PDA

View Full Version : Any experienced 260 Remington loaders around here?

Onyx Z
04-14-15, 10:47
I'm in the market for a 260 Remington bolt gun, so I'm trying to get started with learning all I can now. This will mostly be a long-range target rifle (1k yds max) with some hunting mixed in. It will be a 20"-ish barrel.

I reload 100% of my match ammo, so I don't have a problem creating an accurate round, but I don't really know what components work best in this particular caliber.

Bullets: I typically have the "heavier is better" mindset (with some exceptions). Obviously a heavier bullet has a higher BC, but as you know, heavier = slower. Which bullet is the proven, go to bullet for 260 Remington? I'm thinking the Berger 130gr-140gr VLD's.

Powder: Most likely Varget, unless something else works better. I only use extruded powder for match ammo under the Hodgdon and IMR brands.

Primers: CCI 200 or 250, whichever works best during load development.

Brass: I know Lapua is typically the best, but expensive. What are some good, better, best brands? I wouldn't have a problem converting from 308 brass if need be.

Dies: I plan to consistently use the same brass, so I'm leaning toward a bushing die. FL sizing die vs busing? I do like the fire-formed brass idea.

FWIW, I've never loaded for a bolt gun, but I hear it has more differences than similarities to semi-autos when loading precision rounds. I usually figure it out as I go. Any other suggestions are appreciated also.

jwfuhrman
04-14-15, 12:05
Been loading 142gr SMK on top of 37.5gr of Varget in Lapua brass for a year or so now. Trouble is the 142gr bullet is GREAT out to 600.... but past that its slightly to heavy and you can't push it fast enough to keep it stablized anymore.

After speaking with a bunch of long range shooters, the 140gr AMax and 140gr Berger Hybrid's are THE go to bullet in that weight range. My gun is off being rebarreled to a Shilen 24in SS match grade barrel vs the AAC 24in barrel I had on it so once it comes back I get to start all over again.

the_accuser
04-14-15, 12:21
I picked up a Tikka T3 CTR in .260 Remington last fall and absolutely love it. It has a 20" barrel and is a tack driver. Below are the loads and velocities I've been getting from the 20" barrel. The Berger loads are above book listed max but I worked up slowly and haven't had any pressure issues. I full length size my brass and seat them with just regular Lee Precision dies..nothing fancy and they seem to work fine.

So far all I have used is Lapua brass that I bought new. Primers are Federal 210M for all loads.

My month match load:
Bullet: 140gr Berger Hybrid
Powder: 43.5gr H4350
COAL: 2.900"
Avg Vel: 2717 fps
SD: 4
ES: 13

Other plinking loads:

Bullet: Berger 130gr VLD
Powder: 44gr H4350
COAL: 2.920"
Avg Vel: 2756 fps

Bullet: Lapua 123gr Scenar
Powder: 44gr H4350
COAL: 2.865"
Avg Vel: 2774 fps

Bullet: Lapua 136gr Scenar-L
Avg Vel: 2755 fps

Bullet: Lapua 139gr Scenar
Avg Vel: 2717 fps

Hopefully that gives you some idea of velocity from a 20" barrel. I just started into long range shooting when I bought the rifle and have competed in two local events now. The 140gr Berger Hybrid load has no issues getting to thousand yards and I have had some really great groups with it.

Jason

Onyx Z
04-14-15, 12:49
Been loading 142gr SMK on top of 37.5gr of Varget in Lapua brass for a year or so now. Trouble is the 142gr bullet is GREAT out to 600.... but past that its slightly to heavy and you can't push it fast enough to keep it stablized anymore.

After speaking with a bunch of long range shooters, the 140gr AMax and 140gr Berger Hybrid's are THE go to bullet in that weight range. My gun is off being rebarreled to a Shilen 24in SS match grade barrel vs the AAC 24in barrel I had on it so once it comes back I get to start all over again.

That's what I was worried about with the heavier bullets. I'm thinking the 120-130gr bullets can attain the highest velocity while still having a high BC.

I picked up a Tikka T3 CTR in .260 Remington last fall and absolutely love it. It has a 20" barrel and is a tack driver. Below are the loads and velocities I've been getting from the 20" barrel. The Berger loads are above book listed max but I worked up slowly and haven't had any pressure issues. I full length size my brass and seat them with just regular Lee Precision dies..nothing fancy and they seem to work fine.

Hopefully that gives you some idea of velocity from a 20" barrel. I just started into long range shooting when I bought the rifle and have competed in two local events now. The 140gr Berger Hybrid load has no issues getting to thousand yards and I have had some really great groups with it.

Jason

I've been following your thread for the last couple of weeks. After shooting a buddies 308 CTR this last weekend, I am seriously considering one. It really is a sweet shooter. Have you shot it to 1k?

the_accuser
04-14-15, 12:55
Yep, that 140gr Berger Hybrid screams all the way to a thousand yards. Here are my elevation numbers with that load. My range goes to 1250 yards but I haven't tried that yet. My scope tops out at 9.6 mils so I would have to holdover an estimated 4.5 mils and I'm not comfortable doing that. I'm going to look into one of the new Burris XTR II 4-20x50 scopes with the SCR mil reticle.

600 yards - 3.8 mils up
750 yards - 5.5 mils up
1000 yards - 9.0 mils up

colt933
05-03-15, 14:22
Ditch the varget for H4350 and that 142SMK will be great at 1000.