PDA

View Full Version : MagPul CTR

JSGlock34
07-12-08, 17:16
Thinking about picking one of these up. I'm a bit confused though - I've seen some information that the CTR now comes with the butt pad included in the base price - but I see that many vendors are selling the butt pad for $20. Anyone know whether the CTRs now come with the buttpad, or are there certain vendors that sell them this way?

Thanks.

Robert 02
07-12-08, 17:24
I just ordered and receive my Mil-Spec CTR stock and it also came with the
butt pad attached, it appraently is a recent change is what I was told. All are supposed to come with the Mil-Spec CTR going forward.
Their website does not say anything about the change but this is the experience I had.

Robert

Scattergun
07-12-08, 17:30
I ordered a Mil-spec CRT from Brownells about a month ago and it came with a butt pad. I did not know this when I ordered it and also ordered a pad. I now have an extra butt pad.

Verbal Kint
07-12-08, 17:50
I ordered my mil-spec CTR (in FDE) from Ranier Arms, and it just showed up in today's mail, actually. I'm not really all that upset about it, but although their website states in big bold letters "Rubber Butt-Pad Included" I sadly didn't receive it.

Maybe it just accidently didn't make it into the box. Who knows. Might email them and see if they'll send me one since it's a $15-20 value. Would be nice to have. :)

exitinyourhead
07-12-08, 17:52
i ordered a mil spec od green one and it came with the pad but it was not attatched, it was in a seperate little bag inside the magpul box... make sure you check your box!

i've thrown important crap away before
:(

Verbal Kint
07-12-08, 17:58
i ordered a mil spec od green one and it came with the pad but it was not attatched, it was in a seperate little bag inside the magpul box... make sure you check your box!

Oh, I checked it... lol. Had my PRI Gas Buster CH in there as well. Just no butt pad. :(

EDIT: The package itself was mailed in the actual MagPul CTR stock box. They just opened it up, tossed in the CH, and sent it on it's way. I'm thinking they accidently left out the butt pad, when they opened it to toss in the charging handle. Probably moved stuff around, took it out, tossed in the CH, and it never made it into the box. Honest mistake Im sure, as I've had nothing but good results from Ranier so far. I'll call or email them and see if they can fix it.

sl4mdaddy
07-12-08, 18:06
Must be a recent change, I had to get the butt pad separately.

exitinyourhead
07-12-08, 18:36
and just an afterthought to my other post, although mine came with it, I don't use it. I like it without. i have a lower with a commercial ctr on it, with the pad and I have this one without. I like the feel of it without... go figure

Robert 02
07-12-08, 18:38
I ordered my mil-spec CTR (in FDE) from Ranier Arms, and it just showed up in today's mail, actually. I'm not really all that upset about it, but although their website states in big bold letters "Rubber Butt-Pad Included" I sadly didn't receive it.

Maybe it just accidently didn't make it into the box. Who knows. Might email them and see if they'll send me one since it's a $15-20 value. Would be nice to have. :)

Call Rainer and let them know it was missing. Magpul's website does not say its included although it is a recent change.

Verbal Kint
07-12-08, 18:44
Call Rainer and let them know it was missing. Magpul's website does not say its included although it is a recent change.

Yep... just finished leaving a voicemail with them to return my call, and what order and issue it was in regards to. I'm sure they'll make it right, as their website listed it as such when I ordered (and still does).

Like I said... not really all that upset about it, as I very well may not use it either. Just nice to have the option of doing so (since it was supposed to be included), and would save me $19 + S/H if I chose to turn around and order it.

JSGlock34
07-12-08, 19:02
I just ordered and receive my Mil-Spec CTR stock and it also came with the
butt pad attached, it appraently is a recent change is what I was told. All are supposed to come with the Mil-Spec CTR going forward.
Their website does not say anything about the change but this is the experience I had.

Robert

Thanks! Where did you order from? Looks like Brownells is good to go...

austinN4
07-12-08, 19:04
i ordered a mil spec od green one and it came with the pad but it was not attatched, it was in a seperate little bag inside the magpul box... make sure you check your box!(
Same here. My black one was backordered at G&R for a while and as soon as Grant got them in from Magpul he sent mine to me, about a month ago. So I know it was factory fresh. As said above, the pad was in a seperate bag in the box.

