please tell me this is good to go ? I really don't feel like returning this lol .. Sorry if the pics are bad but I hope you can tell .. The finish is completely worn off from the stock charging handle rubbing .. I couldn't get a pic of the handle itself but there is a line on it although on the handle the finish is still good , just the upper is rubbed raw inside

Add 1 to the not normal crowd. I have a new BCM upper with a few rounds through it that doesn't look like that, and also a MEGA upper that has some rounds through it that still looks new. Its gouged, not worn from normal use.

straitR
04-13-15, 20:59
Add 1 to the not normal crowd. I have a new BCM upper with a few rounds through it that doesn't look like that, and also a MEGA upper that has some rounds through it that still looks new. Its gouged, not worn from normal use.

Let's be clear about something, whether or not an AR has ever been shot has nothing to do with those marks. You wouldn't have to fire a single shot and could wear the anodizing off the upper by simply repeatedly working the charging handle. Lack of lube or the presence of sand/grit would accelerate wear, but firing the gun has nothing to do with it.

Swstock
04-13-15, 21:07
Let's be clear about something, whether or not an AR has ever been shot has nothing to do with those marks. You wouldn't have to fire a single shot and could wear the anodizing off the upper by simply repeatedly working the charging handle. Lack of lube or the presence of sand/grit would accelerate wear, but firing the gun has nothing to do with it.

You're totally right. I was trying to compare age showing that im comparing new to new. I doubt this guy was sitting in his bed cycling his action.

Still, That gouge doesn't look like wear due to repeatedly using the CH.

straitR
04-13-15, 22:36
You're totally right. I was trying to compare age showing that im comparing new to new. I doubt this guy was sitting in his bed cycling his action.

Still, That gouge doesn't look like wear due to repeatedly using the CH.

Check, but lot's of references to shot count, which is irrelevant to those wear marks. Just clearing the smoke.

As far as normal or abnormal...

The OP did not return to comment or confirm as gouges, but merely referred to them as "wear marks". That, and based on the quality of the pictures, the upper looks bone dry, in which case you can put wear marks in the top of the upper quickly. They look completely normal.

Moar Loobz and Shoot it.

Blak1508
04-15-15, 20:55
I have bought two DD completes and one came without a mark and the second one looked similar to the OP's. Both DD's were almost bone dry. I've had uppers that were new without marks and once I added a BCG or a new CH and cycled the BCG marks showed. If it is bad and you hear binding try changing out the CH or putting marker on the CH to see where your getting the contact, I personaly think it's just the finish rubbing and the contact surfaces getting comfortable. Should hit a point where it settles and will not get any worse. As the above stated if the weapon is dry it will not take much to get those marks, just a few cycles with the CH. That same DD I have that had similar marks is now thru 5000+ rounds and going strong.

Singlestack Wonder
04-15-15, 21:00
Threads like this continue to amaze me......

HKGuns
04-15-15, 21:28
OP your upper is fine. Shoot it.

Now for a question. Why is it some people can't write a fricken sentence without including "lol"?

Marler5811
04-16-15, 07:50
All of our rifles and upper receiver groups undergo a 10 round function test prior to final inspection and shipping. The wear marks on the inside of the upper, in my personal opinion, are completely normal with metal to metal contact. I also agree that there should not be any gouging. My recommendations is to lubricate the inside of the upper, the entire charging handle, and Bolt Carrier Group Assembly. This will really smooth things out.

I'll also mention that we have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are unsatisfied with the product you received. Just hit us up and we'll gladly arrange to take a closer look to see if anything is out of spec and warrants replacement.

BatteryOperated
04-16-15, 08:34
All of our rifles and upper receiver groups undergo a 10 round function test prior to final inspection and shipping. The wear marks on the inside of the upper, in my personal opinion, are completely normal with metal to metal contact. I also agree that there should not be any gouging. My recommendations is to lubricate the inside of the upper, the entire charging handle, and Bolt Carrier Group Assembly. This will really smooth things out.

I'll also mention that we have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are unsatisfied with the product you received. Just hit us up and we'll gladly arrange to take a closer look to see if anything is out of spec and warrants replacement.

This pretty much covers the issue, Thank You Joe Marler and Daniel Defense.

7.62NATO
04-16-15, 09:38
DD to the rescue...

lowbar
04-16-15, 09:42
Eh, I install BCM charging handles in most of my rifles. The second time you pull on it, it scratches the handle up. Its called metal on metal, throw some lube on it and call it a day. I don't like my $50 fancy charging handles to be scratched either, but its a characteristic of the rifle. What ya gonna do?

Blak1508
04-16-15, 21:00
DD, thank you for chiming in, that's what I chalked the marks on my DDM4V1 as also, just contact marks. The DD has been 100% reliable through courses and range time.

4thPointOfContact
04-16-15, 21:01
He should be more worried about that full-auto upper receiver than the scratches inside it.

7.62NATO
04-16-15, 21:06
He should be more worried about that full-auto upper receiver than the scratches inside it.

?? :confused:

JSantoro
04-16-15, 22:13
OP, consider...how many times that charging handle will have been utilized to ensure that weapon is clear or to make bright lights/loud noises, from the moment it's initially assembled, to it's test-firing, to being placed in a box for shipping to a vendor, then perhaps getting handled by that vendor, etc.....? Lots.

What you see is completely ordinary. It's now up to you to help those little polished areas get bigger.

-------------------

Some posts were deleted, because none of us came fast-roping down mama's umbilical cord knowing ANY of this stuff. To those affected: Get it together. Pretty-please.

Lastly...on the offhand chance that it's not known..., full-auto requires a particular lower configuration, and since this thread's about an upper, we can just let that line of inquiry drop as being irrelevant.

Hank6046
04-17-15, 08:31

Yeah, I'm not getting it either, please explain

Iraqgunz
04-17-15, 09:54
I think we can out this to rest now.