PDA

View Full Version : New handheld light

SteveL
04-10-15, 14:47
I am in the market for one or two new handheld lights and would like to keep the cost per light at or around $100 at maximum. I was perusing Surefire's site and a couple of different models jumped out at me:

G2X Tactical (http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/g2x-tactical.html)
G2ZX CombatLight (http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/g2zx-combatlight.html)

Both are in my general price range (or well below on Amazon), and offer the same light output and run time. They are also single output which is what I want. They both also have Nitrolon bodies, which I'm perfectly fine with.

The difference is that the CombatLight has the combat light shaped body. I have no experience with this type of light and wanted to find out what others think of them. Are they really easier to hold/use while holding a handgun, or is the shape a gimmick? Is the CombatLight worth the price difference?

These will be used for any and all types of household/vehicle/range/HD duty and may bounce back and forth between the nightstand, glove compartment, pants pocket, or HSG Taco. At some point they will be used in the heat, cold, and rain.

Is there anything else I should know or are there other lights I should consider before buying?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

MBtech
04-12-15, 10:38
I have a couple Streamlight Pro Tac HL lights, I really like them. I have one for work and one for home.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/915665/streamlight-protac-hl-flashlight-led-with-2-cr123a-batteries-aluminum-black?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google&gclid=CKuthouM8cQCFQsvaQoder0AQw

SteveL
04-12-15, 13:26
I have a couple Streamlight Pro Tac HL lights, I really like them. I have one for work and one for home.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/915665/streamlight-protac-hl-flashlight-led-with-2-cr123a-batteries-aluminum-black?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google&gclid=CKuthouM8cQCFQsvaQoder0AQw

Very interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. What kind of battery life do you get running on high?

Adrenaline_6
04-12-15, 15:46
I would look at a Klarus XT11. Great user interface for HD/Tactical. Very durable and really nice balance of spot and flood. It will be under your budget also.

http://klaruslight.com/plist_show.php?id=63&lge=en

Jaysop
04-12-15, 17:59
While surefire has rock solid quality they lack in features.
if it's a single purpose defense tool I'd get single output Surefire. But if you want something that is WAY more flexible concider a Fenix PD35. I had issues with older Fenix lights but what I've seen recently are inpressive.
What I EDC with me is a Armytek Taira Pro.

SteveL
04-12-15, 19:51
I would look at a Klarus XT11. Great user interface for HD/Tactical. Very durable and really nice balance of spot and flood. It will be under your budget also.

http://klaruslight.com/plist_show.php?id=63&lge=en

I'll check it out. Thanks.

While surefire has rock solid quality they lack in features.
if it's a single purpose defense tool I'd get single output Surefire. But if you want something that is WAY more flexible concider a Fenix PD35. I had issues with older Fenix lights but what I've seen recently are inpressive.
What I EDC with me is a Armytek Taira Pro.

Primary use would be defensive, but realistically it will end up seeing typical everyday use.

As far as lights go that have several different settings/outputs, either I've never used a good one or they're just more trouble than they're worth IMO. Having said that, the Fenix does look interesting because of the use of the slide switch to change between the different modes. I have come to hate lights that change modes by some combination of pressing the tailcap button so many times within a certain time. It seems I always end up with the light on a setting I don't want.

Jaysop
04-12-15, 20:11
I agree. I don't typically like multimode lights that are run off a single switch either.
For a light that will see daily use you may not want something that cranks out 500 lumen when you looking in a dark closet or walking the dog. It gets super hot and kills the batteries in usually like 30 min. A light with a low mode is great for daily tasks. Something like the surefire fury pro isn't a great defence light because you have to toggle between modes. The single output defender is to much light and will blind you in most simple uses.
What I like about the Fenix PD35 is that is saves the last mode your in. So if you leave it on low it starts up in low and so on.
Check out EDC forums and the Candle power forums for more specific info on what you'll need out of the light.
I've only recently picked up the PD35 and have been very pleased. There are also smaller cheaper ones from them.
I got mine at REI so if I didn't like it I could just bring it back no questions asked.

Adrenaline_6
04-12-15, 21:14
As far as lights go that have several different settings/outputs, either I've never used a good one or they're just more trouble than they're worth IMO. Having said that, the Fenix does look interesting because of the use of the slide switch to change between the different modes. I have come to hate lights that change modes by some combination of pressing the tailcap button so many times within a certain time. It seems I always end up with the light on a setting I don't want.
That s what makes the Klarus XT11 so great. The main switch in the tailcap turns it off and on. The secondary tailcap switch changes the brightness or strobe. If it's off, the secondary switch strobes immediately. If on, holding the secondary switch down for a second instead of clicking it brings up the strobe. You don't have to move your hand placement on the light and have full control without even looking at it once.

SteveL
04-12-15, 21:38
That s what makes the Klarus XT11 so great. The main switch in the tailcap turns it off and on. The secondary tailcap switch changes the brightness or strobe. If it's off, the secondary switch strobes immediately. If on, holding the secondary switch down for a second instead of clicking it brings up the strobe. You don't have to move your hand placement on the light and have full control without even looking at it once.

This light also looks very interesting as well. My only initial concern is switch durability. Have you had any issues with it?

Spurholder
04-13-15, 09:41
Have you taken a good look at the P2X Fury? It's one awesome light...and justifiable under the philosophy of "buy once, cry once."

Especially for only an additional $14.95. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-P2X-Fury-Tactical-LED/dp/B0089G0QRE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428936147&sr=8-2&keywords=Surefire+P2X+Fury

Adrenaline_6
04-13-15, 09:50
I have had no issues with the switch. I have a Gen I XT11. They "improved" the switch on the Gen II for easier use with gloves, but I never had a problem with the switch.

The light finally died though. I have dropped this thing on numerous occasions from above ceiling heights onto concrete and it has kept going when I thought it would surely not have made it. What did it in finally was a drop onto concrete from a 40' boom lift. When I dropped it, I thought it was definitely done. I looked down and it must have fell on the switch, because it was on and working fine. It worked like normal for a month or so, then started to go intermittent. It would go dim and then back to normal if I shook it. All those drops must have finally cracked a solder point. One day I will heat up the head to take it off and fix it but I haven't got around to it yet. I have my modded S200C2Vn to play with so that project is on the backburner. You probably will never put it through the same type of abuse, so I wouldn't worry about it failing on you. My buddy has a Gen I also and has had no problems. He doesn't put it through the unnecessary torture I did.

MBtech
04-13-15, 15:45
Very interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. What kind of battery life do you get running on high?

I haven't ran it constant until it dies to make an accurate answer for total runtime. I use the one at work a lot throughout the course of every day and have rechargeble batteries, always have a set charged and ready. Usually I'll get a day to a day and a half of use before I need to change batteries depending on how much it is used. I use it mainly for inspecting vehicles, and talk about lighting up an engine compartment 600 lumens does the trick. My work light has been dropped a lot on the concrete floor also and I've not had any issues with durability.

SteveL
04-13-15, 21:25
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and answers to my questions. At this point I think I'm going to pick up one of the Surefire lights I was considering initially and just stick it in a Taco on a battle belt and leave it there. They're not that expensive so why not?

I think I'll end up getting one or two of the others that have been suggested as well for vehicle/bedside lights. The versatility seems like it would come in handy in those roles.