PDA

View Full Version : SCAR 17s vs. LaRue PredatOBR 7.62

PatrioticDisorder
04-14-15, 07:14
I have a SCAR 17s, bought it back in 2013 and have yet to shoot it as I was just getting into long guns in 2012 before Sandy Hook, so I've been busy squaring myself away with many irons in the fire. Well I have plenty of 168gr AMAX, 35 SCAR mags, Geissele Super SCAR & Nightforce 2.5-10x32 mil dot waiting for Bobro to release their SCAR mount, along with a Saker 762 all for the SCAR. I have been thinking of putting even more money into the SCAR to get it the way I want it (VLTOR stock, tango down latch, Stryker SEAL for SCAR mags & EACH charging handle and likely Handl extended/long rail).

So lately I've been thinking about the role of this rifle, realistically I won't be running and gunning it or even shooting it off hand very often. Likely it will be shot prone and from the bench, I read guys liked F2S discuss how they do not like the 1/12 twist, I've also read reports of vertical stringing with the SCAR when the barrel heats up.... Couple that with the fact LaRue has caught up on their back orders for the PredatOBR 7.62 and I'm questioning if I should keep the SCAR since I have invested into it and double down and invest some more or if I should sell it for the PredatOBR with the 1/10 twist rate, heavier barrel and more of a purpose build for precision shooting.

Either way, I will lose money selling the SCAR and mags, obviously but I plan to dump a bunch of money into it anyway to get it where I want (and still has 1/12 twist and thinner barrel). If I get the LaRue, i really won't need to do much to it, maybe Raptor CH. One advantage ofhe SCAR had when I bought it, I knew with a company like FN spare parts if needed would be doable, well now LaRue is selling any spare you could ever want for the PredatOBR including barrels, rails and bolts.

So what say the M4C community, keep the SCAR and shoot it or sell it for the LaRue?

Devildawg2531
04-14-15, 07:42
I have a SCAR 17s, bought it back in 2013 and have yet to shoot it as I was just getting into long guns in 2012 before Sandy Hook, so I've been busy squaring myself away with many irons in the fire. Well I have plenty of 168gr AMAX, 35 SCAR mags, Geissele Super SCAR & Nightforce 2.5-10x32 mil dot waiting for Bobro to release their SCAR mount, along with a Saker 762 all for the SCAR. I have been thinking of putting even more money into the SCAR to get it the way I want it (VLTOR stock, tango down latch, Stryker SEAL for SCAR mags & EACH charging handle and likely Handl extended/long rail).

So lately I've been thinking about the role of this rifle, realistically I won't be running and gunning it or even shooting it off hand very often. Likely it will be shot prone and from the bench, I read guys liked F2S discuss how they do not like the 1/12 twist, I've also read reports of vertical stringing with the SCAR when the barrel heats up.... Couple that with the fact LaRue has caught up on their back orders for the PredatOBR 7.62 and I'm questioning if I should keep the SCAR since I have invested into it and double down and invest some more or if I should sell it for the PredatOBR with the 1/10 twist rate, heavier barrel and more of a purpose build for precision shooting.

Either way, I will lose money selling the SCAR and mags, obviously but I plan to dump a bunch of money into it anyway to get it where I want (and still has 1/12 twist and thinner barrel). If I get the LaRue, i really won't need to do much to it, maybe Raptor CH. One advantage ofhe SCAR had when I bought it, I knew with a company like FN spare parts if needed would be doable, well now LaRue is selling any spare you could ever want for the PredatOBR including barrels, rails and bolts.

So what say the M4C community, keep the SCAR and shoot it or sell it for the LaRue?

these are 2 very different platforms. Even with the upgrades the OBR will most likely have more accuracy potential. I would consider the SCAR more of an MBR and the OBR more appropriate if long range precision is really uor goal. Lok at the GAP 10 as an option for this role as well.

Failure2Stop
04-14-15, 08:39
I view the SCAR-H as the most competitive option to Stoner-based 7.62 rifles.
If you are in need of a consistent 1 MOA gun at 600 meters, the LaRue will be more likely to give you what you want out of the box.
If you want a fun blaster that will be shot more inside 600, with shorter bullets, the SCAR will work just fine.

I would be surprised if someone doesn't offer an aftermarket 1:10 or faster barrel for the H soon.