Robert 02
07-12-08, 19:08
I ordered through Rainer Arms. Brownells should also be GTG.

RD62
07-12-08, 19:29
My understanding is that Mil models come with the pad and Commercial do not. A different pad is needed for the commercial models due to the sloping nature of the receiver extension rear on the commercial tubes.

I'd definately call Ranier and ask about it. Opps. Sounds like you already did.

Hope you get it sorted out.

-RD62

P.S. The stock is GTG, FYI!

spamsammich
07-12-08, 20:00
I ordered a mil-spec CTR earlier this week and got it yesterday. I just about had a fit when I saw it came with a rubber pad so I broke out the calipers and found that there was just .006" of clearance on the RE, a commercial stock would have had about 0.030" of clearance so I'm convinced I got the right one. That little change really threw me for a loop at first.

Verbal Kint
07-12-08, 20:06
My understanding is that Mil models come with the pad and Commercial do not. A different pad is needed for the commercial models due to the sloping nature of the receiver extension rear on the commercial tubes.

Not sure. *shrug*

I'd definately call Ranier and ask about it. Opps. Sounds like you already did.

Hope you get it sorted out.

-RD62

P.S. The stock is GTG, FYI!

Yep. Sent them an email originally, and then called later (once I thought about it and realized they were 3-4 hrs behind me, and probably still open for the day). Left a voice mail in their system.

Thanks. :)

JSGlock34
07-12-08, 20:28
Thanks for the replies guys. I did a little investigating on my own - check out the 2008 MagPul catalog. The fine print under the CTR says it now comes with the buttpad.

http://www.magpul.com/pdfs/2008catalog.pdf

NickB
07-12-08, 23:09
The milspec and commercial CTR stocks come with a rubber buttpad from the factory. The milspec CTR comes with a standard rubber buttpad, whereas the commercial CTR comes with the "spacer" buttpad to accommodate for the commercial tube dimensions. If you need a slightly longer LOP, the commercial spacer pad can be installed on a milspec CTR, but if the standard pad is installed on a commercial CTR, you will likely not be able to collapse the stock all the way.

Jeffy
07-13-08, 01:42
The milspec and commercial CTR stocks come with a rubber buttpad from the factory. The milspec CTR comes with a standard rubber buttpad, whereas the commercial CTR comes with the "spacer" buttpad to accommodate for the commercial tube dimensions. If you need a slightly longer LOP, the commercial spacer pad can be installed on a milspec CTR, but if the standard pad is installed on a commercial CTR, you will likely not be able to collapse the stock all the way.

Was there a time when the Mil-specs didn't come with the pad?

NickB
07-13-08, 02:26

Yes, but I don't know exact dates. I believe the change over was sometime around the beginning of this year or end of last, but I'll have to double check for you.

Buckaroo
07-13-08, 13:02

Yea, when I bought my first one! :(

Jeffy
07-13-08, 13:05
Yea, when I bought my first one! :(

Hahah, yeah, me too! I bought mine just after Xmas and received it early January.

Stickman
07-13-08, 13:20
Its also very possible that some vendors are sitting on old stock, and may have extra rubber end pieces and/ or CTR without them.

Jeffy
07-13-08, 13:24
Its also very possible that some vendors are sitting on old stock, and may have extra rubber end pieces and/ or CTR without them.

I'm sure that's the case with mine. I'm just curious when the transition happened.

Rock-N-Ruin
07-14-08, 01:07
I picked a FDE CTR a month or so ago at a local gunstore and of course, they had the pads in seperate bags for another $20.00, mine's mil-spec also and they go through alot of stock at this gunstore so I doubt it's that old, I think some less reputable dealers take them out of the box and seperately package them for xtra profit.. Just my opinion though..

SV650Squid
07-14-08, 07:13

I ordered an OD green mil spec CTR from PK firearms recently, and it also had the pad in the box not installed.