PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 vs Gen 4 Glock for grip reduction

ruchik
04-10-15, 16:27
I am considering giving a Glock 19 a go, see if it works for me. I'd like to send one off to Boresight Solutions for this work. My question is, would a Gen 3 or Gen 4 be better as a host for such grip work?

Here's my situation. I've got tiny hands. So any sort of reduction is beneficial for me. I will not be using the replaceable backstraps. Now I see that the Gen 4 already has a 2mm reduction in grip, but I don't know WHERE that reduction is. If the reduction is in the hump of the grip, then I don't need a Gen 4. If, however, the 2mm reduction is in the part of the grip where the web of your hand goes, then that's worth it, as its a 2mm shorter trigger reach. I'd be starting off with a shorter trigger reach, in which case the Gen 4 would be the way to go. Or does a grip reduction render a Gen 3 vs Gen 4 argument moot? Anyone have any opinions on this?

Etho
04-10-15, 22:53
If I recall correctly, the Gen 4 is along the lines of the SF frames. Where exactly the 2mm is missing, I don't know. The hump looks smaller to me. If you are intending on doing a grip reduction, might as well just get the Gen 3 in my opinion.

For what it's worth, doing a grip reduction isn't hard. I've done a few of mine and a few for friends. It's quite simple using heat.

Texaspoff
04-11-15, 12:08
I am considering giving a Glock 19 a go, see if it works for me. I'd like to send one off to Boresight Solutions for this work. My question is, would a Gen 3 or Gen 4 be better as a host for such grip work?

Here's my situation. I've got tiny hands. So any sort of reduction is beneficial for me. I will not be using the replaceable backstraps. Now I see that the Gen 4 already has a 2mm reduction in grip, but I don't know WHERE that reduction is. If the reduction is in the hump of the grip, then I don't need a Gen 4. If, however, the 2mm reduction is in the part of the grip where the web of your hand goes, then that's worth it, as its a 2mm shorter trigger reach. I'd be starting off with a shorter trigger reach, in which case the Gen 4 would be the way to go. Or does a grip reduction render a Gen 3 vs Gen 4 argument moot? Anyone have any opinions on this?

Start with the 4th gen if trigger reach is an issue for you. The 4th gen starts off with less distance to the trigger as the entire backstrap area is 2mm smaller to begin with. Most reductions DO NOT and SHOULD NOT remove material from the upper most portion of the grip. The polymer in that area is quote thin to start with. I have had to repair more than one grip that had a hole in that area from removing material. Glock didn't just remove 2mm from the back of 3rd gen frame and go down the road, the redesigned the connector housing so they could keep the same about of polymer in that area, but reduce the area overall.

4th gen G19 reduction.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/DSC_0023_zps2ef4ad96.jpg

TXPO

rauchman
04-14-15, 19:23
Start with the 4th gen if trigger reach is an issue for you. The 4th gen starts off with less distance to the trigger as the entire backstrap area is 2mm smaller to begin with. Most reductions DO NOT and SHOULD NOT remove material from the upper most portion of the grip. The polymer in that area is quote thin to start with. I have had to repair more than one grip that had a hole in that area from removing material. Glock didn't just remove 2mm from the back of 3rd gen frame and go down the road, the redesigned the connector housing so they could keep the same about of polymer in that area, but reduce the area overall.

4th gen G19 reduction.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/DSC_0023_zps2ef4ad96.jpg

TXPO

Wow, that's really nice. Well done!

Up1911fan
04-14-15, 19:46
I prefer the Gen4. The chop and reduction Lane did to mine is awesome.

black22rifle
04-14-15, 21:05
I was also in the same situation when I got my gen 4 but the small reduction was a difference for me. Try to handle a gen 4 so you can see the difference and try the medium back strap on and off since that strap brings the grip up to a gen 3 size.

A gen 4 g19 with an undercut trigger guard is gold for me.

ruchik
04-25-15, 01:13
Hmmm....so as I understand it, a grip reduction, even extreme grip reductions, do not remove material from the area of the grip where the web of your hand sits? I would imagine that such a reduction would at least remove some material from the sides of that area, just not directly behind the housing block.