Hank6046
04-14-15, 08:46
I have a SCAR 17s, bought it back in 2013 and have yet to shoot it

What?? Shoot the thing, failure2stop is right, it's a great alternative to Ar-10 platform and a great battle rifle. I'm sure the OBR is an awesome rifle and will be an awesome choice if you go that route, but shoot your SCAR, shoot the piss out of it, I can promise you'll have a smile on your face, even if you end up selling it.

Alpha-17
04-14-15, 09:01
I'm a huge fan of the SCAR platform (avatar and profile picture probably give it away). I think it is probably the best battle rifle/battle carbine on the market today. It also makes for a pretty accurate precision rifle, and people have reported some outstanding groupings with the rifle. The Military Arms Channel posted a video a while back where the SCAR, with 168gr SMK, beat out the LWRC REPR. Interesting because the REPR was designed to be a DMR, while the SCAR is intended for the MBR role.

That said, if you're dead set on using it solely as a bench rest, very long range rifle, then the LaRue may be right for you. Your call on that one. I've shot a LaRue OBR before, and while I found it to be a good rifle, didn't consider it as good as the SCAR as a general purpose carbine. I haven't seen the "vertical strings" you mentioned, but I haven't taken my SCAR out past a couple hundred yards on anything besides a silhouette target.

PatrioticDisorder
04-14-15, 09:33
I view the SCAR-H as the most competitive option to Stoner-based 7.62 rifles.
If you are in need of a consistent 1 MOA gun at 600 meters, the LaRue will be more likely to give you what you want out of the box.
If you want a fun blaster that will be shot more inside 600, with shorter bullets, the SCAR will work just fine.

I would be surprised if someone doesn't offer an aftermarket 1:10 or faster barrel for the H soon.

Thanks Jack, after reading your comments I think I'm going to keep the rifle. I live in south Florida and the only place to shoot out to 500 yards that I know of is Okeechobee (which apparently only opens up to 500 yards on Friday evenings) and a private club in Miami. The closest 1,000 yard range that I know of would be Manatee which isn't exactly close by, so the vast majority of shooting would be 500 yards and under.

What?? Shoot the thing, failure2stop is right, it's a great alternative to Ar-10 platform and a great battle rifle. I'm sure the OBR is an awesome rifle and will be an awesome choice if you go that route, but shoot your SCAR, shoot the piss out of it, I can promise you'll have a smile on your face, even if you end up selling it.

I know, The only rifle I've been shooting consistently is my DD V1. If not for Obama, I'd have less rifles but shooting much more freuquently. I've been trying to set myself up before the next panic. I saw the 2012/2013 panic coming but I had just finished medical school and was an intern, so money wasn't exactly flowing in for me. Now I moonlight every chance I get but still only but a portion of it towards guns and I don't want to find myself in the position of wishing I'd bought more and watching prices sky rocket and availability become nill. I'll be an attending in 14 months and I will damn sure be out shooting every chance I get.

Cost of AR/rifle ownership can get pricey, ammo, mags, spare parts, optics, lights, suppressors, tax stamps.... It all adds up which is what has taken me so long to get to the point I have the SCAR squared away ready to shoot. So yes, it's sad the gun hasn't been shot yet and I just realized the other day I bought it almost exactly 2 years ago but I was trying to do things right.

Firefly
04-14-15, 10:14
Even if it's only 5 rounds...
Please. Shoot your gun. TODAY. TODAY. Think of the poor people in less fortunate states that won't get to do such a thing.

I have an ECC. It cost me a lot. I shot it the day after just for depucelation's sake. Still don't have the optic I want but it goes with me.

Never shot or seen a Larue in the wild but think of the FN you have right now. If you don't get to a 500 yd range hardly ever then a 600 benchrest gun probably won't be as fun because the 2nd biggest investment in long range shooting is optics.

IIRC the SCAR shouldn't eat an Aimpoint or a nightforce. Just saying. Good luck with it.

Failure2Stop
04-14-15, 12:39
The Military Arms Channel posted a video a while back where the SCAR, with 168gr SMK, beat out the LWRC REPR. Interesting because the REPR was designed to be a DMR, while the SCAR is intended for the MBR role.

I would call that more a condemnation of one platform over praising another.

Even if it's only 5 rounds...
Please. Shoot your gun.
I have an ECC. It cost me a lot. I shot it the day after just for depucelation's sake.

1: Congrats on the ECC (yeah, I'm biased, see my sig).
2: I had to look up "depucelation". Bravo Zulu, well played.

Fox33
04-14-15, 15:24
Understand that the "internet authority" (oxymoron if I've ever heard one) for the SCAR serves the financial interests of one person. So I would be very very careful in relying on a sole source of information in making any decisions. Find the other perspectives, hear what they say, draw you own conclusions. This means pro-SCAR or anti-SCAR.

I for one am very pro-SCAR. I wrote a lengthy letter in relation to AR alternatives (SCAR/ACR) Sen Tom Coburn in late 2006. I quoted the socom test of 2001 and a then recent (2006) Navy test. His staff told me that some of my points were put in a letter Senator Coburn gave to the secretary of the army. I think those points had some staying power. I seriously think the SCAR is the immediate future, just not in it's current state.

Once I got my hands on a Mk17 (2008-2009ish) @ 1st SFG, I saw what I thought/ think is the future of small arms. I saw some issues that I didn't like. But when the super smart guys at range 37 told me "**** that hunk of shit" or it's an "80 percent solution". I paid attention. When other team guys and complained about x & y & z I paid attention.

While I have had influence at Handl Defense, I recently became part of the company and now have authority there. Nobody wanted to listen to me at "the internet authority for the SCAR" when I said people do not like the SCAR. That team guys told me about how parts broke/ failed. How at the 18B committee they blew the back off of a few of the guns. How the french army did the same with Mk.16's using rifle grenades. How we were able to replicate these failures. How we know things about that platform that only FN and NSWC Crane know about it and how we found it on our own. It was typical of people who wanted to suppress one company in favor of another, simply they said I was full of shit.

Now units in USASFC have Larue OBR's and they no intent of getting anymore SCAR's

The SCAR is the M16 in 1964, it is in the initial stages of it's development cycle. It is capable of amazing things, I know what we've done with it as a small company. But it faces serious challenges from refined AR based platforms (417, SR25, OBR). But the FN SCAR might (in the future) do many things those platforms cant. It just has to survive long enough.

So understand I love the SCAR and but the Larue OBR is a fine example of rifle with an immense amount of refinement based on decades of institutional knowledge. Decades of refinement the SCAR does not have. If I was unbiased (I'm not) and I wanted a pure SSR, and I had to have it right now, I would buy the OBR over a 17. But give us some more time, and Handl is going to change alot of minds on the SCAR.

Hank6046
04-14-15, 15:46
So understand I love the SCAR and but the Larue OBR is a fine example of rifle with an immense amount of refinement based on decades of institutional knowledge. Decades of refinement the SCAR does not have. If I was unbiased (I'm not) and I wanted a pure SSR, and I had to have it right now, I would buy the OBR over a 17. But give us some more time, and Handl is going to change alot of minds on the SCAR.

Well put, 2 things have been holding me back from buying the SCAR in 7.62x51, the first is my own reasoning of practicality, I don't need a Semi-Auto 308 type Battle Rifle, I really want one, but other guns come to mind for hunting and defensive purposes, and a 308 isn't practical for my home defense needs.

The 2nd reason is, that I would have to throw another $1k into the SCAR in order to make it fit the role I want it to. I would buy a Handl Lower, and a rail that protrudes past the barrel (MI or PWS type), I would throw on a different stock, etc...

This is where my mind slips to the LMT LM308MWSF, I haven't played around with the OBR from Larue, but I have handled this and I love it. For the price of my version of the SCAR I can get this and that means a lot less leg work on my end figuring out what works and what doesn't on after market accessories.

FlyingHunter
04-14-15, 19:55
Long time user of the SCAR 17. Very pleased at several levels. 1st - reliability has been 100%, lightweight and balance make it a pleasure to haul around in the woods hunting all day, accuracy is acceptable but not precision although the deer can't tell the difference.

My suggestion before you put more money into the SCAR or any other platform is to shoot it with enough volume to make your own assessment. Like all rifles, mine seems to prefer some ammunition much better than others concerning accuracy. Mine seems to be unusual in that it's accuracy is better with inexpensive vs premium ammunition with one exception.